Premium camera bags - which one??

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the "Holy Crap" department: Leica System Case, Schedoni - Leica Store Miami

That case is just an oversized (and overpriced) briefcase – in what sense can it possibly be described as an "M system case" anymore than any bag with a handle on it? Just look at this photo of it in action.:confused::D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd love a super froofroo double nappa leather case for my gear but it definitely raises your profile as a target. As much as I want to show my toys off I prefer to be low profile when I'm out and about. Especially when traveling. My ideal premium bag would have modern padding and inserts on the inside yet look like a beat up old army surplus bag on the outside.

That tactic has been perpetuated since the beginning of the internet. The fact is, by now there isn't a thief alive who hasn't heard it. Plus very few thieves specialize exclusively in cameras. A guy carrying a bag might have a tablet or iphone or maybe even his wallet in it. Steal first, ask questions later. And of course, if the thief happens to observe you pulling your camera out of that "discreet" bag, the jig is up.

I have a leather Billingham Hadley that I've owned for around 15 years. I don't believe it's made any more - and was only available outside of the UK as far as I know.

If I were buying a new bag, which I'll have to do at some point, I'd probably get one of these and use it with a Billingham insert...

Barbour Leather Tarras Bag | Country Bags, Cases & Handbags

• Like 1

I have a leather Billingham Hadley that I've owned for around 15 years. I don't believe it's made any more - and was only available outside of the UK as far as I know.

If I were buying a new bag, which I'll have to do at some point, I'd probably get one of these and use it with a Billingham insert...

Barbour Leather Tarras Bag | Country Bags, Cases & Handbags

I just scored one of those ^ on fleabay for US$165. If I find it too heavy as a camera bag I'll just use it as a brief bag. It looks awesome. Also got me one of these http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/361161-hu-cool-stealth-bag-will-take.html . Same deal, if it doesn't work for me as a camera bag it'll work as something else.

The nice thing about leather (quality leather, not that thin froo-froo crap) is that it will keep your electronics nice and cool. My Saddleback bag will keep an bottle of ice water nice and cold for a good six hours.

Of course, good leather is also fire-trucking heavy... so I almost never use that bag except on longer trips.

• 3 weeks later...
Sir, with a trophy wife, a BMW "M" &

4 Leicas, I can assure you All my toys and husbandly duties

are carried out to the fullest extent. Sent from my internet & voice connected

wheel chair...:eek: lol

Ah a fellow M driver and M shooter! Hello. I'm just missing the trophy wife.

Fogg, Oberwerth, Wotancraft and Grafea seem to be highest regarded premium bags I can find not counting insanely priced LV, Hermes, etc. I wish I could find one that looks like the Grafea but not made of leather.

Billingham 550. The ultimate premium camera bag! Fabulous build quality and will take anything, and in fact virtually everything. After carrying it around full for a time, anything else will seem like luxury. I used to have one and have the back problems to prove it. And its secure, providing its full you will be able to catch any thief trying to make off with it - exhaustion will soon set in. Motorcycle thieves will fall from their bikes due to the bag's inertia.

I now use a rucksack for my cameras (make irrelevant) but have a Hadley Pro for when I feel the need for a premium camera bag;).

I have a Billingham 550 - it is the king of shoulder carried camera bags. It is a keeper.

Trouble is, I have to use a rucksack design these days so that the weight is evenly distributed on both shoulders. Anything heavier than my Billingham Hadley Pro with my M240 and a couple of lenses causes a lot of shoulder pain.

Probably caused by years of schlepping 25+ pound loads in a camera bag thrown over one shoulder. :rolleyes:

[quote=Carlos Danger;2885337

Probably caused by years of schlepping 25+ pound loads in a camera bag thrown over one shoulder. :rolleyes:

Definitely caused by that...I have a shoulder that now constantly reminds me of the same abuse that I once, so unthinkingly, doled out to it.

These days I carry only one camera and lens full time; MM/APO 50 combo. The neat and snazzy little ONA Berlin 2 that I bought a few months ago has proven to be just the thing, I could not be happier with it!

• Like 1