I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lion guarding Nelson's Column, Trafalgar Square, London, forum member Farnz at base of statue; M3 50 'Lux pre-Asph LTM, Fuji 1600 film

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

...How readily we can accept a halftone image as being representative of a reality - It's magic...

By way of example (even though it is digitised in the scanning process), looking at the following crop, to me, it still readily translates into a facial expression, and a set of fingers owned by a pillion, regardless of resolution. It interests me the way the brain interprets that which is placed on its plate.

HCMC, Vietnam...

(SWC w/ T-Max 100)

25535762967_07d39e849b_b.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

40362871282_888afca030_b.jpgA002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 11

This strikes a chord with me, Phil. I've been giving a lot of thought to this recently, and how it is that our brains can readily make sense out of grain, but cannot jive with digital noise. How readily we can accept a halftone image as being representative of a reality - It's magic.

Digital certainly has its place, and does some things better than film will ever manage, but I'm finding more and more that my brain craves the construction process that comes with exploring blobs of chemical byproducts, not present in the little square pixel.

The softness is something that seems to amaze me more and more as the years go by. In turn, I find it makes me more observant of light, colours, shapes, and textures, such that the 'cerebral snapshot'* occurs frequently, when a camera is not at hand.

Little pleases me more than seeing my daughter dip her toes in this magic, and find that 'the water's fine'. This tells me that it really is magic, and not just me harking back to my origins.

Let the softness prevail...

That really does clarify and expand upon what I was attempting to say, Eoin - thank you. Having your daughter able to share the beauty of the process - and it really is an involved, somewhat mystical and magic process - can only be incredibly rewarding. Discoveries and experiences shared are exponentially more satisfying than done on your own.

Lion guarding Nelson's Column, Trafalgar Square, London, forum member Farnz at base of statue; M3 50 'Lux pre-Asph LTM, Fuji 1600 film

attachicon.gifTrafalgar-Square-Lions.jpg

This is wonderful, Robert - it has "presence". It is more than the subject - it is a mood, an ambience, a feeling and, as said above, a shared discovery. A very special shot.

• Like 3

Sunlit sheep ...

attachicon.gifCANON T60-1000119-2.jpg

Canon T60, Agfa Vista Plus 200

Like (the other) Robert's picture above, this has a special presence, Robert. The ground, the hills and the sky look alive and real. You can almost place yourself there - it's as if you could almost move into the frame with your next step. Great shot.

• Like 2

The most powerful dimension here is the smell of drying fish.

Sittwe, Rakhine State, Myanmar

attachicon.gifMarket hand.jpg

M6 Ilford HP5

Kind of glad our senses of smell don't operate on the level of photographs (except for that nice smell of fixer or whatever!). Yet I'm even more glad that you've taken it upon yourself to go there on our behalf and bring back these evocative images. Through them we get a fairly real sense of the marketplace and the activity, and your vivid description fills in a lot of the other blanks - the noise, the heat etc. A great series of pictures - thank you.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like both very much Brendan, and in the light of the current discussion on the 50 Asph (pun intended because they should always be :) ) it really shows how well that lens deals with high contrast subjects. But I like the second one the most because it is an excellent high contrast photo that manages to preserve shadow detail.

Hi Robert, so nice to see you posting here too :) Great photo. I don't know that film at all but then result is terrific, wonderfully classic somehow. Which developer was used?

Hi Phillipus

I actually sent this away for development but I understand that Lomo Lady Grey is a version of Kodak T-Max, so will develop in T-Max Developer (1:4 5 minutes @ 20C) and other similar standard B+W chemicals such as Microphen (stock, 7 minutes @ 20C); it has a sister (or brother) film called Lomo Earl Grey which is similar to Fomapan and is iso 100 which apparently does well in Rodinal

There is a link here to the developing times:

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/94343-lady-grey-and-earl-grey-development-times

Hope to see you again in the Netherlands in the future !!

• Like 3

NYC

Portra 400

IIIg, 50 elmar

• Like 17

"Incoming"!

Portra 400

M-A, 28

• Like 15

attachicon.gifTrafalgar-Square-Lions.jpg

Robert,

Great use of this film, capturing the London-winter-night mood just as I remember it.

Natura 1600 I presume? I guess its the next "color implosion" - just when we got used to what you can do with it, it will disappear ...

Rgds

Christoph

IIIA, Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM, Cinestill 50

• Like 15