Preferred memory card in the S

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The S takes CF and SD cards, what cards do you guys use, and why?

SD is cheaper (because it's more normalized these days)

CF is more expensive but works with IDE norm instead of the SD wrapper... should in theory be more stable! 

SD cards also go way faster than CF cards, but I've read that the S only uses 166MB/s maximum still some overhead room is always good I guess.

SD cards have more upsides than downsides anno 2015, but it also depends on what the camera 'likes/handles' better of course.

Thanks,

Jip

• 2 weeks later...

Please allow me to add the following to this thread:

I am using both, CF and SD cards in my Leica S2 to complement each other (back-up / memory overflow). I only received (bought the camera) yesterday and I do have very limited experience with it. From what I gather, I do prefer CF cards in general as they always appeared to be faster overall - in my various Nikon equipment.

However, and while I am using both recommended media, I just got the following error message when mounting the SD card:   - "cannot read memory card" -  Seems like a read-problem or maybe formatting issue?

The card that gives me the problem is the SanDisk Extreme PRO SDSDXPA-064G-X46 SDXC Flash Memory Card with up to 95MB/s

Can anyone speak to this problem and offer a solution ?

Willy, first of all, congratulations with your S2. I've got one too and it's a great camera.

The other day I tried the 32 Gb version of the SanDisk card you mentioned (actually it's even a MicroSD in SD adapter) and it worked flawlessly. So the card speed seems to be no problem for the S2. Maybe try a few different cards or for once try to format the card in your computer and than again in the camera.

• Like 1

I'm almost sure, but don't have an S2 to try it out, just the Typ 006. But according to the manual I should be right :)

BTW: inside shooting - do you have pbs with the WB? No matter what setting, there's always a red tint. Hate to have to adjust for it in Bridge.

I have noticed that when I turn my camera on, that it takes about 15 seconds or so for the camera to be able to activate my CF card. Beforehand, I cannot shoot.. This happens with both of my 006s and with a variety of Lexar and Sandisk 64 GB cards. I solved it by deactivating the automatic power off.. The downside is that I can go through batteries pretty quickly. I spoke to David Farkas and he felt it was due to the size of the card... Does anyone have this problem?

Albert :(  :(  :(