what adapter to use screw in lens?

brickftl

Adapters for L39 screwmount to Leica M come in three different versions, corresponding to the three positions of the frame line selector on a M camera. As your 25 mm lens does not match any internal frameline of the M, you might use any of the three versions. There is no further difference between these versions except the frameline selected. 

I have used the KIPON L39-M Adapter for 28 90mm Leica L39 Mount Lens >> Leica M-Mount Camera from Amazon. It is a bit stiff sometimes to attach. But very good, allows 6-bit painting.

Great lens by the way.

Edited by Alberti

4 hours ago, Alberti said:

I have used the KIPON L39-M Adapter for 28 90mm Leica L39 Mount Lens >> Leica M-Mount Camera from Amazon. It is a bit stiff sometimes to attach. But very good, allows 6-bit painting.

Great lens by the way.

so just to be clear, I'll be able to attach and use the Voigt 25/4 snapshot skopar with the he KIPON L39-M Adapter for 28 90mm Leica L39 Mount Lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One thing to check though - some of the adapters will interfere with the lens detection on the M10, so if you're using live view what will happen is light will hit the sensor and cause your camera to think no lens is attached, and the shutter will close as it exits live view. You mentioned the 25/4 so if you're relying on live view or the visoflex to frame, you might run into the issue. 

A piece of tape will solve the problem temporarily by blocking the light, but it's annoying. 

8 hours ago, brickftl said:

Hi, I'm getting a Voigt 25/4 snapshot skopar, and I understand because it's a screw-in lens, I need to get an adapter.

Does anyone know what adapter I need? Thanks.

A 35/135 adapter would give you the same frame lines as a 24mm lens. The Light Lens is good and if you want to code it then the Rayqual.

eBay has many m lens flange adapters for L39 crew mount lenses . make sure to get one with 6bit coding . for a 24mm lens , i would probably

get a 28/ 90  on a full frame m because it would give you the widest frame lines . i am using a canon 28mm 3.5 screw mount on my m240 . , and i also have a cannon

25mm 3.5 that i have used on my m8 ( on the m8 this is like a 30mm - using a 35 mm flange  brings up frame lines for using a 24mm lens ) 

8 hours ago, Stevejack said:

One thing to check though - some of the adapters will interfere with the lens detection on the M10, so if you're using live view what will happen is light will hit the sensor and cause your camera to think no lens is attached, and the shutter will close as it exits live view. You mentioned the 25/4 so if you're relying on live view or the visoflex to frame, you might run into the issue. 

A piece of tape will solve the problem temporarily by blocking the light, but it's annoying. 

Exactly. Because live view will be needed with the Skopar I would strongly suggest to buy an adapter that does not have the long cutout along the rim. It is this cutout that causes the problems with live view. Shorter cutouts do not cause live view problems and have the possibility to paint a 6-bit code. There are also adapters without a cutout (e.g. Voigtländer). 

The original reason for the cutout is that some L39 lenses have a focusing ring with an infinity lock next to the mount (e.g. the collapsible Elmar 5cm).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mujk said:

Exactly. Because live view will be needed with the Skopar I would strongly suggest to buy an adapter that does not have the long cutout along the rim. It is this cutout that causes the problems with live view. Shorter cutouts do not cause live view problems and have the possibility to paint a 6-bit code. There are also adapters without a cutout (e.g. Voigtländer). 

The original reason for the cutout is that some L39 lenses have a focusing ring with an infinity lock next to the mount (e.g. the collapsible Elmar 5cm).

just to be clear, is this a cutout that DOES have a long cutout that I should avoid?

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Thread-Leica/dp/B003EB325C/ref=pe_386300_442618370_ci_mcx_mi_sccl_1/146-6103750-8377347/ref=ci_mcx_mi?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003EB325C&psc=1&pd_rd_w=2uIWT&content-id=amzn1.sym.aa7707e8-6668-4703-8ba7-34121100333f%3Aamzn1.symc.54fc3377-3bca-4a3a-9297-605d601e33cd&pf_rd_p=aa7707e8-6668-4703-8ba7-34121100333f&pf_rd_r=SX9EFR9RA89PNYK3AT9Y&pd_rd_wg=CO5uU&pd_rd_r=c8231f07-8a19-4fd9-b98b-14ed4385f1c5

You need an adapter as shown right in the image below

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

31 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

You need an adapter as shown right in the image below

I'd be grateful if you could tell me where to get the one on the right, thanks!

