The joy of M-240 and 28 summicron asph

I am wondering whether 35 lux would have been a better choice? Or is it that greater depth and slower shutterspeed makes 28cron a better choice for these kind of photos?

I have both (had 28cron first) and still not sure which one to use in low light environmental shots.

I'm with you all the way about using the M240 in low light for performances:

Cambridge Musical Improv - Paul Ashley Photography

Most of these were taken with the Apo-Summicron 75 Asph, or, for bigger scenes, the Elmarit 28mm Asph. ISO 1250-2500.

I still get a lot of focus misses, but OTOH I know that when I press the button, I will get the shot I see in the VF - not the one half a second later. Most of my successful shots here were a result of deliberately catching just that precise action moment.

I'd be interested to hear of your practice, Chris, with regards to the mixed lighting you get in theatre. I aim for more or less natural skin tones and let the rest of the scene end up where it does. It looks like you have a more tolerant (?) approach.

Edit: I love the shots, BTW. All the action. But I don't think the play is for me!

Edited by LocalHero1953

These are quite remarkable, Chris. I too would be interested in your actual set up. Did you zone focus, or refocus for each shot? What do you mean by "silly slow shutter speeds" with this lens? Seriously, these are inspiring. I would never have thought about using that great lens for this situation. I too would have instinctively chosen a 24 or 35 lux.

I agree that the rangefinder is the best way to focus in low light.

I always take a few shots with my M at gigs, i seem to shoot most of the low light gigs with pit access with the M, and the occasional frame here and there with the 1DX (i don't like the way it behaves in weird light, the M seems to be much more accurate)

Chris - that looks like an interesting sort of production

Edited by Echo63

Thanks for kind comments. Some replies re practice:

LENS CHOICE - because I was able to work so close the 35 wasn't relevant, and seems not to do the job for a large number of assignments I get involved in. I'm happiest when I'm able to get a participant perspective, and the 28 gives me this. I suspect that the 21 would also be really useful, but I'm simply not happy working with an external viewfinder (either Frankenfinder or EVF) in these kinds of context, and although the EVF has some advantages, the shutter delay is a killer in this setting.

WORKING PRACTICE - whenever I can I cover rehearsal / dress rehearsal, and negotiate to be the only photographer there. I've also spent a long time building trust with the company, and this gives me the possibility of being ON the stage, IN the action, rather than shooting from off the set. This transforms what you can get. Clearly, in some contexts this isn't possible (see: A Winter's Tale and I'm forced into using longer lenses (usually 5 Series Canon... + 70-200), though it's still possible to use the M when action moves forward and you can lean in). I have used a DSLR + fast 70-200 and 300 lenses, working off a tripod on a platform in the auditorium, but it's not the same experience - a bit like shooting fish in a bucket :)

WB / FOCUS / EXPOSURE

I've found (especially with the M) that shooting RAW and using AWB gives remarkably usable results, and requires minimum in post. When an issue arises and things look wrong, I follow Thorsten's advice and set the WB to 3200 and work from there until it LOOKS right.

When it comes to focus, the thing I love about the M is that you CAN focus, even in ridiculously low light. The shot below would have been focused before shooting. In theatre, I never need to estimate focus - there's always enough time.

Exposure is a slightly different story as I'll set exposure manually for a sequence, adjusting when there's a noticeable shift in light value. I usually leave the lens fully open on the 28 and set it to f2 or f2.8 on the 50 summilux (the other lens I used for this shoot). The image below was exposed at 1/15th and only needed a +.4 stop in exposure.

Interestingly, from my point of view, in the >600 images I handed to the client, 525 were taken with the 28mm and 101 were taken with the 50mm. I should add that it's essential to be working with 2 bodies under these circumstances.

Hope this is useful.

Best

Chris

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4