I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Ships & more

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ricoh GR1 - Kodak Portra 160

• Like 19

Am 3.5.2020 um 05:10 schrieb Ernest:

Flap
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & ADOX Color Implosion

yes, a well worn flap, having spent many hours in the sun and wind and flapping happily.. I can still hear it, with the green foliage of the trees to the right and the deep blue sea to the left.. 

Am 3.5.2020 um 11:28 schrieb stray cat:

I'm enjoying the page of optical illusions that Klaus linked to a few posts ago. Here's one for Klaus or whoever else would like to offer an opinion: what is going on here? This is the straight scan of a transparency:

sandringham, 2014

canon F1N, 300mm, ektachrome

Great you enjoy the link--years ago I found this and I spent  a lot of  time browsing through the many amazing examples.  Even or better because I'm  an ophthalmogist it reminds me of how little do I-may be we-  know.... I´ll go back to see  what's been added.   Was happy  I found the link though... 

Concerning your riddle:  My guess about the black bar is its just a simple post, part of a frame or something like that. The `corona´thing to the right and left of  the bar in the upper part might  be  due to the spill-over of photons in the emulsion. If my logic doesn't  fool me , the inversion of the brightness values could be explained by the fact that its a slide-film.

My first idea was you cut the film not along the frames, but took the right and the left part of two frames, separated by the division bar (?)--but the continuous background patterns don't support any idea of mirroring, reflection or similars. 

Humbly awaiting the verdict: K. 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb S/W:

View from Statue of Liberty

(NYC Easter 2019)

Leica M7 * Elmarit M 2.8/28 Asph (II) * Kodak Portra 400 @ 200 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

well seen angle of  the often photographed  lady.. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

looking for a shelter in  a sudden rain shower, I came across a vintners hut. After the demolition of the old terraces they saved the stones that were integrated by the builders of the terraces--indicating owner and year. These were among the oldest. 

MP; 2,4/50; Delta 100

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 16

On 5/3/2020 at 7:28 PM, stray cat said:

I'm enjoying the page of optical illusions that Klaus linked to a few posts ago. Here's one for Klaus or whoever else would like to offer an opinion: what is going on here? This is the straight scan of a transparency:

sandringham, 2014

canon F1N, 300mm, ektachrome

9 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

yes, a well worn flap, having spent many hours in the sun and wind and flapping happily.. I can still hear it, with the green foliage of the trees to the right and the deep blue sea to the left.. 

Great you enjoy the link--years ago I found this and I spent  a lot of  time browsing through the many amazing examples.  Even or better because I'm  an ophthalmogist it reminds me of how little do I-may be we-  know.... I´ll go back to see  what's been added.   Was happy  I found the link though... 

Concerning your riddle:  My guess about the black bar is its just a simple post, part of a frame or something like that. The `corona´thing to the right and left of  the bar in the upper part might  be  due to the spill-over of photons in the emulsion. If my logic doesn't  fool me , the inversion of the brightness values could be explained by the fact that its a slide-film.

My first idea was you cut the film not along the frames, but took the right and the left part of two frames, separated by the division bar (?)--but the continuous background patterns don't support any idea of mirroring, reflection or similars. 

Humbly awaiting the verdict: K. 

well seen angle of  the often photographed  lady.. 

Thank you so much for responding to my little "riddle", Klaus - and thank you also Steve and Rog.

I think you have it nailed, Klaus. I was very surprised and confused when I first saw this transparency. The dark line in the middle is a telephone pole. I lined it up so that it was obscuring the setting sun and shot with the 300mm lens focused at infinity. When you say the corona surrounding the top part of the pole is caused by the spill-over of photons in the emulsion, I think this is right - the pole, which was reasonably close to me, was well out-of-focus and therefore showed as blurry in the picture area. Then (this is my guess) because the reflection of the late-summer setting sun off the water in the lower part of the picture was so incredibly bright, it kind of burned away the fuzziness from that part of the picture - it's there, but the film was not able to show it because the inordinate brightness kind of nuked all that o-o-f fuzziness so we are only left with the straight line of the pole. It's yellow because, well, it was a yellow sunset.

Fun and games, eh? Aaaah, lockdown!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Berlin Flughafen Tegel TXL Leica M7 28 mm Asph

• Like 14

6 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thank you so much for responding to my little "riddle", Klaus - and thank you also Steve and Rog.

I think you have it nailed, Klaus. I was very surprised and confused when I first saw this transparency. The dark line in the middle is a telephone pole. I lined it up so that it was obscuring the setting sun and shot with the 300mm lens focused at infinity. When you say the corona surrounding the top part of the pole is caused by the spill-over of photons in the emulsion, I think this is right - the pole, which was reasonably close to me, was well out-of-focus and therefore showed as blurry in the picture area. Then (this is my guess) because the reflection of the late-summer setting sun off the water in the lower part of the picture was so incredibly bright, it kind of burned away the fuzziness from that part of the picture - it's there, but the film was not able to show it because the inordinate brightness kind of nuked all that o-o-f fuzziness so we are only left with the straight line of the pole. It's yellow because, well, it was a yellow sunset.

