The LEICA M-P screw - what's behind it...

LUF Admin

OT I noticed some digital M have the rf window to illuminate the rf patch and some not. Any ideas why?

The RF patch uses the little window on the shutter release side of the camera and is there on all Leica RF cameras. However, the framelines are illuminated using LEDs in the M240 and ambient light via the extra (ribbed) window on all regular production bodies pre-M240.

Edited by wattsy

Am I the only person that thinks this fixation on one screw covering an access hole as with other cameras previously is quite odd?

I can say that on the black version that I saw it is essentially invisible as part of the camera styling, but really who cares so much that one trivial cosmetic detail is worth so much focus? It is a more classical look option for the M that adda a couple of changes that may or may not matter to individuals and costs more than the standard M. Nothing taken away.

• Like 3

... but really who cares so much that one trivial cosmetic detail is worth so much focus?

Well, Leica apparently does….they make an extra $1000 or so per camera every couple of years selling mostly small cosmetic 'upgrades' to willing buyers. Not to mention the special editions.

Leicaland. No offense to Disney.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

What I can't understand is why nobody has posted what's really behind that screw. It's obviously concealing a gateway to Mordor. The great big "Lidless Eye Of Sauron" red dot was a little too obvious for some tastes and a tad less than fashionable in this post-Snowden age of ours. Toning it down, if only just a little, with that all-too-large screw-head makes the surveillance less obvious from a distance, yet still creepy enough when you get close enough to see what's really there.

...Mike

Well, Leica apparently does….they make an extra $1000 or so per camera every couple of years selling mostly small cosmetic upgrades to willing buyers. Not to mention the special editions.

Leicaland. No offense to Disney.

Jeff

Jeff, last time I checked it was a buyer decision whether you wanted to buy a new version!

:D. Were the standard camera to be discontinued, I think it would be a different situation, but it has not been.

Personally I like the more classical styling, in the chrome especially, but the changes are unimportant for me. I never saturated the buffer in my M once and I'm happy with the Gorilla glass on the LCD of my M too.

• 2 weeks later...