I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cathédrale Saint Pierre

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Flickr
80 Planar Ektar X1
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Truly timeless, in fact I would have guessed it to be older than 1980. Really well seen Phil.

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

tuileries, paris 1980

F1, 50mm, plus-x

Oh there it is! Thank you thank you thank you. Btw Precisa is a great film.

4 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

I found a head for your statue :)

Ricoh GR1 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

This might just do it, bonne chance.

2 hours ago, christoph_d said:

A picture to lure Henry back into the fold.

FM2, Petzlomo 2/85, Portra 160

• Like 2

4 hours ago, christoph_d said:

So here is a picture of my self-made pinhole camera (I think I posted it once, some thousand entries before). Basically a wooden box. You are watching the front side. The pinhole is hidden behind a metal plate that sticks out at the top, serves as a shutter and can be lifted for exposure. The pinhole itself is made from a thin brass plate, perhaps 0,3mm thick. I first used a ball-bearing ball to indent the surface from one side, then sanded the backside flat, then used an etching needle to prick a small hole, which I again sanded from the back. Finally I used some soot from a burning candle to blacken it all, and glued it into place. The film-plane is curved, so the 120 film rolls are positioned under the right knob and the equivalent side on the other side on the front of the camera. The film curves , around, 120 degrees to the back of the box and back to the front. The right knob is used to advance the film, I made a small hole covered with a red transparent plastic on the back to see the film number during film advance. The Knob in the middle is to open the camera. The top plate can be lifted off, as can be the back. An occasional problem - occurring approximately with every film - is the fact that the friction along the 120 degree curve is getting too large after exposure 4 or 5, and the film is then escaping its guidance and folding inside making further advance impossible...

The pinhole has an approximate f number of 200. While there are different theories and formulas how to calculate the optimal pinhole diameter for your pinhole camera, it seems that for a given film format there is one optimal pinhole size and "focal length" (distance from pinhole to film), and that is rather wide-angle stuff. Below some data on this from a little gem of a book called "Die Lochkamera" written by Ulrich Clamor Schmidt-Ploch (It's in German and for the mathematically inclined). 

Film format                                         24x36            6x6            4x5 inch

optimal distance pinhole to film     2,7 mm          10,5 mm   38,5mm

optimal pinhole size @ infinity        0,06 mm        0,12 mm   0,23 mm

Now it is obvious that for my 6x12 format camera with a curved back that cover's 120 degree viewing angle the optimal distance from pinhole to film is impossible to achieve, but then, Pinhole photography is all about fun anyway, and deviation from the perfect does not really matter for the creative mind. For inspiration on this topic please also check out Eric Renner's book "Pinhole Photography" - it is brilliant. The author unfortunately died recently. And if you really want to descent into the abyss of alternative and obscure photography you will find many other ways of lensless photography - photograms and lumen prints for example - all of those, by the way, may also qualify for being published at the next worldwide pinhole photography day.

MP, 50, Polypan-F

This camera is wonderfully crafted! If you ever posted a picture of this beauty, I can’t remember it. Thank you very much for the further information. As it seems I wasn‘t to much away from the dimensions of the right pinhole size for my medium format camera. I will spent some more time and effort on this topic to get prepared better for Pinhole Day 2021. The literature hints you provided should help me with this project.

• Like 2

Crappy and expired Svema FN64 makes the rooftop walls look even dirtier than what they really are ... theyre due for a refresh. I just wanted to test this Canon FTb I got for free some time ago. Mechanically solid!

Canon FTb, Canon FD 28/2.8, Svema FN64@25

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, AntonioF said:

Crappy and expired Svema FN64 makes the rooftop walls look even dirtier than what they really are ... theyre due for a refresh. I just wanted to test this Canon FTb I got for free some time ago. Mechanically solid!

Canon FTb, Canon FD 28/2.8, Svema FN64@25

Great shots. Thanks for sharing. What walls? :)

Best,

Wayne

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, philipus said:

And the cathedral from the inside. I really like places where they don't frown on tripods.

Flickr
40 Distagon Ektar X1

Better than any sophisticated digital HDR !!!

• Haha 3

Newton Pink Yellow
MA APO 50 E100

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Newton Pink Yellow No. 2
MA APO 50 E100 & ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 11

Shadow walking.

Leica M5 - 50summicron - Ilford HP5/1660

Edited by leicamour
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

Hasselblad runner.

Leica M5 - 35Summicron - Ilford HP5/800 - Pol&red filter

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Needless to say, this is all high density housing now:

the last rider, 1975

canon, fujichrome

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Stone town, Zanzibar. Fish Market. M6

• Like 19

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Newton Pink Yellow
MA APO 50 E100

thank you Rog for the entertainment again--including the "steady the gaze" bar in the middle... Had to look up what Newton had to do with the pink... cultural gaps everywhere... 🤔

vor 7 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

trentham falls 2012

hasselblad, 60mm, fp4+

rich tonality, classic MF-composition, what more could I wish for ?   to be there myself and to breathe the air and hear the water perhaps... 

• Like 1