Upgrade M9 to M9P Merged Thread

jaapv

Why's that then ? :confused:

One big advantage I've discovered for myself with my M9-P is how much better the screen is without a GGS protector on it. Not sure I'll upgrade the screen on my M9, but I might if the cost suits me.

Two reasons I suppose: When I come to sell it - to fund purchase of an M10, I want

it to be in the best posible condition and secondly.. I've always had LCD protectors

on all my cameras - even rubbishy chunky bits of plastic that has made no difference to

me when reviewing the photo to check focus and exposure and IMO the screen is of that

poor quality on the M9/M9-P worrying about the viewing quality after putting a protector

on the front is completely negligible.

Two reasons I suppose: When I come to sell it - to fund purchase of an M10, I want

it to be in the best posible condition and secondly.. I've always had LCD protectors

on all my cameras - even rubbishy chunky bits of plastic that has made no difference to

me when reviewing the photo to check focus and exposure and IMO the screen is of that

poor quality on the M9/M9-P worrying about the viewing quality after putting a protector

on the front is completely negligible.

Pointless to protect a sapphire screen. I have one on my watch, the surrounding is worn but the glass is totally as clean as new.

Best regards,

Baptiste

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

depends how you carry it, I carry mine using one strap lug with camera at my side

where it often rubs on my belt and I'm not willing to perform an expensive experiment.

Pointless to protect a sapphire screen. I have one on my watch, the surrounding is worn but the glass is totally as clean as new.

Best regards,

Baptiste

I will add this - Leica have used the exact same LCD screen here and added a sapphire

screen protector. Since, you can purchase these and apply yourself for considerably

less expense than Leica would charge you it does not seem cost effective for me to

have Leica perform the upgrade.

The only downside obviously being you will be putting a sapphire screen on top

of the original protector Leica used, but as I addressed in an earlier post - since

the quality of the screen is nothing to write home about in the first place it just does

not seem worth it to me and this coming from someone who owns and M9-P

not someone who owns an M9 and lusting for it with sour grapes. Tis your money

at end of the day, just trying to save you some. If we were talking about a much

higher resolution screen here or even one in which the screen preview was somewhat

accurate and resembled the final output image, it would perhaps be another story for

me. But it isen't

Yes, I just shot an e mail to Solms to reserve a spot to have my M9 upgraded. I really want that clearer sapphire screen. I think it's worth the cost and warranty extension. Adds value to camera.

You can be pretty certain it will add less value to your camera than the cost to you of the upgrade.

Doesn't mean its bad value, but you will lose money on the deal (unless you need expensive repairs under the extended part of the warranty, but that calculation applies to all all kinds of insurance).

I cannot be certain of anything, nor can anyone else. Not even tomorrow. But if the dollar crashes and other fiat currencies die, owning a nice Leica is as good as GOLD. Well, almost...

One of these days Leica, to own new, could well cost $15,000 devalued US dollars...

In other words, BUY things you plan to keep and enjoy a long time NOW with paper money, or should I say "confetti" -- because that's what it will be.

Just saying'

Best regards,

Baptiste

Depends on the type of damage. The sapphire glass may resist scratches, but various protectors can provide varying amounts of impact protection. The cellphone fora are full of posts from people who thought their scratch-proof Gorilla Glass couldn't be cracked by an impact, which is not true at all.

• Like 1

depends how you carry it, I carry mine using one strap lug with camera at my side

where it often rubs on my belt and I'm not willing to perform an expensive experiment.

Certainly correct if your belt is diamond-studded. :rolleyes:

Seems a bit like like using a condom, and about as satisfying. ;)

I guess your comment is mostly or entirely in jest (appropriately), but it is true with touch screens that the more effective films really do degrade screen response. There is no free lunch...

• Like 1

I heard from Leica today today after a query. Looks like from October on there will be a program for existing M9 owners to refurbish their cameras with the sapphire screen at least. Not sure what else might be on the menu, and don't know what it will cost, but this may be a decent (if costly?) opportunity the have one's M9 checked throughly and come out of the shop as essentially an M9-P, though one without the chrome finish. If the cost is reasonable, I am going to have this done, sensor cleaned, etc.

Also, US M9 owners can apparently have this work done in New Jersey. Not necessary to ship camera to Solms.

• Like 1

This is covered elsewhere - you have the option of sapphire glass and/or MP topdeck (which I assume includes replacing the bottom cover plate - it would look a bit odd having a chrome top and grey paint bottom).

Jaap got a price of Euros 1,050. Mine's booked in for October.

Cheers

John

In my opinon is not worth it. Why spend 1000 euros for a glass and a top plate and next year when I want to trade in for a new m10 I will get 200 more on my so called M9-P body that on the M9. Waste of money.

I'm waiting for the M10.

That will be for sure much better than M9. I think someone at Solms is hired to read all our complaints on this forum and for sure they will address all the problems.

Also I see a price increase next year on R lenses which are so cheap now. That will be a good investment. As soon as the R digital body is out the ebay will be asaulted by R lenses buyers.