28mm Summicron ASPH -- what to expect?

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used it both on M9 and now on M240. The only difference I can see is that on M240 I have to apply little bit of sharpening whereas on M9 I applied *no* sharpening at all.

... aah, another difference... on M9 I could shoot at much lower shutter speed but on M240 I have to be careful. I use one stop more. I guess it is due to higher megapixel. This is with optical finder. In the beginning I was tempted to use liveview/EVF and noticed that I had to keep shutter speed even higher (one more stop) for sharp picture.

I think the extra resolution of the M240 is the critical difference. I also notice a need to sharpen slightly more than on the M9.

I've just tried the 28 Cron on a newly acquired M6 and it is stunning.

• 5 months later...

I want to ask other members whether they also have come across the purple/magenta blotch for flare when the sun is inside the frame. I love the sunstars from this lens but I hate the flare. Sometimes picture is salvageable by converting to B&W but not the color.

Is it common or few copies are affected?

See below:

http://www.digipixelpop.com/?p=192

Both 12589 & 12466 hoods are larger than the aperture ring and tend to get in the way when rotating the latter. I prefer the 12588 (1rst pic on the left) from this standpoint but due to the lack of locking ring it tends to drop more easily than the formers.

Any idea where to get this hood? Or is it unobtainable?

The wobbly front/poor hood options are the (only) major downfall of the 28 Cron for me. 

I really like the 12589 hood once fitted, but getting it on and off (to use colour filters for example) is never straightforward and slowly but surely contributes to the wobble.

It also impacts the aperture ring, though not so much that I can't overlook that.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Can I ask... Does this hood sit on the 28 Cron OK? I can just pinch the clips, manoeuvre onto the existing hood ring and all is well?

I don't like the locking ring on the other option (12589?) It's too fiddly, which is a shame as the hood sits tightly once attached.

I prefer the rectangular hoods to the vented ones, they're far more practical for storage.

If you are using the standard square hood, be very careful not to be mounting or unmounting the lens with the hood. It takes a conscious effort not to do this. The front section of the lens is only held in place by three tiny grub screws, which tend to come loose anyway. Many of us long term users of this wonderful lens, have found it separating into two pieces :(

This is one of Leica's less robust bits of engineering design. I have changed to a different hood (Contax GG1 46mm threaded fitting), which is much neater, provides just about enough shading and makes it much easier to mount and unmount the lens by holding the body not the hood.

Wilson

The exact hood I use. I also have the 12466 but i find this to be the most convenient slipping into the bag as it doesn't catch onto anything. Easily obtained in black on eBay.