Using 21mm or 24mm without external finder

xpr.108

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have only been using 40 rok and 35mm lens since I purchased my M system few years ago.

I am thinking about getting either 21 or 24mm to use with m6 or M8/9...

Pardon my ignorance, will I be able to focus these with m6 or m8/9? I understand that none of the camera I owned have those "frame line" built in. Is the external finder merely for framing your shot and nothing more?

Thank you in advance for clarifying this for me!

Is the external finder merely for framing your shot and nothing more?

Yes, it is merely for the careful and thoughtful composition of your image, it is pointless and a waste of time for anything else.:D

You still focus using the focus patch in the camera's viewfinder.

Steve

• Like 1

I just got a CV 15mm super wide heliar, but don't have a finder for it. Focusing through the rangefinder is no problem, but is impossible to accurately compose shots without the finder as you are just guessing. But you can still get the shots you want with a little trial and error. I am planning on using it with live view / evf on the new M, so I don't think I will get a finder for it. If I planned on using it regularly on the M9, I would definitely spring for the finder.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As you go wider, an external finder is essential for accurate framing. Without one, you will in most cases lose part of the image as you will need to crop.

In fact this is where I see one value in the new M as it can be used with the tilt electronic viewfinder. When I used an Olympus with the same tilt viewfinder used in the Leica, I could get close to ground level shots accurately.

As you go wider, an external finder is essential for accurate framing.

I have been using the 21SE without a finder for a few months with fair success BUT I recently picked up a Frankenfinder and the difference is significant. So, yes you can use a 21 without a finder, but as might be expected, it is a lot easier and 'better' to use it with one.

I cannot understand why anyone would invest in high quality precision equipment and then guess the picture framing without using a special viewfinder. It just does not make sense.

In my case its very simple - affording and finding a viewfinder..... especially as I wanted a Frankenfinder. I eventually bought one quite reasonably.

I cannot understand why anyone would invest in high quality precision equipment and then guess the picture framing without using a special viewfinder. It just does not make sense.
It just depends on how accurately one is able to estimate the field of view. Some photographers are amazingly good at it.

It is not as if these external viewfinders are anything near accurate. For instance the Zeiss ones are forever cutting of feet, the Leica ones are generally too narrow and CV ones have individual variation in accuracy. The Frankenfinder is probably the best of the lot.

Edited by jaapv

I am so glad that I can still focus with built-in viewfinder.

My preference would be not to use external finder (thanks for this thread) since I can focus using built-in finder. I simply find external viewfinder too <fill in the blank>, albeit very useful tool.

I'll have to get my hands a 15mm heliar or something to test my FOV skills.

Thanks again for clarifying this for me!

Yes, it is merely for the careful and thoughtful composition of your image, it is pointless and a waste of time for anything else.:D

You still focus using the focus patch in the camera's viewfinder.

Steve

You can also use zone focusing or hyperfocal technique, unless you want to shoot wide open for shallow depth of field.

Don't know 21mm, but I have Zeiss Zm 25mm.

With ZM 25mm, you can see the full view through M9's view finder, however, there is about 5~10% at the edge you have to move a little your eye towards the edge to really see the full view. If you wear a glass it might not be possible. For quick composition, you are looking at about 90~95% of the view. This may not be that bad, given most SLRs have only the 90% view finder.

However, I find it's a lot more comfortable to compose with a 24mm external view finder.

Mu suggestion, it's OK to use only M9's built-in viewfinder, but you may find the external viewfinder indispensable once you have it.

My 21mm 'lux was one of my most used lenss on my M9.

I never found an external finder to be helpful.

OTOH, I used an external finder just about 100% of the time when shooting at 16mm.

So, I would say, give it a go without one and see how you like it.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

http://www.hatakeyamagallery.com/april-2012-bill-fulcher/

• Like 1

Sold my 21 24 28 finder when purchasing 18 and got the Leica 18 finder. Also have a 24 so the dotted lines work for both lenses. And one can site between the two for 21. This finder is good if you think you might get an 18.

Sometimes throw on the 24 without the finder. You meter and focus as always. Found if put subject in middle and chimp get by. Especially if not in a rush.

If you go for the 21 you will want to use the finder to be sure to place interesting subjects properly in the foreground. Worth the time to install the finder.

So if you only do buildings or rocks you can chimp....or use new M without a finder.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been using the 21SE without a finder for a few months with fair success BUT I recently picked up a Frankenfinder and the difference is significant. So, yes you can use a 21 without a finder, but as might be expected, it is a lot easier and 'better' to use it with one.

Please forgive my ignorance and lack of familiarity with "insider code-speak". Even though I've been an avid Leica user for over 5 decades, I'm a total newbie when it comes to the interweb..............what on Earth is a Frankenfinder, pray tell ?

JZG

Please forgive my ignorance and lack of familiarity with "insider code-speak". Even though I've been an avid Leica user for over 5 decades, I'm a total newbie when it comes to the interweb..............what on Earth is a Frankenfinder, pray tell ?

JZG

I believe it is referred to as the Universal Wide-Angle Viewfinder M. It is large compared to the single finders. Some folks like them.