Leica Q -general-

My wife doesn't let me use a crop though, only a drag and drop hand ;)

Seriously anyone who has shot digital knows everything they need to know about cropping. Until we get to a billion pixel black silicon sensor, we will need to match the FL to the composition. Buying a FF camera to use as an APS-C camera makes no sense.

I like the idea of a 28mm and a 50mm Q, depending on the final price. Or a single 35mm ... Hint hint

Edited by colonel
  • Like 5

Mine didn't. 

Because you did not pay for the extra back. A databack1 and a  databack2, as a successor.

Extremely handy for me - I used to shoot upwards of a 100 rolls during a fortnight in the bush, so marking the first frame of each roll with the time and date was more than useful.

Because you did not pay for the extra back. A databack1 and a  databack2, as a successor.

Extremely handy for me - I used to shoot upwards of a 100 rolls during a fortnight in the bush, so marking the first frame of each roll with the time and date was more than useful.

Now we have metadata, but I take your point. As I have said previously, I, personally, hope the the Q doesn't have a digital zoom. I, personally, consider such a function to be a gimmick with no place on what I hope is a high-end camera that will probably be expensive. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else who has offered them on this thread. I do, of course, understand the dilemma for any camera manufacturer when bringing a new camera to market: what to add, what to take away. Electronics now make possible an almost infinite array of options to be incorporated into a camera. I'm just hoping that the Q is kept simple. Concentration on essentials. My personal opinion, that's all.

Mike.

Now we have metadata, but I take your point. As I have said previously, I, personally, hope the the Q doesn't have a digital zoom. I, personally, consider such a function to be a gimmick with no place on what I hope is a high-end camera that will probably be expensive. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else who has offered them on this thread. I do, of course, understand the dilemma for any camera manufacturer when bringing a new camera to market: what to add, what to take away. Electronics now make possible an almost infinite array of options to be incorporated into a camera. I'm just hoping that the Q is kept simple. Concentration on essentials. My personal opinion, that's all.

Mike.

Have you seen the Q camera app screenshots? It definately has 'virtual' rangefinder frames and digital zoom. I also think it's a gimmick and not really the path Leica should take, but they've already taken it!

I'm struggling with their thought process behind this idea - did they decide on a 28mm lens then worry that too many people would not pay a lot of money for a camera with a fixed wider angle lens, so someone came up with the idea of digital zoom? Did they think adding in pretend rangefinder frames would maybe ease new owners into the idea of upgrading to an M at some stage?

I just don't see the point in designing a full frame camera, to then add in features that do away with what is probably it's biggest raison d'etre.

The camera still looks very interesting, IF the EVF is superb and not at all laggy, IF the lens is a proper f1.7 (not like the variable aperture lens on the X) and IF the digital zoom is configured in such a way that it can be completely ignored at all times! (I suspect the button on the back or the rear wheel has something to do with it though).

Another thought is will the digital zoom only capture jpegs - with the RAW files still retaining the full image area? I suspect it might as the digital zoom is probably like some in camera processing function.

Just as an aside, Jappv, did you ever forget to turn the databank off after the first frame and imprint the date onto every frame on the roll?  I probably would have.

No - it becomes a fixed habit

I see no harm in an option that can be turned off/not used if considered undesirable and will be found useful by other ( pejoratively described -implicitly- as non-professional here) potential buyers.

And frame lines? I thought it is considered to be an advantage to be able to look outside the frame.

• Like 5

I have to say, I think the crop mode makes an awful lot of sense. Sometimes you can't get close enough to use a 28mm properly. In that case, it is much quicker to crop in than it would be change hypothetical lenses or use another camera. Then you think about the weight saving of not needing multiple lenses, not to mention the cost of one vs many Leica lenses. Plus you still end up with an image of aps-c quality. Thinking about it further, things we/I tend to take pictures of with a 50mm lens tend to be people and details. Neither of which typically call for great enlargement, so apsc-c sized image is likely adequate more often than not. Wide angle lenses tend to make pictures that enlarge well, so the full frame image is a greater advantage. Granted this is also a funtion of viewing distance but the logic still works.

As to people saying it's all about convenience as if it were some sort of criticism, I would suggest that convenience is the entire raison d'etre for digital photography. If it were not we'd all be running around with 10x8's. So greater convenience in this instance makes perfect sense as a development of digital technology. However, this is another topic, for another day...  :)

• Like 1

Have you seen the Q camera app screenshots? It definately has 'virtual' rangefinder frames and digital zoom. I also think it's a gimmick and not really the path Leica should take, but they've already taken it!

I'm struggling with their thought process behind this idea - did they decide on a 28mm lens then worry that too many people would not pay a lot of money for a camera with a fixed wider angle lens, so someone came up with the idea of digital zoom? Did they think adding in pretend rangefinder frames would maybe ease new owners into the idea of upgrading to an M at some stage?

I just don't see the point in designing a full frame camera, to then add in features that do away with what is probably it's biggest raison d'etre.

The camera still looks very interesting, IF the EVF is superb and not at all laggy, IF the lens is a proper f1.7 (not like the variable aperture lens on the X) and IF the digital zoom is configured in such a way that it can be completely ignored at all times! (I suspect the button on the back or the rear wheel has something to do with it though).

Another thought is will the digital zoom only capture jpegs - with the RAW files still retaining the full image area? I suspect it might as the digital zoom is probably like some in camera processing function.

No, I haven't seen the screenshots, do you have a link to them please? It won't be too bad if the digital zoom only works with jpeg as I never use them. I wonder if the camera will allow DNG-only capture?

Mike.

Nope, use the 35mm settings on my Ricoh GR quit often as other GR-users as well. DoF discussions for 28/35mm are useless, you will barely see any difference, not to forget the typical user of this camera type uses most often apertures around 5.6 and higher, and distortion is easily to handle in LR or whatever SW. But most important, if you don't like it, don't use it. Can't see a problem here. Same (imho) stupid discussion as with the video function in the new M's.

Yogi

there is something called Photoshop to allows me crop any image to any focal distance I pleased. Don't need the feature on camera. And yes, there is a lot of difference between a 28 and a 35mm lens in DoF.