Leica M Typ 240: Unreliable or Reliable - Survey

Rick

Dunno yet (1)

Just ~1500 shots and only had 1 lockup issue (same day I bout the Oly EVF, last week... may this be EVF related ?).

N.B. unlike Lloyd, I have only used it in perfect climate.

For what it matters, my 5D2 only locked up once in ~50000 shots.

Would anyone please also specify shot count and whether they are using the EVF (including brand).

Yes, when I received my M and OLY VF-2 EVF (same day) I rushed to grab some shots, and test as much function as possible as light was really failing. I was testing the EVF, manual and EVF focus, focus peaking and JPEG wireless tether with USB card, switch from LV on back screen to EVF, AWB, OOC JPEG colors, and all buttons, all in about 15 min.

I got one possible hang with the auto review set on but may have just been slow response. The wireless card was a slow older Eye-Fi and was transmitting when auto review was reading the file and EVF on. No battery removal needed, just a power off and restart.

I do not usually have auto review set on any of my cameras and use play function if I wish to check a file for exposure histogram. That same night I went through the menu and changed various settings including the auto review to off.

Subsequently, I have had no lock ups on the M including extensive use of EVF. I can only estimate the number of shots but they would be low, as in less than 1000.

I may be lucky but as I said, I really don't have auto review set to on and never really review pics on the camera. I just check a histogram/image typically.

Edited by Karl G

Wireless cards ARE buggy. Could you replicate the situation using a normal card?

I think it was the EVF and auto review and file upload conflict. WIth auto review off I can wirelessly upload JPEG 2976px*1984px (6MP) / 1600px*1080px (1.7MP) with the same card and autoreview off and using EVF. This is using Eye-Fi which I will use about 2-3 times a year.

No issues with the SanDisk Pro Cards.

• Like 1

Maybe, you could have all of these people stop buy and vote? PM your buddy Lloyd Chambers? That would be at least one. :rolleyes:

Rick, I am curious that you wish to be so offensive? Maybe you should take your lens cap off and have a good look around. Your posts on this topic might gain reliability :eek:

At least when Jaap is preaching to the Leica choir, he applies some sort of logic. I see that it is time to move on... there is some dust on top of my M240 serial number that needs attention.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rick, I am curious that you wish to be so offensive? Maybe you should take your lens cap off and have a good look around. Your posts on this topic might gain reliability :eek:

At least when Jaap is preaching to the Leica choir, he applies some sort of logic. I see that it is time to move on... there is some dust on top of my M240 serial number that needs attention.

I'm sorry if you take it as offensive. I just asked if you could get these folks you mentioned that have unreliable cameras to come on and vote, knowing full well you can't back that up. What is so illogical about calling you on it? Listen, vote "No" if, you want to make a point. Otherwise, you have none.

Guest tanks

In the meantime, follow directions and just vote "No" if that is how you feel, or ask your own stupid question on your own thread.

That's OK. You are doing real fine with your own "stupid" question. I am not in competition with you in regards to "stupid" questions. You win, hands down ;)

• Like 2

Wow. Just one? I had at least 4 all within the first week or two... but, none since. I'll put you down as a "Yes." Ok?:rolleyes:

Again, Rick, I don't know if the camera is reliable - yet.

If I had 4 lock ups like you had, I would certainly vote "No".

And I doubt that you and the other 25 (:)) worldwide owners of the M have used the camera long/hard enough for this survey to make any sense. Let alone the fact that a "Y/N" question without other critical details such as shot count makes the survey a bit naive, to say the least.

I will certainly let you guys know once I have used it in more critical conditions as I have done for several years with my Canon gear. I must admit though that I am a bit concerned about using the M and lenses under pouring rain and snow... but hey, a $7000 camera cannot be afraid of some water, right ? ;)

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Like 1

Yes*(23)

*apart from several lock ups after using the EVF.

Now I always remove the battery before shooting anything important.

Just a side comment on the subjectivity of these answers.

The above, to me, is a resounding "NO - UNRELIABLE!" If I felt I had to remove the battery before important shoots with ANY camera it would be back in the shop for either fixing or full refund. And I don't even earn my income through photography.

This is not a criticism of imported_leicaiste, just an observation on each respondents frame of reference.

• Like 3

It isn't - it is weatherproofed.:rolleyes:

LOL

The M 240 is weatherproof by Leica standards.

The M bayonet and M lenses are neither weatherproof nor dustproof.

Resistance against water is categorized by IPxx and protection against spray from any direction is IPx4. The Leica M240 may be resistant against water dropping vertically on to the body. This is IPx1 and it is not enough protection against rainy and windy weather.

Hey, but you are here, still contributing, right here, on my stupid thread. What's with that? :eek:

I think you need to read more carefully, to understand what's contributed to your thread and what is not. :rolleyes:

A discussion about reliability might make sense ... might even be called for. A survey does not.

The whole "You have to own" to have an opinion is sort of oddly discriminatory and lopsided. Dismissing the fact that some fairly well respected photographers offered up DNG RAW files to download is also odd.

So, to form an opinion about a purchase, you have to actually buy the $7,000 camera first? Really?

Reliability is a subjectively loaded word, and depends on how you rely on a camera. Sending a camera off to have lugs repaired takes it out of the equation ... what if you sold your M9, so now you have nothing to shoot with?

I have a Sony A900 that's been through 4 full wedding seasons ... zero lock-ups, zero failures, zero missed shots due to equipment hiccups, need to reboot, or remove the battery and start up agin. Zero.

Subjectively, for my needs, I'd call that reliable ... anything less ... isn't.

- Marc

• Like 5