Remaining/new bugs in FW 2.0.1.5

Guest roey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After installing the new firmware update my EVF2 is unusable about 95% of the time. It shows a bunch of lines horizontal and/or vertical and no image. About 5% of the time it works normally. It worked fine before the update. What could I try to fix it. I did try reloading the update but that didn't help. All the other features of the update appear to work properly, and the camera shows the firmware update 2.0.1.5.

Did you check all of your settings? Many of them revert to default options after update rather than your selected settings (e.g., DNG to JPEG, different metering mode, etc).

Jeff

Did you try re-seating the viewfinder? Those are tiny connections and the slightest bit of corrosion on the contacts could cause intermittent problems like you describe.

Or, you may want to download the software again and re-install. If there had been a glitch in the line or transmission error when you were downloading, you wouldn't know until installation failed or the camera didn't function properly. If the original file had been zipped, it would likely not have unzipped if it was corrupted. But it wasn't zipped so you don't have that extra security here. I'd try again.

Edited by brusby

The time zone and daylight savings settings are still being stored in the custom profiles. This means that I have to either recreate my profiles twice a year (and every time I travel to a different time zone) or that I just can't use the time zone and DST settings and have to adjust the time manually.

your idea would limit the profiles to time settings only or many more Profils would be required. This would be a step backwards. I suggest you utilise the boarding to set the time . It is not a bug.

That is correct that is the file you must put on your SD card. You cannot open it.

Drag the file from the downloads folder in your browser into the window of your opened SD card.

I have placed it on the card but the camera does not prompt to update firmware.

Normally, I would download a zipped file from Leica, unzip the file and open the folder. inside the folder would be the firmware file which i would then copy onto the card.

Now there is no zipped file, only this blank icon named M_240-2.0.1.5.FW. This is not recognized by the camera.

Normally, I would download a zipped file from Leica, unzip the file and open the folder. inside the folder would be the firmware file which i would then copy onto the card.

Now there is no zipped file, only this blank icon named M_240-2.0.1.5.FW. This is not recognized by the camera.

Did you read the instructions? You have to hold down the info button while powering up...you need a well-charged battery too.

• Like 1

you must hold down the info button when starting the camera.

The file must be in the root of the SD card.

If you are on a mac, there is no zipped file. The file downloaded is the FW.

Just copy it to the root of the SD card...insert it in the camera with power off, then hold down the info button and turn on the camera.

as soon as the camera powers up you can release the info button.

NOTE: Battery must be over 50%

The instructions can be found in the same location as the FW:

http://us.leica-camera.com/content/download/118283/1179298/version/1/file/Instruction+Firmware+Update+M240_en.pdf

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did recheck my settings. I also pressed the reset in the menu and then reset all my settings to what I think I had before. I have also tried reseating the EVF on the hot shoe several times. I removed the EVF and tried it on my X-Vario and it works just fine there, replaced it on the M240 and the first time it worked for a few seconds and then went to the broken lines display. The second time I tried it on the X-Vario it worked there and when switching it back to the M240 it didn't work. I think that something happened during the install of the new firmware. I would like to be able to uninstall the firmware and reinstall it, but I don't know how to do that.

I did recheck my settings. I also pressed the reset in the menu and then reset all my settings to what I think I had before. I have also tried reseating the EVF on the hot shoe several times. I removed the EVF and tried it on my X-Vario and it works just fine there, replaced it on the M240 and the first time it worked for a few seconds and then went to the broken lines display. The second time I tried it on the X-Vario it worked there and when switching it back to the M240 it didn't work. I think that something happened during the install of the new firmware. I would like to be able to uninstall the firmware and reinstall it, but I don't know how to do that.

You can't "uninstall" FW. You can only reinstall it.

does LV work on the LCD?

I have placed it on the card but the camera does not prompt to update firmware. Normally' date=' I would download a zipped file from Leica, unzip the file and open the folder. inside the folder would be the firmware file which i would then copy onto the card. Now there is no zipped file, only this blank icon named M_240-2.0.1.5.FW. This is not recognized by the camera.[/quote']

After put the file on to top of the card, insert and hold info while sw on hold for awhile, better read an instruction.

• Like 1

Did you try re-seating the viewfinder? Those are tiny connections and the slightest bit of corrosion on the contacts could cause intermittent problems like you describe.

Or, you may want to download the software again and re-install. If there had been a glitch in the line or transmission error when you were downloading, you wouldn't know until installation failed or the camera didn't function properly. If the original file had been zipped, it would likely not have unzipped if it was corrupted. But it wasn't zipped so you don't have that extra security here. I'd try again.

I did re-download the update file from the website. I copied it to the root directory of an SD card that I had formatted in the camera. I placed the card in the camera, held the info button and turned on the camera. I got a 3-4 second long message on the LCD saying "loading data", then "Update Complete." The EVF still doesn't work. My other settings in the menu went back to default, so something happened but the EVF doesn't work, everything else seems to. The EVF continues to work on my X-Vario.

Guest roey
your idea would limit the profiles to time settings only or many more Profils would be required. This would be a step backwards. I suggest you utilise the boarding to set the time . It is not a bug.

Either you have misread my post or I don't understand yours.

Let me try it again:

Right now, if I travel to a different time zone (or switch between DST and non-DST) I use the time zone setting (or the DST setting) in the menu to adjust the time. If I then select one of my profiles the camera sets the time back to match the time zone (DST) setting that was active when I created the profile. I.e. it treats the time zone and DST setting as part of the profile. I fail to see how that is not a bug.

• Like 2

try a pencil eraser on all the contacts on both the camera and the evf

That made it work for 30 sec. or so. I now believe that I have a connection problem between the EVF and the camera. I can put some twisting moment on the EVF and it will work while I hold pressure on it. Seems like something I may have to get repaired on the camera. I appreciate all the responses and helpful suggestions.

• Like 1

That made it work for 30 sec. or so. I now believe that I have a connection problem between the EVF and the camera. I can put some twisting moment on the EVF and it will work while I hold pressure on it. Seems like something I may have to get repaired on the camera. I appreciate all the responses and helpful suggestions.

I'd suspect either remaining crud on your contacts, or possibly even a cold solder joint on the camera's contacts.

Also, inspect for a bent, broken or loose contact on the camera.

When you touch them with the eraser, does one move more or differently than the rest?

Edited by brusby

I find this more amusing, than an actual bug. But if you select Classic/LV disabled and have the EVF attached. The LV button is disabled, the back screen is disabled. The EVF works and so does the focus peaking button. Verrry interesting.

• Like 1