I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Guys, these condescending comments leave an exceedingly bad taste, and should not have a place here. Even with a minimum of self-awareness you should see how they reflect on you. While there is no reason not to post the image, I would think that, as with any street photograph (i.e., an image of strangers in public), the main subject deserves to be treated with respect rather than condescension.

As for the stereotype of this being normal, or to be expected, for Thailand: that is an issue of cultural relativity, and I am not sure that the proportion of transgender people is greater in Thailand than in many other countries — more likely it is only more visible because of Thai culture. But the reality is that transgender people face many severe social issues and prejudices in Thailand as well, further complicated by the class society strictures here, although they are of a  more subtle nature than outright condemnation, as is some other countries.  

I agree, Mitch. In my experience (mainly in the North and Isaan), however, traditional Thai culture is much more accepting of transgender than many other Countries are, including those who hold themselves up as being advanced and enlightened.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...But technically it's the softness - the sharpness and the gradual softness to be more precise - that I am amazed by, especially at higher resolutions. As we progress more and more towards sharpness and clarity, I find the older films and lenses - the way they look - provides a kind of happy point of departure, and a reminder (to me) that some things were right in so many ways, even as technologically was hard at it finding ways to leave them behind.

This strikes a chord with me, Phil. I've been giving a lot of thought to this recently, and how it is that our brains can readily make sense out of grain, but cannot jive with digital noise. How readily we can accept a halftone image as being representative of a reality - It's magic.

Digital certainly has its place, and does some things better than film will ever manage, but I'm finding more and more that my brain craves the construction process that comes with exploring blobs of chemical byproducts, not present in the little square pixel.

The softness is something that seems to amaze me more and more as the years go by. In turn, I find it makes me more observant of light, colours, shapes, and textures, such that the 'cerebral snapshot'* occurs frequently, when a camera is not at hand.

Little pleases me more than seeing my daughter dip her toes in this magic, and find that 'the water's fine'. This tells me that it really is magic, and not just me harking back to my origins.

Let the softness prevail...

• Like 3

I like both very much Brendan, and in the light of the current discussion on the 50 Asph (pun intended because they should always be :) ) it really shows how well that lens deals with high contrast subjects. But I like the second one the most because it is an excellent high contrast photo that manages to preserve shadow detail.

M4-P, Leica 50/1.4 ASPH, HP5 @ 1600:

26516467998_e8fb205820_c.jpg

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

M3, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, Tmax 100:

26516467618_e1b7afbcc9_c.jpg

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

Hi Robert, so nice to see you posting here too :) Great photo. I don't know that film at all but then result is terrific, wonderfully classic somehow. Which developer was used?

St.James' Park, London; M3 Canon 50 1,2 USM, Lomo Lady Grey film @ iso 400

attachicon.gifLondon-St-James-Park-Heron-3.jpg

Haha this is funny. It's as if the guy with the sign is holding it up to tell the gentleman in the brown jacket, who by the looks of it moves as slowly as molasses already, to slow down.

New York City

Portra 400

M-A, 28 elmarit pre-asph

attachicon.gifgoings on.jpg

Gosh briefs! There must be a lawyer around nearby  :ph34r:  :lol:

Not to steal any thunder from discussion on Thailand.............Indiana. Men's briefs in a tree. A perfect neutral gray target, no less.

39495390645_bb36f407d0_b.jpgBriefs. In perfect neutral gray, no less by W P_, on Flickr

IID, Zeiss Jena Sonnar 1.5 LTM, Tasma 64 expired.

Wow fantastic photos. Can I ask how you developed the film? I've only tried Pan F in Diafine but the grain goes slightly mushy.

Some local architecture

Leica M3, 50mm Summicron DR, Pan F 50

25521662317_19c4f57a6f_o.jpg

25521661297_7ec44e21fb_o.jpg

38583112550_8e63aa6c45_o.jpg

Brilliant photo Andrew, in particular using the car's beam in the composition and how you've lined up the house in the rearview mirror which adds a wonderful depth to the photo. 

Another wet print just before the final wash...

7mIdR5K.jpg

I'm afraid I must disagree with you Colin. That is a GREAT photograph, just how I like minimalist photographs to be, with a strong composition, interesting angle and a message.

It's not a particularly great shot - a woman photographing a chair, in the extensive chair section of the museum - but I think it gives a hint of the 'sharp but gentle' nature of the wonderful 50mm Summilux ASPH.

• Like 5

Two holiday snaps on Ektar from Archachon in south-western France. This tower, called the Observatoire Sainte-Cécile, was designed by Gustave Eiffel and Paul Regnault and completed in 1863.

It is, by far, the most rickety construction in which I have ever climbed up (and I am happy Eiffel didn't retain this 'feature' for the tower in Paris...). That meshed tube that holds the steps, which are barely wide enough for an adult, is sort of hanging loose; I think it's only held in place by vertical wires. Only 8 people can be on the platform so there's usually a bit of a queue. Once up, one has a very good view of the Ville d'Hiver of Archachon (the area where the tower is located), the Bay of Arcachon and the Bay of Biscay. 

39595127474_7421bbba8e_b.jpg

Flickr

40 CFE

39689608184_07cba5860e_b.jpg

Flickr

80 FE

• Like 14

@Philipus - ref your Pan F question. The film is developed at a local lab and I've no idea what soup they use. Whatever they use it produces extremely thin negs which is great for scanning.

FWIW this Pan F, although 'fridged, is 5 years out of date, and I shot it 6 months ago. Folks say that it's essential to shoot and dev quickly but it didn't seem to suffer.

Thanks for the comment.

Edited by Reeray
  • Like 3

The most powerful dimension here is the smell of drying fish.

Sittwe, Rakhine State, Myanmar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6 Ilford HP5

• Like 13

The most powerful dimension here is the smell of drying fish.

Sittwe, Rakhine State, Myanmar

attachicon.gifMarket hand.jpg

M6 Ilford HP5

The round hat combined with the angular posture sort of give him a machine-like look. Excellent photograph. There are worse smells than drying fish...........Possum, drying in the sun comes to mind.

Best regards,

• Like 1

"The round hat combined with the angular posture sort of give him a machine-like look. Excellent photograph. There are worse smells than drying fish...........Possum, drying in the sun comes to mind." I forgot to quote using Quote... 

Thanks for your kind comment, Wayne.

I'm not sure if there is an established and recognised measure for foul smells, but...  okay, possum... I really haven't been close enough to a dead one to know, even though I've seen many in NZ in the form of road-kill... I'll take your word for it. :D  

The filth and squalor of the (wet) markets in Myanmar beat 'Dickensian squalor' hands down. With temperatures in the high 30s (Centigrade scale) and high atmospheric humidity, dogs go mad, maggots flourish and tourists (especially the dainty variety) go light-headed with the pong. 

Sittwe again in Rakhine State, Myanmar.

Ilford HP5

• Like 10

...and another

• Like 14

ET on holiday

I second the ET characterization :)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Very happy accident, the one above James. 

And, is this one somehow a double-exposure? It seems there are two legs and a lady in the lower part. Or ghosts perhaps? Intriguing :)

Thanks! The picture was done in the bird house in the Berlin zoo and I wasn't attentive enough, so I didn't realize the people walking on the ground floor and through my picture :huh:

Here comes another snow pic from our last trip:

Minilux - Fuji Superia 100

• Like 13