Leica M to Nikon adapter

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks.

I was always under the impression that somehow the camera knew the aperture setting in order to meter in A mode (or even the moving dots in view finder). and set the shutter speed. My reasoning was that I always set the aperture or the speed at a given ISO for the light meters, so thought the camera meter worked the same way.

I guess with TTL metering and adjusting to 18% grey, the camera meter just works with the light falling on the sensor and indicates the exposure accordingly in manual (where one can adjust speed or aperture) or in A mode where the camera just modifies the shutter speed.

Once I actually start thinking about it, it is clear how it works. Never really gave it much thought before you guys' explanations.

The later M digital M cameras interpolate (or should it be extrapolate :p) the aperture reading by calculating the difference between the TTL reading and the reading from the external meter next to the VF windows.

Wilson

"I think you should get the Leica lenses to fit in the Leica..that will serve better"

I have had success using a Nikon 28mm PC lens on my M9 with a Chinese adapter, a 35mm Olympus PC lens, also an Olympus-mount 17mm Tokina on my M9, also 39mmm LTM lenses whether Leica or Voigtlander (from 12mm to 28mm) all these with Chinese adapters (although the Leica original 39mm to M adapters are better made).

I sold the Voigtlander 28mm when I bought a 28mm Elmarit, which was a great improvement in sharpness and clarity. You can't get everything you might want in Leica mount, or the price is prohibitive.

As an aside, the advantage of using SLR lenses on a Leica is that the lenses have a 43mm long flange to film-plane spacing to clear the moving mirror; I have not encountered any edge of field problems with such lenses or significant vignetting, which is quite unlike the results from a range of Voigtlander lenses. Not that such problems prove insurmountable but they add another stage in the processing from RAW to JPEG.

Philip

I received my Novoflex LEM/NIK today and was anxious to try my Nikon glass on the M. I compared a D7100 (DX format but 24mp) to the M. I used the 70-200mm ED IF VR version I lens. For the Nikon I zoomed back to a comparable focal length. Learned two things: First of all, the autofocus on the Nikon was off. Even with manual focus, what I saw in the viewfinder as sharp was not on the file. The plane of sharpness was further toward infinity.

Second, the M blows the 7100 out of the water. Attached a sample at 1:1 No PP. ISO 200, f/2.8, NEF and DNG. 7100 on the left, M on the right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Likaleica
  • Like 2