R solution that's better than the DMR

ryee3

I used to use the SD14 with my Leica lenses (modified the camera mount so I didn't have to fiddle with individual lens mounts). I really, really liked the output, but for me the major drawbacks were that there was no auto diaphragm and the procssing time between shots semed intolerably long. Maybe the SD15 improved on that.

• 4 months later...
My problem with Canons is that I can't use all my R lenses on the full frame Canons, because of mirror clearance issues, and the non full frame ones are, well, non full frame. So there is something wrong for me with all the Canons.

I get what you're saying but any solution that's not a Leica R8/9 DMR is compromised at some level.

The prefect solution would be a full frame DMR which isn't even possible without major modification to the film gate of the R8/9...

Not to mention the non existence of a full frame DMR.

I'm trying to imagine how difficult and expensive it would be to rebuild a DMR with a current full frame sensor and and then modify an R9 so it fits and works properly.

It's certainly not impossible but not probable either.

I had the DMR for 4 years and decided to go FF with a Sony A850. At that time, the A850/A900 are the only FF bodies that do not have mirror interference with most, if not all R lenses. My 19mm R worked without any issues. However, when I bought the M240, I decided to revert these leitaxed alpha lenses to their original R mounts. But the M240 with its low resolution and slow EVF is not the R solution. I prefer to use the R lenses with the A7R.

N S Ng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You must like the DMR colors. Make a profile with color checker to have canon colors match Leica. Use the RGB and ymc squares and make a preset.

There is no solution for lack of auto diaphragm.

The kludge solution in M240 is EVF.

I sold most of my R lenses keeping a 100 2.8, 60 2.8 and a few others to make a basic set and they are in NIkon mounts.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an acceptable DMR replacement solution. I have been looking, but my DMR still remains. On the other hand, I'm very happy with my D800 and prime N... lenses, and soon the D810. However, my R lenses firmly remain with their original R mounts.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an acceptable DMR replacement solution. I have been looking, but my DMR still remains. On the other hand, I'm very happy with my D800 and prime N... lenses, and soon the D810. However, my R lenses firmly remain with their original R mounts.

I agree - however there is some excellent work using the M240 and adapter around

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/members/60691-albums6086.html

• Like 1

Actually, I must correct myself, in a way. The only acceptable R solution (from Leica) is not really an R solution at all. It's an R on steroids: the Leica S/S2. Going from the R to the S will be effortless for any R user, the R lineage screaming straight from the S system.

Unfortunately, it does not accept R lenses but it is really a superb, although somewhat limited, system. However, what little is there is the ultimate in quality, doing what it does well, extremely well. My only complaint will remain that it is still very slow and deliberate. Some will argue that in fact it's a strength, I would also agree in spite of my proverbial complaint.

Actually, I must correct myself, in a way. The only acceptable R solution (from Leica) is not really an R solution at all. It's an R on steroids: the Leica S/S2...

A lens that would yield the same angle of view on the S as a 280mm lens on the DMR would be 560mm; this 560mm lens would need to be a macro lens to get a object field similar to the 280 on the DMR, and I frequently use an extender and/or extension tube with the 280. As much as I like the S/S2 concept I don't think it would be practical for me.

I truly understand your point Doug. To be practical, that lens you speak of would definitely be a monster. Already, the existing S lenses are rather large. I like the S concept too but in many ways, as I stated before, it has various limitations for different needs. In my case, I wish they put 2 Maestro processors working in parallel or even boost the chip's efficiency to make it 400-500% faster.. One can dream of course.. In the meantime, a D810 will more than suffice.

I'm with Doug here. I still love using my two DMRs. I hate to think how much and S equivalent of my treasured 180/2 Summicron would weigh. I can hand hold my 180 cron in the photographers' pit at gigs. The S monster version might be a very different matter.

Anyway, I don't see any reason to change. It's not as if the DMR has suddenly stopped making great quality images. I regularly print up to A2 from my DMR shots and it's not a problem. Also, my wife, Sue, thinks she has better things to spend money on!

Charlie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I must correct myself, in a way. The only acceptable R solution (from Leica) is not really an R solution at all. It's an R on steroids: the Leica S/S2. Going from the R to the S will be effortless for any R user, the R lineage screaming straight from the S system.

Unfortunately, it does not accept R lenses but it is really a superb, although somewhat limited, system. However, what little is there is the ultimate in quality, doing what it does well, extremely well. My only complaint will remain that it is still very slow and deliberate. Some will argue that in fact it's a strength, I would also agree in spite of my proverbial complaint.

This is worth a look. Leica R lenses on an S2. You loose infinity focus but the results can be extraordinary.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-s-typ-006-s2-forum/280110-lei-ko-r-s-adapter.html

You've probably seen this already but I thought it was worth linking anyway just in case some reading this hasn't.

Leica S2 with anything but S2 lenses. ;)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-s-typ-006-s2-forum/292235-playing-old-lenses-s2.html

• Like 1