Preferred Lightroom Profiles & Presets

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/25/2023 at 6:45 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

I seriously advise you to avoid other peoples' presets and start to learn how to get the best out of your own images and Lightroom. If you just use presets, your photos will look just like other peoples': generic. Of course you will be dissatisfied to start with, but you will gradually develop your own eye, and learn how, using Lightroom's tools, you can make your raw image look like what you had in mind when you pressed the shutter. I am also an amateur, but I started with Lightroom 3 and gradually worked out how to use its tools. Everyone has their own approach: mine is a gradualist one, moving sliders a bit to see what happens. A friend took the opposite approach, whacking the sliders to extremes and then winding them back - his initial results were terrible, but he learned quickly!

Don't get hung up on whether to use Adobe Standard, Colour or embedded. Do YOU see a difference? If not, then concentrate on matters where you can see distinct changes for better or worse. No one looking at your photos, either in a national gallery or on this forum is likely to ask which profile you used.

I agree with your view on presets !! ... sadly, I have bought some in the past (when I was more naive !!) and still have them. I have taken the same approach you have by 'playing' with sliders and actually watching some good LR and PS intstructional videos to help figure out some things. Its a process. I use the the presets I have for starting points, maybe to just see how it might look and if I do use it I end up tweaking the sliders anyway. Sometimes my process works for hum-drum photos that I took, they may not be that great or seemingly 'flat' looking but playing with presets can give you a new idea and start you in a different direction. I'm an amatuer as well, so what do i know .. 

Curt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2023 at 3:19 PM, shuttershaz said:

David Farkas from Red Dot Forum shared some of his presets a few years ago, but David & Josh made it quite apparent in one of their recent livestreams that we shouldn't hold our breath for new presets for more recent cameras, including the Q3. 

I know I'm probably late to the party here but they have now created an adaptive preset for the Q3 ..... not tried it yet as my Q3 doesn't arrive till next week :) 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/lightroom-presets-for-leica-cameras/

• Thanks 1