Fun and games, eh? Aaaah, lockdown!

Interesting, I agree with your analysis. Rgds, C.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeti – a real working mountain dog in Silvermax 100

• Like 15

Church in Switzerland.

Leica M6 - 21Elmarit - Velvia

• Like 15

I'm told one shouldn't have out of focus things in front of a subject, but rules are there to be broken.

• Like 14

22 hours ago, stray cat said:

Christo may well have it wrapped up, but I think your protest sign (it looks like the one that ended up in the back of Thomas' Rolls) gives a more accurate idea of where you and Steve are headed with your theories about my weird little yellow picture: No! No! No! It is actually quite a bit less complicated than meets the eye and I'm not even sure I quite get it, either, although I'd like to hear Klaus' and others' takes on it before I say too much more.  I do like this more intense colorization you are achieving, Rog, and especially your innovative ways of challenging that stricture of the rectangle.

When Thomas in Blow-Up, looking disheveled and unshaven, comes out of the Camberwell Reception Centre, a hotel for the homeless, we wouldn't guess he had his Silver Cloud Rolls parked up the street. He's carrying a paper bag, but we find out only later that inside there's a Nikon F. So it begins; nothing is what it appears to be. It is an unravelling of suspenseful aha moments. In a way, we bought into your scheme of  photographic mystery. You provided tantalizing clues, well, the photograph, anyway. Thomas blows up the photographs he shot in Maryon Park of the couple cavorting, somewhat, on the grass a distance from him. Nothing is what it appears to be. As he blows up the photographs, he's blowing apart his understanding of exactly what he has witnessed, unknowingly. One of my favorite scenes is when Thomas buys an antique wooden propeller, then with the shop girl, he tries unsuccessfully to fit it into his convertible Rolls. I always liked the invention of the wooden propeller, so I just had to have one. Gary will love this. I bought a five-foot propeller on eBay to put on the wall in my office. Flight of fancy or any other cliché I could muster, I just loved Antonioni's invention and reliance on the aha. It was always a reminder that I couldn't afford to be boring. It's an ongoing challenge. One thing is certain, Phil; based on your photograph puzzle, it's no wonder I failed the Intelligence test and didn't put anything involving national security at risk. Ha, ha. Thanks for dance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, chrism said:

I'm told one shouldn't have out of focus things in front of a subject, but rules are there to be broken.

It's CINEMATIC, and works in this diptych!

Cut and print,
Rog

• Like 4

Kodak Retina II, Rodenstock Retina-Heligon 50/2.8, Kodak Pro Image 100

• Like 17

Links No. 3
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 11

On 5/4/2020 at 3:39 AM, JMF said:

un soir by JM__, on Flickr

Velvia 50 -  M2-R  - 35 Summicron 8 elements

I keep returning to this photograph. I love it, the way my eye is drawn to the face and the drifts through the photo, following the line of surf before returning comfortably to the face again.

12 hours ago, Ernest said:

When Thomas in Blow-Up, looking disheveled and unshaven, comes out of the Camberwell Reception Centre, a hotel for the homeless, we wouldn't guess he had his Silver Cloud Rolls parked up the street. He's carrying a paper bag, but we find out only later that inside there's a Nikon F. So it begins; nothing is what it appears to be. It is an unravelling of suspenseful aha moments. In a way, we bought into your scheme of  photographic mystery. You provided tantalizing clues, well, the photograph, anyway. Thomas blows up the photographs he shot in Maryon Park of the couple cavorting, somewhat, on the grass a distance from him. Nothing is what it appears to be. As he blows up the photographs, he's blowing apart his understanding of exactly what he has witnessed, unknowingly. One of my favorite scenes is when Thomas buys an antique wooden propeller, then with the shop girl, he tries unsuccessfully to fit it into his convertible Rolls. I always liked the invention of the wooden propeller, so I just had to have one. Gary will love this. I bought a five-foot propeller on eBay to put on the wall in my office. Flight of fancy or any other cliché I could muster, I just loved Antonioni's invention and reliance on the aha. It was always a reminder that I couldn't afford to be boring. It's an ongoing challenge. One thing is certain, Phil; based on your photograph puzzle, it's no wonder I failed the Intelligence test and didn't put anything involving national security at risk. Ha, ha. Thanks for dance.

Rog I composed a long reply to this and then scrapped it because all I really wanted to say was ‘thank you’, sincerely. Putting things into these broader contexts always helps to see the picture bigger and brighter.

Not always brighter in the intelligent sense, however. Today was a wonderful day with the most exquisite light and I took a bunch of photos of light on the water down at the beach. Nearing the end of the roll on the M2 I was thinking ahead to developing the film when I suddenly realised - what film? The camera was empty. How many years is it since I did that? Anyway it wasn’t too late to go home, find a roll of XP2 and return. And I cannot believe I just admitted to that on the I Like Film forum! 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 5