I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for your interest! Although I don't have finished the import of all the files into Lightroom by now, I can say that the pictures so far all have a distinctly warmer white balance. As I don't have my negatives back, I can't say anything about the orange mask, I also didn't have the opportunity to order direct prints from them. As soon as I hold the negatives in my hand I will try to give you more information!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

au Cap Sicié by JM__, on Flickr

Provia 100 - Xpan II - 30mm

4 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

As you have probably noticed, I like to experiment with different cameras, emulsions and photographic themes. When I stumbled upon a thread in the german part of this forum about a service provided by silbersalz35.com I had to try this myself - and be it only to see if the grumpy old white men in the german part of LUF are right in complaining about another player in the market who tries to sell old films in new canisters. So I made my order and got 2 rolls of Silbersalz35 in 50D and 2 rolls in 250D. The offered emulsion is nothing better or worse than KodakVision cinefilm and Silbersalz is offering the development in ECN2 developer and provides the full scanning service in RAW, TIFF and JPG format. Altogether I paid almost 60 € for the films including development, scanning in the three formats and return of the negatives. If you don't need your negatives back, you save 15 €. SIlbersalz offers only packs of 4 films including the before mentioned service.

Yesterday I got the link to the dropbox files to my pictures. The whole development & scanning service took them about 3 weeks, but I now got digital data of more than 40 GB. The jpg files come in 5900x3850 and have around 20 MB, the tiff and raw files weigh around 140-160 MB each. 

All in all I quite like the overall appearance of my pictures, they have a certain look and feel, definitely showing a true analog origin. As with other cinefilm emulsions, the results are not perfect, though and I let them check for some annoying streaks in my pictures that definitely are no result of my cameras. 

Sorry for the long read, here comes a first impression:

Ricoh GR 1 - Silbersalz35 250D

James, thank you for sharing this information. Not only do the pictures have a very attractive and, as you say, truly and exclusively analog quality, your photographs with it are superb - especially this one which would look amazing enlarged to a high degree so that that beautiful grain is front and center.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

A very complex storyboard you are suggesting--but absolutely adequate. I'm impressed.  I´wonder-again 😊-what script Kafka himself would have made, the avid movie goer he was ( "Im Kino gewesen. Geweint"--was at the movies. wept. )  I´ll try to smuggle Die Verwandlung into my holiday suitcase, just to refresh the memory. Did you read :  Kafka goes to the movies by Hanns Zischler ? it seems to be a classic in it´s genre--have to order a german copy, there seems to be a new edition-it comes with a DVD containing the films K. saw... 

Yes, I have Zischler's well-researched and enlightening study. Remarkable that it's an area so ignored, but only someone with an acting background would give it due attention. The section on Panorama is particularly interesting, too. Naxos has a notable recording of The Metamorphosis to add to the mix.

Cheers,
Rog

Grandson. Discovering wonder of flowers for first time.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Goerz Minicord (16mm TLR) ORWO UN54

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 11

Nikon F2, Nikkor 200mm 1:4 Type K, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Au Père Lachaise by JM__, on Flickr

Fujicolor PN 160 NS - SWC/M

This is such a wonderful photograph. Focus naturally goes to the child because, well, it always does but look at his father. That look says it all.

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

Grandson. Discovering wonder of flowers for first time.

Goerz Minicord (16mm TLR) ORWO UN54

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chrism said:

Another view of the Bren Carrier, a 1930's military vehicle that was based upon a Ford flathead (ie sidevalve) V8, and with an interesting steering mechanism that moved the front bogies for small wheel adjustments, and braked the appropriate track for larger turns of this rather bent steering wheel. It may have been just as well that almost all of them were lost at Dunkirk.

Bren Carrier by chrism229, on Flickr

Just a lick of paint and some weeding and it'll be as good as new.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Barbican, London.  I love the concrete brutality of this place.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nikon F6, Noct-Nikkor 58mm, XP2s

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

i find the modern aseptic cubes made of glass, steel and their facades made of rusty sheetmetal way more brutal.
The new quarters looks like a live rendering that jumped out of archicad into the wild to depress the people…

• Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Skeptical about the "new" emulsion!?!

M4-P - Cron 35 - Silbersalz35 50D

that looks beautiful! Thats a scene that profits from that warm/yellowish tint…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Skeptical about the "new" emulsion!?!

M4-P - Cron 35 - Silbersalz35 50D

Thanks for the extensive description and examples of your experience with this film and developer. As known from Cinestill 50 and 800 and also by my experiences with Vision3 250D, these films have very fine grain and - to my eyes - excellent colour reproduction. The problem with the 250D (and to a lesser extend with the other emulsions) is that, developed in C41 a colour shift is noticable. So being able to get them developed and the Remjet removed is an attractive option. And 15Euro per Roll (assuming 36 exposures) incl. development and scanning is in line with other high quality films as well. I particularly like this last picture of yours - I only wish for the feet of the foreground protagonists to be within the frame.