I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, MT0227 said:
  • Voigtlander Bessa III 667W
  • HP5+ pushed 1 stop in HC-110(B)@ 20c
  • Nikon LS-9000

I have to say, this was my first roll of HP5+ that I've ever shot (I'm a TriX guy).  I've read posts and articles about some who have made the switch (Trix -> HP5+) and have stayed with it; I just can't see how.  After pushing 1 stop, there's just too much grain (negative looked  little under exposed) and not enough contrast in the middle tones for me...so back to TriX I go.

Looking East - NYC

2019-07-30-0010 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

The negative looked underexposed because you underexposed it. The box says 400ASA and you did 800ASA. A thin and grainy negative is no shock. And it is possible that the box speed of 400ASA is a bit aspirational already.

I am not trying to sell HP5, but it seems to me that it did not get a fair trial to perform at its best.  

This is technically terrific I think with lots and lots of tonality for the eyes to feast on.

About the one below, the development could also have something to do with the grainy appearance. It's still a nice, and funny, picture. I only discovered the man on the second or even third look.

Thinking about it further, it should be possible to address the grain in post because it is pretty much only in the darker zones, so crushing the blacks a little bit would do the trick methinks. Actually, thinking even more, what could really deal with it even more is the Noise Reduction tool combined with the Sharpening tool. I use Adobe Camera Raw for most of my editing, but it probably works the same in most editors. Just pull the "luminance" noise reduction up (try 1/3 on the scale) and then sharpen as needed. It should make the grain virtually disappear. Plus it will accentuate the specular highlights on the various metal parts and make the image pop even more. Just a few ideas :)

3 hours ago, MT0227 said:
  • Nikon LS-9000

Empire State - 34th Street NYC

2019-07-30-0003 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

8 hours ago, MT0227 said:
  • Nikon LS-9000

I have to say, this was my first roll of HP5+ that I've ever shot (I'm a TriX guy).  I've read posts and articles about some who have made the switch (Trix -> HP5+) and have stayed with it; I just can't see how.  After pushing 1 stop, there's just too much grain (negative looked  little under exposed) and not enough contrast in the middle tones for me...so back to TriX I go.

Looking East - NYC

2019-07-30-0010 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

What a fortuitous set of events that led these two to be posted right next to each other. Each is moody and contrasty in its own way, with that lovely natural grain just speaking volumes of the character of film. Bravo John and Jean-Marc :)

2 hours ago, jcraf said:

MP, 24 Elmarit-M Asph, Neopan 1600.

2 hours ago, JMF said:

Au Père Lachaise - Gilbert Bécaud by JM__, on Flickr

SWC/M - Fujicolor PN 160 NS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hiles said:

The negative looked underexposed because you underexposed it. The box says 400ASA and you did 800ASA. A thin and grainy negative is no shock. And it is possible that the box speed of 400ASA is a bit aspirational already.

I am not trying to sell HP5, but it seems to me that it did not get a fair trial to perform at its best.  

Thanks Mike...Just to be clear, I pushed it one stop in developing too.. I didn't just meter at 800iso.  I do this with TriX all the time and get results much more to my liking...so I will be sticking to what works.  I have another roll or two to burn...I'll experiment at bit more, I just don't think HP5+ gives me the shadow contrast I'm looking to achieve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philipus said:

This is technically terrific I think with lots and lots of tonality for the eyes to feast on.

About the one below, the development could also have something to do with the grainy appearance. It's still a nice, and funny, picture. I only discovered the man on the second or even third look.

Thinking about it further, it should be possible to address the grain in post because it is pretty much only in the darker zones, so crushing the blacks a little bit would do the trick methinks. Actually, thinking even more, what could really deal with it even more is the Noise Reduction tool combined with the Sharpening tool. I use Adobe Camera Raw for most of my editing, but it probably works the same in most editors. Just pull the "luminance" noise reduction up (try 1/3 on the scale) and then sharpen as needed. It should make the grain virtually disappear. Plus it will accentuate the specular highlights on the various metal parts and make the image pop even more. Just a few ideas :)

Thanks Philip, as always I truly appreciate the time and the feedback.   I think what may have happened in the second shot was the camera meter captured a bit too much of the late evening sky and the main subject just did not have enough light to get a decent exposure.  I really don't play around too much in post with the exception of some basic tone adjustments to the flat scan and the spot healing tool of course.  Every now and then, I'll go deeper in the tool box if I think the frame is worth the time and effort. I will give your suggestions a try and post back.  Thanks again my friend ;)

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Hi Marc, I can understand your concerns about HP5 in regards of the cable guy picture, but I think you have mastered this emulsion in the Empire shot perfectly. Nice tonality, little grain and I really like your composition with this UPS truck.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words James.   I think the shot with the guy in the street light was just a difficult shot to get given the lighting.  It was late evening sky, setting behind the subject and I may have caught too much of it when I metered.   It looked cool at the time so I just gave it a quick snap.   I'll  see what I can make of it in post when I have some time, something to fall back on when new material dries up :)

the dark theme 

JCH film 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Seating at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion. Photo taken with a Leica R camera, using Rollei 80S, B&W 35 mm film,  90 mm Leica R lens.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Venice ektachrome .. Leica MA, not sure about the lens, probably a 50MM DR summicron ..

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

more venice ...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

and a last one for now ... this one was 15mm voigtlander or the 24mm leica f3.8 ..

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

and another ... 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

and ektachrome again, couple of pics along the "beach" in vis, croatia ... there is a pebble beach with lots of services but people like what looks like old docks ... water was great as were the people ..

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

and a second one ...

• Like 10

and a couple from dubrovnik ... these are portra 400 with a polarizing filter, leica MA, compensated two stops --

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

here is another and that's it for tonight ... don't want to be to overload 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1