In Praise of the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar M

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Visited my regular Leica dealer to look att the new Q; he showed me a mint set of the old model Makro Elmar 90 and adapter (angle finder missing), asking SEK 19500 (around GBP 14000).  Having the M9 and the old MM (which both require the old adapter), I bought it.

Fantastic optics, very compact and nice to handle.  Only, it back focuses seriously, and my dealer´s summer closure had just begun when I found out... :angry: - and when he opens again, Leica will just have started THEIR August closure... :o   So, it will have to stay at home during my own holidays, which of course is a huge disappointment... :wacko:   Still, I expect it will be worth it when things are finally sorted out.

• Like 2

Of course the lens and adapter now made for the M are separate items and the old rangefinder type adapter no longer seems to be available separately. Leica made a point of saying that you could attach both the new adapter and lens and still use the extending lens in the normal (non-macro) way – but this divorces the rangefinder mechanism and so works with live view only! For general 90mm work I don't know why you'd want to attach the adapter, when focusing via rangefinder is so much less hassle…….

My personal view is that the APO-Summicron has a nicer rendering and is less flare prone than the new 90f4, but there's a real weight penalty with the big Summicron and it can only focus up to one metre vs 700mm. Every time I contemplate selling the Summicron I try it and then put it safely back on the shelf!

M users should try the red frameline option with a 90 lens: it somehow defines the area in shot better than the white – or rather, makes you pay proper attention!

Edited by microview

Visited my regular Leica dealer to look att the new Q; he showed me a mint set of the old model Makro Elmar 90 and adapter (angle finder missing), asking SEK 19500 (around GBP 14000).  Having the M9 and the old MM (which both require the old adapter), I bought it.

Fantastic optics, very compact and nice to handle.  Only, it back focuses seriously, and my dealer´s summer closure had just begun when I found out... :angry: - and when he opens again, Leica will just have started THEIR August closure... :o   So, it will have to stay at home during my own holidays, which of course is a huge disappointment... :wacko:   Still, I expect it will be worth it when things are finally sorted out.

Hej

Sorry to hear about focus problems with your new lens Per!! I also bought the Makro 90/4 (new version) this fall and really like it at lot! Hope you are able to sort out your problems soon!

Regards

/Anders

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After much consternation over which 90mm lens to get I decided on the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar over the 2.8/90 Elmarit-M and 2.5/90 Summarit. For me, image quality, reduced size and weight, and macro ability won out over the extra stop, especially as 90mm isn't usually the focal length direction I go (preference 21 to 50mm, occasional 75). The 2.0/90 Summicron was never on my radar - I already have a 2.0/75 Summicron ASPH).

So I picked up one as good as new from Tamarkin.

I finally got to play with it on the weekend.

What a fantastic lens.

No regrets getting it over it's more popular faster cousins.

Do other 4.0/90 Acrro-Elmar owners feel similarly?

Late afternoon, Cranes over Garden Island (Sydney's pint-sized Naval base)

M9 f5.6 1/500 sec hand-held

100% centre & edge crops:

attachicon.gif7/2/8/1/1/305814.attach

attachicon.gif7/2/8/1/1/305815.attach

attachicon.gif7/2/8/1/1/305816.attach

Will post some shallow DOF & closeups later.

Hi MarkP, like you I have taken a long process of choosing 90 mm lens. Reading reviews of all sorts of 90 mm M lenses. I even purchased a 2.0/90 Summicron demo model on condition should I not like it I can return it for refund, lovely lens, very heavy and it was returned. Next possible was a 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar, again it did not happen for various reasons. As I have a 2.0/75 Summicron APO that I like very much to get me closer to subject I got a Novoflex LEM / VIS II extension rings that works very well with the 75 Cron. So just today I purchased a 4.0/90 Minolta M mount from H.K. something to play with and evaluate. Regards, Vlad.

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense. I have the 75 Summicron and Summilux as I really like the 75mm focal length.

However, I primarily use 21 to 50mm but especially when travelling I find the slightly greater reach of the 90 to be very useful.

Enjoy the 4.0/90 Rokkor.

• 4 weeks later...

Directly into the sun.... F16.

That picture also reflects my experience with this lens.  I just love this little baby.  But it CAN flare badly in the right (wrong?) circumstances.  See:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/256551-whats-the-difference-between-the-old-macro-90mm-and-the-new-one/

..., post #7.

Guy