In praise of the Elmar-M 50mm f2.8

chris_tribble

Let me add the c-Elmar 90mm: I love it's compactness! […] It does not need aspheric & floating elements to have Leica fun!

Neither does the Macro-Elmar 90/4. Makes a perfect match with the last Elmar 50. It is significantly more expensive though....

• Like 2

Great lens at short distance too.

http://tinyurl.com/6vzxsp2

Both this example and SteveK's also show how nicely it renders OOF areas as well as those that are in focus.

I can remember coming across from Canon and thinking that Leica lenses could not be serious after years working with L series primes. How could such a small piece of glass give good results?

Now I know better!

Neither does the Macro-Elmar 90/4. Makes a perfect match with the last Elmar 50. It is significantly more expensive though....

I would think that the 2.8/28 Elmarit, 2.8/50 Elmar-M, and the 4/90 Macro-Elmar would be an excellent compact set.

Nice set Chris, I love 50's and have a few. I like the Elmar M, it's on my M7 now, but I shoot it on the M9 plenty and took some amazing shots with it in New Orleans last year. It's a great little lens, perfect for traveling. For a really small kit, I take the M9, 50 Elmar M and 35 Perar.

I would think that the 2.8/28 Elmarit, 2.8/50 Elmar-M, and the 4/90 Macro-Elmar would be an excellent compact set.

My favorite 'slow' kit with the Elmar 24/3.8 or Skopar 21/4.

Edit: I forgot the Summarit 35/2.5.

Edited by lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just agreed to buy one on the forum before your post....

I had dithered a bit (just how many 50's do I need ??) but my experience with the 90/4 has made me hanker for these delightful collapsible lenses....

A quick dip into Puts confirmed it's worth a go...

Nice to have your post as reassurance !

• Like 1

I was thinking of selling mine after I sold my M7 last month, but maybe I'll shoot it on the M9 for a bit, even though it is uncoded.

I should really do a comparison with the 50mm Summarit f/2.5 I have, as they are similar in size, speed and weight. I like the Summarit a lot. Anyone else got both and can summarise the differences?

Edmond - nice to hear you're still using yours... :)

I shot all of these on my 50mm Elmar-M:

Flickr: Search edopix's photostream

I was on a video assignment and just wanted to take one M9 & lens. With the Elmar-M I could collapse the lens and fit it into a tiny shoulder bag and even my jacket pocket. Such a great lens and a very tiny footprint.

Edmond

• Like 2

The Elmar-M 50mm f2.8 is an excellent lens.

Criticism in these threads about having to extend and collapse it is irrelevant. You buy the lens with that acceptance. What you get is a beautifully constructed and outstandingly good objective that has the added convenience of being small on the camera or in the pocket if you want it to be.

It is probably the fastest manually focused lens I have ever used and is sharp enough at all apertures to make the other irrelevant common critcism, ie comparison with the 50mm Summicron, irrelevant. It's a quirky, individual and interesting 50mm lens in use.

It also makes a great alternative partner for a Noctilux or Summilux for those occasions when a fast maximum aperture and associated weight and bulk are not required.

• Like 6

Couldn't agree more with the last comment. I was on a train to Reading today and passed a group waiting to get a different train to the Royal Ascot race meeting. Shot grabbed through the train window. The Elmar is so quick to focus. An iPhone wouldn't have done this - and I wouldn't have bothered to have a camera with me if I hadn't decided to pop the M9 + Elmar in a nondescript shoulder bag (and I love the way it renders colours).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

My favorite lens hands down. Some people on this forum say that all the modern Leica lenses have no difference in character and that the only thing that separates them is their max aperture. I think this is the one lens that everyone can agree is a unique performer. Great contrast and deep color saturation (especially blue skies) are a couple of the reasons I like it so much.

• Like 2

And in support of its B&W qualities (Menindee Lakes,Tri-X, Red filter).....

• Like 2

I thought that the Sonnar was taller than the Summilux. Is there a compact version now?

+++ for the C-Sonnar. Beautiful lens but very different to my Summilux ASPH. Soft open & tack sharp at smaller apertures, lovely colour rendition. . Mine's been adjusted for digital by Zeiss with minimal residual focus shift.

Yes it is a compact design. Hence C-Sonnar

• Like 3

+++ for the C-Sonnar. Beautiful lens but very different to my Summilux ASPH. Soft open & tack sharp at smaller apertures, lovely colour rendition. . Mine's been adjusted for digital by Zeiss with minimal residual focus shift.

Yes it is a compact design. Hence C-Sonnar

[ATTACH]321274[/ATTACH]

And 335 grams for the black Summilux asph versus 250 grams for the C Sonnar.

• Like 1