M246 sensor spots: What is this?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't you EVER give up Henry? :D

I used film thirty years ago and more... and like in your film threads... dust on negatives, in the enlarger, water marks on negatives and dust while drying were problems one would have to overcome as part of the process and in the end, we were mostly successful... some to a higher degree than others.

As far as colour was concerned, MOST amateur home printers had issues with colour, which is why by far the majority did B&W developing and printing... or used slide film.

There are far less issues in digital... and its clean and learnable and it can be every bit as rewarding, if not more, if the image is more important than the means to that image.

OP. Just get your Monochrome sensor cleaned at a Leica store, it will be free of charge and once done, just use a blower brush to keep it that way. I would imagine most sensors need cleaning when new, mine certainly did after a very short period of time, but now it seems to remain clear and with the occasional puff with a rocket blower, its fine...

Edited by Bill Livingston

Bill , true that the film has its problems, but I resolved by developing myself color like b&w, being careful during the  development.

Since I have no scratches or problems with all my films. They are impeccable. I scan and I enlarged on photographic paper

in my home lab. Dust is removed with a compressor.

Sorry for the off topic.

During my last medical humanitarian mission , I had some hundreds photos with dust on the sensor (removed with LR) . It is distressing.

I took the precaution to clean myself the two sensors before my departure. :) 

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

You have to remove dust - it's simply a fact of life.

Getting a sensor cleaned and then checking it from time to time with the cameras sensor check function is very quick and easy to do. Then if another bit of dust finds its way in there, it's easy to clean with a rocket blower.

I had my sensor cleaned by Jimmy Hughes at Leica Mayfair just after I returned from Brazil, I then have had to remove one bit of dust in the last six months with a rocket blower. I check it most weeks, it's always clean... and I am forever changing lenses out in the field, which is where the chances of getting dust inside the camera are at their greatest.

With film, I had to go through a more complicated process with every individual film. I still got dust in the cameras as well.. dust in and behind the focussing screens, dust in the viewfinder, dust in the camera body...

And of course dust on negatives... so you do, every time you use your camera, exactly the same as I do occasionally (I've just realised - for you, that's every thirty six photos! If I had a sensor I needed to clean dust off every 36 pictures, I would give it up!!!)

It seems to me that had you been as assiduous cleaning your sensor as you currently are your negatives during the drying process, we wouldn't be having this discussion and you would still be enjoying your digital M along with your film camera.

The point is, I am sure you can find loads of reasons for you to argue the case for film over digital - but dealing with dust is not the strongest one!

Having used film cameras all my life and transitioned to digital just 15 years ago, I'm staying where I am. I work more or less exclusively in black and white and much prefer the results and enjoy the clean and flexible developing and resulting prints far more With my Leica M-P 240 than I ever did my film or digital Nikons...

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 2

I think it's better to think of Leica digital cameras as being extremely expensive "Artisan" "Homemade" and "Crappy" but unfortunately the best sensor in the best body with the best rangefinder available for the best lenses. You've got to take the rough with the smooth. It's not like your jet-setting life where you can pay for the best service in the best hotels and expect everything to be perfect in your perfect world. Leica digital and film users soon come down to earth off their lofty CEO thrones and learn to doth their cap to physics and nature and ultimately the Leica "Service" center.....where the real frustrations begin.

Sorry about your dust on your sensor.

Pete

It came from the factory dust included free.

Sensor Loupe and Lens Pen, $50, and you can see in real time as you pick up the specs.  Rocket blower & wet cleaning kit is part of every photogs kit.

First step is blow out the area behind the lens and in front of shutter with shutter closed.  Dust can migrate to the sensor.

Leica are about 4 generations of electronics behind everyone else.  Accept or buy a Nikon.

Sure the specs are not on monitor screen?

Edited by tobey bilek

Sensor dust is a pain. It is sadly a fact of digital life. I am out in Central Africa right now. Rather dusty... I spent an hour getting four virtually unremovable blobs off my backup  Sony NEX7 sensor. Fortunately my 240 has only needed a blower brush up to now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Severe sensor dust after only 300 pictures, even the camera hasn’t been exposed to dust in any way - the camera hasn't almost been used at all. Does this sound normal to you, for a camera costing 7.500 USD?

Depends on how and where the camera has been used for one thing. My sensor is always filthy because I'm forever changing lenses regardless of the conditions. I live with it. And my Canons are a bit better because they feature sensor cleaning in the camera but still are by no means dust free. Dust is inherently invisible until its on the sensor so you may or may not be aware of its presence. If you don't like sensor dust then the answer is don't shoot with an interchangeable lens digital camera, or even with one that features a fixed zoom which can suck in air. Dust is in the nature of the beast. How much dust depends on a variety of factors. Price of the camera is utterly irrelevant.

I mounted a new Summicron 35 mm on the camera when i bought it, and the lens has never been taken off the camera. Therefore dust from changing lenses is not an option.

As many have written, dust from a new camera breaking-in (or not) is common enough. The debris could have also come from the new lens!

Camera price does not ensure immunity from sensor glass dust. [...]

Despite trying to explain how a sensor glass soils, you seem adamant that none of the foregoing should affect your camera because it's a Leica and it cost you $7500 US.

No, i’m not expecting miracles despite shooting with one of the most expensice cameras around. Please read what i did write in this post about sensor dust and my experience with other camera brands.

Now if you do not want dust on the sensor and if it stresses you , go to film like me with an MP and M7

I’ve been shooting film with Leica for some years (and i still am), but recently made the decision to use Leica for the digital part also.

Sensor Loupe and Lens Pen, $50, and you can see in real time as you pick up the specs. Rocket blower & wet cleaning kit is part of every photogs kit.

[...]

Sure the specs are not on monitor screen?

Can you recommend anything specific?

I’m not sure if i do understand your question.

Edited by BjarniM
  • Like 1

No, i’m not expecting miracles despite shooting with one of the most expensice cameras around. Please read what i did write in this post about sensor dust and my experience with other camera brands.

I’ve been shooting film with Leica for some years (and i still am), but recently made the decision to use Leica for the digital part also.

Can you recommend anything specific?

I’m not sure if i do understand your question.

As stated previously, original camera price is immaterial ref propensity to sensor soiling.

And users' experiences with sensor cleaning tools and aids differ … so best to make up your own mind by researching methodology as previously suggested … lots of hints/recommendations available via Leica Forum search engine and via You Tube. 

Good luck and hope your camera's sensor glass is soon spotless.

dunk 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my 246.  I was quite surprised as well to find a lot of dust already on the sensor, brand new, like over 40 grains of various sizes plus a hair filament.  Complained to the dealer.  By comparison, I have had my 240 for awhile with only a couple dust grains noticed lately.  Never ever had this much dust in a camera.  I mean, you would expect a brand new camera from the factory, and I opened the sealed box myself so never touched at the dealer, to be quite clean?  Anyway, cleaned it with a rocket blower and good to go.  

• Like 1