I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Artifact
M-A APO 50 E100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Inappropriate?

i have a tin of stale instant ground coffee, saved to use as developer, 6 big spoon fulls + 3 of washing soda, for about half an hour. It worked last time I tried it, about 3 or 4 stops loss of speed to the film.

lots on the internet about developing film in coffee.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

M6, 35 mm CronASPH1, ADOX Silvermax, 100 ASA, Caffenol

• Like 16

Seen at Arles.   [Extrafilm 200]

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Verso AP2
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 10

Verso AP3
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Thanks! Believe it or not '"fusca" is a corruption of "Volkswagen".  If you say say Volkswagen fast enough and enough times, it becomes fusca 🙂

Thank you for sharing this vignette – a clever way to ob-fusca-te Volkswagen!

• Haha 4

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Penumbra Flash
M-A APO 50 E100 & ADOX Color Implosion

Exciting, a view from outer space.  Or the fluorescence of an antigen-antibody reaction...?  I´ll give myself a brake and get out for a ride.. 

vor 15 Stunden schrieb chrism:

I don't seem to be able to stop making inappropriate combinations of film and developer, and worrying at them until they work. This is XP2 Super (what else!) at ISO 200 in Diafine, and developed with continuous agitation for 5+5 minutes in the motorised Rondinax.

85mm Selfie by chrism229, on Flickr

I'm afraid I cut off the top of my head, but there was only me at home and I needed to try it out. Anyway, I'm delighted with the minimal grain and thus the film was not wasted.

a fine portrait and a fine lab result. Cutting off hair is ok, it gives some energy to the composition. 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Suede:

The brick.   [Silvermax 100]

Ha ha, a botanical brick... for sale ? 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb adan:

The Dark Door, Mamiya 6 + 75mm Sekor-G, TMax 400 and D76 1:1

the door is telling a story ... and shows, what we don't see...   

so it´s art by your definition...   the technical perfection: just the base on which the content can unroll

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, chrism said:

I don't seem to be able to stop making inappropriate combinations of film and developer, and worrying at them until they work. This is XP2 Super (what else!) at ISO 200 in Diafine, and developed with continuous agitation for 5+5 minutes in the motorised Rondinax.:

85mm Selfie by chrism229, on Flickr

I'm afraid I cut off the top of my head, but there was only me at home and I needed to try it out. Anyway, I'm delighted with the minimal grain and thus the film was not wasted.

great photo. And as i get older, I find that I need the top of my head less often....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, paulmac said:

From a project of mine - "Living like this - life in the UK" - about all the different communities that make up the UK

All B&W and all Leica.

These two are on a Leica M6 with a 28mm Elmarit and a 35mm Summicron - both shot with the lens wide open.

Film was Kodak TRI-X in D76 1+1

Excellent photos, but rather brave to post them together, given the way things are in the UK.

14 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I think XP2 was developed with convenience in mind - there being a lot of c41 minilabs about at the time.

Pete

Correct. XP2, XP2 Super, a Fuji version unavailable in the West except for some re-labelled rolls, and Kodak BW400CN were all designed to allow people who wanted to use a B&W film to find a way to develop it in the local High Street once ordinary silver halide B&W film development had become a rarity. When I came back to photography in 1990 - pre-digital, but after the rise of cheap colour film - I was quoted $40CAN to develop a single B&W film. So I developed it myself, obviously. I still like chromogenic B&W film as a way to minimise grain. Here's my thing: when I first used a camera and learned to develop film, I was doing it on pocket money as a school boy. I couldn't afford a fast lens, so I needed a fast film, but fast film meant a wretched amount of grain. So my teenage neurons got pruned that way: reducing grain is a good to be sought. I can't help myself now, and I still try to minimise grain. I've heard that youngsters revel in grain as proof that they are using film rather than digital. Well, that might signify something (possibly) virtuous about them, but it isn't using film properly. A chromogenic film in B&W chemistry makes for a felicitous combination of reduced grain and reduced cost. I like that, and I see no reason not to stick with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb paulmac:

From my project - "Living Like This - life in the UK"

Day of Ashura, Bradford, Yorkshire, UK.

Pictures on a pair of Leica M6 cameras - one with TRI-X at ISO 400 and inside the mosque TRI-X rated at ISO 1600.

Lenses  were  50mm and 35mm Summicrons.

wow, very impressive Paul!!!

• Like 1

Between
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Exciting, a view from outer space.  Or the fluorescence of an antigen-antibody reaction...?  I´ll give myself a brake and get out for a ride.. 

Maybe you can hitch a ride with NASA.

I contrasted the lack of a distinct horizon with the thin hard red line and it created that 100,000 ft. altitude sensation. I was thinking of an eclipse, then called to mind Tacita Dean's quest to film a green flash, none too successfully. So those little phantom greenies play above the red line, very indistinct. That blur of the horizon, even with the lack of color, per se, reminds me of the sensation Rothko produced with his blurred edges of colors that seem to vibrate when his large paintings are viewed from about eight feet to minimize peripheral vision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1