3 hours ago, brickftl said:

Yes, the adapter in the image has a long cutout. I would suggest searching for an adapter that has the possibility to paint a 6-bit code. This means that any cutout does not extend as far as the lens detection sensor. As mentioned by @Alberti at least Kipon makes these:

https://www.kipon-global.com/product-page/adapter-for-leica-m39-6-bit-code-mount-lens-on-leica-m-28-90-mm-camera

Voigtländer adapters without a cutout might be available only used. Cameraquest sells these now:

https://shop.cameraquest.com/leica-screw-mount-adapters/rayqual-28/90-6-bit-coded-leica-screw-mount-type-iii-leica-screw-mount-lens-to-leica-m-body-adapter/

Edited by mujk

37 minutes ago, mujk said:

Yes, the adapter in the image has a long cutout. I would suggest searching for an adapter that has the possibility to paint a 6-bit code. This means that any cutout does not extend as far as the lens detection sensor. As mentioned by @Alberti at least Kipon makes these:

https://www.kipon-global.com/product-page/adapter-for-leica-m39-6-bit-code-mount-lens-on-leica-m-28-90-mm-camera

Voigtländer adapters without a cutout might be available only used. Cameraquest sells these now:

https://shop.cameraquest.com/leica-screw-mount-adapters/rayqual-28/90-6-bit-coded-leica-screw-mount-type-iii-leica-screw-mount-lens-to-leica-m-body-adapter/

thanks for that! I checked the Kipon and it says Adapter for Leica M39 6 bit code Mount Lens on Leica M 28-90 mm Camera.Just want to make sure before pulling the trigger that this will work even though the lens I'm looking at is a 25 - Voigt 25/4 snapshot skopar

22 hours ago, brickftl said:

Hi, I'm getting a Voigt 25/4 snapshot skopar, and I understand because it's a screw-in lens, I need to get an adapter.

Does anyone know what adapter I need? Thanks.

I have this lens and here are the adapters I have tried. I have the Light Lens, Rayqual and Fotodiox Pro. I found the first two gave me the best results. If you want to code it the Rayqual is best.  You can see the three adapters in the photos attached. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This picture shows the lens with the Rayqual. 

This is the lens with the Fotodiox Pro adapter. The thing I did not like about this one is that the lens doesn't thead on so the index is at the top. It is offset a bit. 

Just now, RobW0 said:

I have this lens and here are the adapters I have tried. I have the Light Lens, Rayqual and Fotodiox Pro. I found the first two gave me the best results. If you want to code it the Rayqual is best.  You can see the three adapters in the photos attached. 

This is the lens with the Fotodiox Pro adapter. The thing I did not like about this one is that the lens doesn't thead on so the index is at the top. It is offset a bit. 

oh thanks for that very much! I'll look for the first 2.

And just wondering, how do you like the skopar? I want to get it because I saw a video that if there's enough light to set it at f8 or higher, and with a shutter say not slower than say 1/250, it basically turns into a point and shoot, not having to think about settings. Is that your experience? Are you happy with images it produces?

5 minutes ago, RobW0 said:

is this the Rayquel you have? I'm confused by the description which seems contrary to the 25 skopar - 50-75mm

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1797824-REG/rayqual_lm50_75l_lens_mount_adapter_for.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_lar&lsft=BI%3A514&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5rGuBhCnARIsAN11vgTDXZHl-lYJS8N7uaFZGbYRoYM6sf6Oxxu-cBqD-QLVVmT8f0lQSOsaAhuXEALw_wcB

5 minutes ago, brickftl said:

oh thanks for that very much! I'll look for the first 2.

And just wondering, how do you like the skopar? I want to get it because I saw a video that if there's enough light to set it at f8 or higher, and with a shutter say not slower than say 1/250, it basically turns into a point and shoot, not having to think about settings. Is that your experience? Are you happy with images it produces?

I have not had the lens very long. I have been happy with what little I have used it. It is a good zone focus lens not being rf coupled. I like the indents for the different focus points. I used the 35/135 adapter because that is the same frame lines that are activated by a 24mm lens. 

The Rayqual is available here:

https://shop.cameraquest.com/leica-screw-mount-adapters/rayqual-24/35/135-6-bit-coded-leica-screw-mount-type-iii-leica-screw-mount-lens-to-leica-m-body-adapt