Leica Q -general-

Buyers prefer the mystique and many refuse to believe that anything with a Leica badge isn't crafted entirely by hand in Germany. Look at the fools who swear blind that Leica's aren't made by Panasonic! 

I can understand Leica's preference for ambiguity to be fair. 

I understand the reason, but it opens up the possibility that we are being asked to pay a price for something crafted entirely by hand in Germany ... that isn't.

I can change my mind within 2 seconds I have no rules , this is my strength and my weakness :-)

In that case you changed your mind in the right direction. It was a bit of nonsense-ware. ;)

I understand the reason, but it opens up the possibility that we are being asked to pay a price for something crafted entirely by hand in Germany ... that isn't.

Please quote where Leica claims "entirely made by hand in Germany"....

Their text is "in one of our factories". Which implies Portugal...

• Like 1

And that is the case, what does it matter? Unlike the panaleicas there is no alternative purchase plan and Leica isn't set to discount to counter that the bits are made everywhere. Most manufacturers are assemblers of parts that are sourced  globally., That Iphone is made in China, but if you truly follow the geography of what goes into it, it is truly a global product assembled in China. BTW, the country of origin stamp was something the English demanded first in the 19th century to counter the flood of cheap goods coming in from Germany.

• Like 1

Please quote where Leica claims "entirely made by hand in Germany"....

Their text is "in one of our factories". Which implies Portugal...

Jaapv, I'm not a troll; I'm a long-term Leica user who just wants to know that the Leica he is potentially going to buy is up to the standard of his previous purchases.

From what I have read the Q will probably exceed all previous purchases in the quality of results. You should not equate a genuine concern with an attack on Leica which needs defending.

The text 'in one of our factories' does imply Portugal. I'm fine with Portugal. The statement that the lenses for the T are 'not Panasonic and not Fuji' less so (like who?). Similarly with who makes the sensor for the Q: what's the big secret? As stated previously, the Q will probably exceed all previous purchases in the quality of results, so why make an ambiguity about it?

We have had our disagreements on this thread, please know that it isn't personal and that I always value your opinion.

Mike.

• Like 1

We have had our disagreements on this thread, please know that it isn't personal and that I always value your opinion.

Well said, though Jaap can be a completely unrestrained fanboy ...  :ph34r:

Sorry, I should have said, can come across as a bit of a fanboy ...

Sometimes ...

Or should that be, gives the appearance that Leica can do not wrong ...

Maybe I should get my coat.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Nice camera (which I don't plan to buy....) : my first impressions are :

- They have found a really impressive EVF in terms of resolution.... I'd be curios to know who is the manufacturer... it's probably brand new, so can be further developed in terms of IQ... which makes me think it will be maybe adopted on some future (not fixed lens... ;) ) model

- I don't understand well why they have integrated that "digital zoom" ... probably it has been a rather cheap implementation (in practice, an in camera crop of jpg only)... my wiew of this feature is that is a sort of "blink" to Leica users who liked the frame selector lever... it's practical usage isn't so different from an honest crop in PP.

- 50.000 ISO is also impressive...  I hope they have decided to play SO hardaball on this side with serious motivations... it wouldn't be pleasant to see reviews in which the 50K ISO are treated as a pure marketing plot (I seem to haven't seen yet, in the preliminary reviews, tests on the usabilty of this Ultrahigh ISO)

. finally, I'm curios to see, in case, some tech considerations about the probable diameter of lens "Mouth" vs, thickness of the body.... I mean  .. about the possibility that on this base body they develop an interchangable lens mount with contacts/actuations for AF keeping the space/capability of a M adapter.... B)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

- 50.000 ISO is also impressive...  I hope they have decided to play SO hardaball on this side with serious motivations... it wouldn't be pleasant to see reviews in which the 50K ISO are treated as a pure marketing plot (I seem to haven't seen yet, in the preliminary reviews, tests on the usabilty of this Ultrahigh ISO)

I think Steve Huff has some images at 50k. Grainy as you'd expect, but not ugly, and the colour holds up adequately. Works, but emergency only, if that is representative.

Edited by LocalHero1953

The statement that the lenses for the T are 'not Panasonic and not Fuji' less so (like who?). Similarly with who makes the sensor for the Q: what's the big secret? As stated previously, the Q will probably exceed all previous purchases in the quality of results, so why make an ambiguity about it?

I think Kyocera (or whatever group they are now) would be strong contenders for the T lenses. They made previous lenses and cameras for Leica. 

As for the sensor, well there aren't that many sensor manufacturers out there. We know it's not Sony or Fuji so that leaves just a handful of others. 

Try phoning a designer label and asking who makes their suits! The £1000 ready made suit might be made on the same production line as the £50 suit. Different material, spec, etc., but same sweatshop, same people. 

Well said, though Jaap can be a completely unrestrained fanboy ...  :ph34r:

Sorry, I should have said, can come across as a bit of a fanboy ...

Sometimes ...

Or should that be, gives the appearance that Leica can do not wrong ...

Maybe I should get my coat.

:lol::D:lol:

My heart is beating like crazy today. 3 weeks after getting my M-P240, Leica releases the Q. The Software Engineer inside me screams "BUY IT!".

Now Sony releases the amazing A7rii. Oh god. What a machine... The same software engineer screams "NO, forget the other one. BUY THIS!".

I'm buying it. It will be a very good (ahem) second body to my M-P.

Edited by ebf

My heart is beating like crazy today. 3 weeks after getting my M-P240, Leica releases the Q. The Software Engineer inside me screams "BUY IT!".

Now Sony releases the amazing A7rii. Oh god. What a machine... The same software engineer screams "NO, forget the other one. BUY THIS!".

I'm buying it. It will be a very good (ahem) second body to my M-P.

Well, you brought up Sony's A7rii, a 'release' that they 'pulled-off' today a few hours after Leica released the Q. It certainly seems Sony had this release ready to go at just the right time to steal Leica's big day, and what a shrewd business decision too. I don't recall any firm dates announced for that announcement either. It seems Sony is learning that the market share they've won over the last few years is worth 'protecting'. All this shows that while Leica stepped forward with a seemingly impressive effort, they have seen what awaits them in a new way.

I seemed to have forgotten where I read that the development time for the Q was 16 months? Or maybe not, too, that would seem like a really short amount of time and would have me guessing that Leica and  Panasonic developed it together?

Anyone know anything along those lines?

Well, you brought up Sony's A7rii, a 'release' that they 'pulled-off' today a few hours after Leica released the Q. It certainly seems Sony had this release ready to go at just the right time to steal Leica's big day, and what a shrewd business decision too. I don't recall any firm dates announced for that announcement either. It seems Sony is learning that the market share they've won over the last few years is worth 'protecting'. All this shows that while Leica stepped forward with a seemingly impressive effort, they have seen what awaits them in a new way.

Seriously doubt this

Sony has released 3 cameras

• Like 1

I seemed to have forgotten where I read that the development time for the Q was 16 months? Or maybe not, too, that would seem like a really short amount of time and would have me guessing that Leica and Panasonic developed it together?

Anyone know anything along those lines?

Unless you have some inside knowledge I would suspect that Panasonic has had zero to do with the camera, as it has with the M, T and X series. It's entirely possible however they supplied a capacitor or two. Edited by colonel

I want them to release three Q's.  A 2mm, 50mm and 90mm fixed lens cameras. Interchangeable lens cameras instead of interchangeable lenses.

I can dream can't  I.

Gordon

Excellent point !!

Even just two models, a 28 mm and a 75 mm, would be fine...

• Like 1