Strange white spots on M9 sensor?

Clong34

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 years is an eternity in the digital age. I would say 5-6 years at the most.

It depends on how you determine viability.

Many 10 year old dSLRs are still taking perfectly good (and usable) images, so many (but not all) still operate as intended. Their problem is that should a component fail, the cost of repair is way above their value in working condition.

The Fuji S2Pro is a good example. Originally brought to market at £1800, working bodies now seem to go for £100~£150 but they have sensor issues;) and replacing a sensor makes no sense at all - from memory to do so is in the £500ish area. Canon 1D/DS/D2/DS2 are still perfectly viable for many uses but have dropped to the point where buying a used but working body may well be cheaper than any significant repair.

If you are talking about viability in terms of having a 'better' and more up to date camera, then I'm not sure how you now determine 'life' as most cameras are capable of more than their users actually require (and I'd say this is true of both amateurs AND professionals). I have 5D, 5D2, 1D3 and 1DS3 cameras as well as M8/9. All are 'out of date' but I can see no reason to upgrade them for what I require them to do. All are very, very capable cameras - still.

Compacts are another story as repair costs quickly make it pointless repairing them - new is as cheap and offers a better warranty.

The real innovation in equipment is IMO in very different sectors of the imaging market - phones and cheap but very versatile video systems.

I have replied to Andrea Frankl, enclosing crops of what I think are the corrosion spots (pp. 22, 32 of this thread), and asking them to have another look. I, too, thought CS would be super keen to transition me to the M240, even at an early sign of corrosion. Let's see what happens.

Your spots are identical to mine. I'll watch with interest.

• Like 1

As time and technology marches on a permanent fix may be a relatively easy thing to achieve nowadays, remember at one time it was thought impossible to produce a digital M period due to the knowledge and equipment that was then available. As to prices it's quite possible they will stay down but I would now think that is due to age and newer models available, just my opinions ok, cheers Rob

Does someone know if this can be considered corrosion? I'm just wondering.

Thanks guys.

The dark blotches are simply foreign matter attached to the sensor cover, possibly from shutter oil scattered during normal operations. Usually they can be cleaned off quite easily. Search for threads discussing this. Or your dealer should offer a cleaning service.

• Like 1

The dark blotches are simply foreign matter attached to the sensor cover, possibly from shutter oil scattered during normal operations. Usually they can be cleaned off quite easily. Search for threads discussing this. Or your dealer should offer a cleaning service.

Any idea of what that "white circle" in the middle could be?

The dark spots are fine.

Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many 10 year old dSLRs are still taking perfectly good (and usable) images, so many (but not all) still operate as intended. Their problem is that should a component fail, the cost of repair is way above their value in working condition.

My 1993 Kodak DCS200ir, 1998 Nikon E3, and 1999 Nikon D1 all still work. The D1x has failed. The D1 has developed a problem where it will drain the battery even of turned off, so you pull the battery when not using it. I use it for documenting camera projects.

That is exactly what I meant, I think you answered for me but in better words.

Many 10 years old DSLRs are still working, but we don't see the ones that are out of order, resting in a junkyard somewhere, or serving as paper weights. The ones still working are rather the exception in my opinion. The mechanical parts may last for ages but the electronics fail.

Moreover, my 1Ds original was in perfect condition when I sold it, but I couldn't stand the high iso noise, the small LCD, the slow writing times, the slow preview (wait I just described the M9 :D ) and that was in 2005. I can't imagine myself shooting with it in 2014 (though I know some people who still do).

Anyhow, you say 10, I say 5-6, not much difference anyway, just one extra generation :)

I have just heard back again from CS: my spots, which looked to be of the same genus and species as TRIago's and KeithL's, have supposedly all cleaned off. Once I have the camera back, I will check again and confirm.

So maybe they didn't see the spots, or the oil hasn't been there long enough to start corroding the coatings. I hope it's the latter :)

• Like 1

Many 10 years old DSLRs are still working, but we don't see the ones that are out of order, resting in a junkyard somewhere, or serving as paper weights. The ones still working are rather the exception in my opinion. The mechanical parts may last for ages but the electronics fail.

Anyhow, you say 10, I say 5-6, not much difference anyway, just one extra generation :)

How to destroy a kodak dcs srl pro sensor! Not yet.: Kodak SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

In 2012, this DPREVIEW member was given a quote of ~$400 to replace the 14MPixel CMOS sensor for a Kodak SLR/n from a third party repairshop. The Fillfactory CMOS sensor also used S8612 glass, and developed white spots. The SLR/n was discontinued in 2005. Personally, I would have paid to have the camera repaired.

A lot of Epson RD1's are still in use, and most owners have them repaired. Digital rangefinders are a niche product, appeal to a certain group of photographers that get more attached to a particular camera. I suspect that the M9, M Monochrom, and M8 will be in use for a long time with those that fail get scavenged for parts by the repair facilities.

Edited by Lenshacker
  • Like 1

So maybe they didn't see the spots, or the oil hasn't been there long enough to start corroding the coatings. I hope it's the latter :)

Well, regardless, I am keen to move on to the M(240) now, and leave the M9 (and this whole issue) well behind.

• Like 1

Well, regardless, I am keen to move on to the M(240) now, and leave the M9 (and this whole issue) well behind.

Makes sense. But it also makes me think that the M9 didn't have all these problems when it was first released and people were really happy with it for quite long time. I'm not saying the M240 will have problems sooner or later, but I wouldn't justify jumping from the M9 to the M240 because it might not have problems in the future. Specially now that Leica will take care of every M9 out there and the CCD is just awesome.

Of course, that's just me.

• Like 2

Owning the M9 now feels like living in California: on the one hand, life looks like it cannot get better - on the other, you know it could all end very badly (a deadly mix of short-lived sensors and unpredictable supply problems). I'm a straight-laced worrier, still feeling a little uneasy despite reassurances to the contrary.

I sent Leica NJ a "sky shot" from my M9 showing the many small black spots which I believe to be oil deposits. They advised me that they could make no determination from my image and that I should send it in for a free sensor clean. I have done that and await the result.

The best possible outcome would be for the sensor cleaning to remove the spots. If a sensor replacement is needed I would go for the trade in on an M-240 if they place a reasonable value on my M9. Not that I really want a M-240, but that would put an end to the issue. I would do a sensor replacement as a last choice, but if a "fixed" sensor was available it would be my first choice. I really do love my M9.

I was going through my dealer. But hopefully NJ should have been brought up to speed on this issue.

Well, I just saw my dealer this afternoon, with some haloed spots documented on a SD card.

The Netherlands importer does not seem to have a clue yet how to handle the incomig deluge.

Word from Solms CS is scarce.

I need my M9 in the next few weeks, so I took it back home. Will use my lenses at full opening :)

Well, I just saw my dealer this afternoon, with some haloed spots documented on a SD card.

The Netherlands importer does not seem to have a clue yet how to handle the incomig deluge.

Word from Solms CS is scarce.

I need my M9 in the next few weeks, so I took it back home. Will use my lenses at full opening :)

And please, post some of your excellent images! :)