new 'official' M240 pics up!

iedei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've never known EXIF information to lie about the camera model, so I am inclined to believe that the EXIF info is reliable. Thankfully, EXIF info does not come from the Lance Armstrong school of design. :)

Of the 12 photos in the first group of photos, 9 were made with the M9 and 3 were made with the new M. All 8 of the photos in the second group of photos (the girls in white dresses) were made with the new M, according to the EXIF.

When people talk about the characteristics of the photos, they should identify whether they are talking about the M9 photos or the new M photos. It would be a bit odd to claim that the M9 photos are very CMOS-like (although anything is possible).

• Like 4

One conclusion that can be drawn from the comments is that negative criticism is safe, easy and cheap. Positive criticism is hard. This insightful essay by Mike Johnston explains why:

Cheap Criticism

Well, to be honest, I can't see how just giving a link escapes being easy, safe and cheap criticism.

Especially considering somebody on these forums told us that the blogowners claim that all these pictures are from the new M, maybe you should respond to the criticisms of colour and over exposure with your own view of the imagequality of these files. Maybe we should just talk about the image quality without regard whether or not these files are M9 or M10.

That said I am not impressed by these pictures. They do seem a bit off color wise, though they don't look too much like nikon or canon files either, which I appreciate. I'm still looking forward to seeing much much more of the M10.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a little confused :o

For me the compositions, development are simply very ordinary. I am not sure there is enough to judge even if they are all, or part M9 they look erm..... nothing special

Am I missing something, I understand we are talking Magnum photographer and possibly the new M but........

I am not being critical just wondering why the 'wow' of the Venice, Cuba images of old are for me nowhere to be seen ?

• Like 2

Well, to be honest, I can't see how just giving a link escapes being easy, safe and cheap criticism.

Especially considering somebody on these forums told us that the blogowners claim that all these pictures are from the new M, maybe you should respond to the criticisms of colour and over exposure with your own view of the imagequality of these files.

The image quality looks fine overall. Exposures look very good; I don't see any overexposure. We don't know how the raw files were interpreted. I do sense that the red meats are off in the butcher shop photo (too purplish, magenta), but this seems consistent with M9 color. Beyond that, it's hard to draw firm conclusions, not knowing how the scenes look in reality. The photographer should clean the dust spots off the photos, but that's not a problem with either camera.

Edited by zlatkob
  • Like 1

I am not being critical just wondering why the 'wow' of the Venice, Cuba images of old are for me nowhere to be seen ?

There are some huge revelations here:

1) Taking good pictures is hard work.

2) Even Magnum photographers shoot waste.

3) A Leica itself does not make 'wow'-pictures.

4) It's sunny in Kirgistan in september.

Mike

Edited by Royal_Corona
  • Like 12

I don't remember the Venice photos, but the Cuba photos (if we're talking about the boxing photos) for the M9 were very post-processed. I think that some of the "wow" factor was added through artistic interpretation. The results were strong and vivid, though not exactly what you get straight out of the camera. Also, if I recall correctly, the boxing photos were staged and directed for the marketing campaign.

There are some huge revelations here:

1) Taking good pictures is hard work.

2) Even Magnum photographers shoot waste.

3) A Leica itself does not make 'wow'-pictures.

4) It's sunny in Kirgistan in september.

Mike

5) This is the best Leica has to offer!?

I think the colour cannot be judged yet, as it is mainly dependent on the camera profiles in raw conversion. Software developers seem to lag behind; the proper M9 colours were only visible after a few weeks, initial results were horrible. Capture One and Apple have not managed to incorporate Monochrome raw yet at all - and the camera is out for half a year.

• Like 1

6) Even Magnum photographers "chimp." :D

Yeah, something seems a bit "off" with all of the images, whether M9 or M. One would think if shot in September that would be plenty of time to process them. At the very least it looks as if they could use a bit of sharpening and some punch. Oh well, not my pics, not my call. I'll reserve judgment until I can actually play with some RAW files, better yet ones that I've shot.

Now I'm definitely planning on getting the M to join my MM, but it really does look a little Digilux 2 "brick-like" with the little extra width. Maybe I'm just seeing things.....

It's essentially the same size as your MM. The extra width is the thumbwheel/grip that sticks out from the rear of the top plate.

The photos Gaumy was taking during the video looked much more interesting than the photos pulled for the blog.

I worked with him in 2008, and he wasn't one to waste shots on anything he felt was ugly or uninteresting. (He actually offended a group of our employees by refusing to snap a photo of their office birthday celebration.) Maybe he's just giving Leica more than usual for R&D. (Or maybe he's taking more than usual to get to know the camera. He was using Nikons when he shot for us.)

I don't understand why they're posting photos from September at this point. Surely the firmware has improved since then. If the camera is almost ready to ship, why not give us some really recent photos?

The photographer had a few months to do some PP on these too (such as cloning out dust bunnies at least) but he didn't. Very strange. It's like we are in a time warp and it is still only a few days after the M launch.