I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You're putting that 50 LTM to excellent use, Robert. And thank you for explaining about the developer for Lady Grey. I hope we'll catch each other at the next NL meet.

Lion guarding Nelson's Column, Trafalgar Square, London, forum member Farnz at base of statue; M3 50 'Lux pre-Asph LTM, Fuji 1600 film

attachicon.gifTrafalgar-Square-Lions.jpg

Great Eoin, and yes I agree. Though scanned it clearly shows the character of the film.

By way of example (even though it is digitised in the scanning process), looking at the following crop, to me, it still readily translates into a facial expression, and a set of fingers owned by a pillion, regardless of resolution. It interests me the way the brain interprets that which is placed on its plate.

HCMC, Vietnam...

(SWC w/ T-Max 100)

25535762967_07d39e849b_b.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

40362871282_888afca030_b.jpgA002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Very funny shot, it's as if most people today have left the looking and seeing to their phones. I'm also happy you're posting larger photos.

• Like 3

The fields must get really wet here if you need a row boat ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Canon EOS 1n, Kodak BW400CN

• Like 15

By way of example (even though it is digitised in the scanning process), looking at the following crop, to me, it still readily translates into a facial expression, and a set of fingers owned by a pillion, regardless of resolution. It interests me the way the brain interprets that which is placed on its plate.

HCMC, Vietnam...

(SWC w/ T-Max 100)

25535762967_07d39e849b_b.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

40362871282_888afca030_b.jpgA002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Eoin exactly even you digitalize with the scanner versus scan with digital camera

you don't have sensor Bayer filter  (scan is CCD with no filter)

and the MFdefiniion or resolution is still nice with analog result in crop and not digital

...and also no conversion color to B&W with loss of definition and details (or color)

in the shadows

Nice street picture Eoin

aspect

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

You know the saying, "You are what your shadow reveals..."  :lol:

NYC

Portra 400

IIIg, 28 summaron

Adam I particularly like this style of high-contrast picture taken into the light with deep, long shadows and you've done it beautifully.  Sadly there are too few opportunities for similar shots in London.

Pete.

• Like 4

I've been coming back to this one a few times today. It's a terrific wildlife photo, even though it is from a zoo. The "look" on animals' faces is often intriguing.

Bald Eagle

Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, WA

September 1998

M6, 90mm Tele-Elmarit, FP4+

38600831090_dd4f3f974a_b.jpg

Bald Eagle by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

• Like 3

Newbie film developer here.  Did my first batch a few months ago and recently developed my second batch and I thought I'd post a few scans.  M3, 50mm DR, HP5+ @ 400, DD-X, Epson V600.  Don't look too close because I tried to hang two rolls of film in the shower to dry and accidentally dropped them.  The worst part is I tried to wipe off the crud with dry fingers.  Also, just got the V600 and still fumbling with settings.  

This is a shot I took at a Tesla store.  It sounds odd to call a car dealer a store but that is what this was -- retail store-front sitting between a jewelry store and luggage shop.  One car on display and a demo parked out front.  The two salesmen were very kind and one of them immediately recognized my camera model.  

• Like 15

Lawn of the Nelson Art Gallery in Kansas City.  The shuttlecocks are 15 feet tall.  

• Like 16

Thanks, Eoin :)

Stunning, Adam! Love it...

Thanks, Pete.  We have an abundance of long shadows in the winter, but ya'll have an abundance of fluffy clouds (pretty much all the time ) :)

Adam I particularly like this style of high-contrast picture taken into the light with deep, long shadows and you've done it beautifully.  Sadly there are too few opportunities for similar shots in London.

Pete.

Very nice, Philip.  Great execution on the first one and the second is an awesome POV and great earth tones

Now for some nature pix, shot at a lunch break in the lovely Sorghvliet park in The Hague (Provia 100).

Flickr

80 Planar+32E

Flickr

40 CFE

Congrats, Ray.  Great results and keep up the great work.  Looking forward to seeing more

Newbie film developer here.  Did my first batch a few months ago and recently developed my second batch and I thought I'd post a few scans.  M3, 50mm DR, HP5+ @ 400, DD-X, Epson V600.  Don't look too close because I tried to hang two rolls of film in the shower to dry and accidentally dropped them.  The worst part is I tried to wipe off the crud with dry fingers.  Also, just got the V600 and still fumbling with settings.  

This is a shot I took at a Tesla store.  It sounds odd to call a car dealer a store but that is what this was -- retail store-front sitting between a jewelry store and luggage shop.  One car on display and a demo parked out front.  The two salesmen were very kind and one of them immediately recognized my camera model.  

Nice classic, Wayne.  You might want to consider whether a slight tilt to the right might be warranted.  

Captain back in the truck.......Sure sign of Spring.

oming: Captain back in truck. by W P_, on Flickr

IID, Canon 35mm 2.8, Delta 400

• Like 3

Winter Fashion - New York City  :p

Portra 400

Leica M-A, 28 elmarit pre asph

Edited by A miller
  • Like 18

I had somewhat of an epiphany last night as I was flipping through some random photos of "my people".  I stumbled over this (below) photo and then moved on to some others, including the one I just posted above.  I then came back to the below photo, because I am drawn to the rendition and the look of the lady (and the fact that the sun was behind her but her face is illuminated from the sun beaming off of the glass buildings in front of her).  Then I paused more over her outfit, and in particular her sunglasses.  Then I said, hey, I've seen this style of sunglasses before, and I flipped back to the photo I just posted above.  Then I said, hey, they are the same sunglasses!  THEN, I looked more closely at the woman's coat and I observed that it looked very similar to the coat worn by the woman above.  THEN, I finally caught on to the fact that the woman looks just like the woman in the above photo!  I'm not 100% certain, but I think that might be the case.   The photos were taken months apart and I think it's rather funny :)

M3, 50 DR cron, Tri-X @800 pushed 1/5 stops

• Like 17