Upgrade M9 to M9P Merged Thread

jaapv

According to Leica CS in solms Shirley De Silva at Leica NJ is handling all of the upgrade enquiries for the M9 to M9-P in the United States. When I spoke with her this morning she said there was presently an embargo which precluded her from discussing the matter until this Wednesday, June 29th when she would be able to give me further details.

That's good, so I can wait until my M9 reaches the age of 23 months and then turn it into the M9-P ;) Do you happen to know, if it's possible to upgrade from grey to black?

I cannot think of any reason why not; but call Leica CS and ask.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you know if the hot shoe on the M9 will be replaced with the top plate?, mine is a black M9 and the hot shoe is chrome, so strictly speaking it should be black with serial number & M9-P engraved on it or will they just engrave M9-P on the original hot shoe? then those in the know can see you have an upgrade!!!. jaap how did you manage to book november leica cs london said they would contact me nearer the time ie, october, i will be waiting for a phone call or email i guess.

Edited by andreas schuback

ask Leica- we will only know in October when upgraded cameras are on our hands. As for the hot shoe and what kind of camera "people" think I have, I could not care less, to be honest.

What's the estimated turn around time like?

For my M8 to M8u - shutter, frame lines and sapphire screen - it look around 4 weeks door to door. I rang Solms to find the best time to send it in and so they would be expecting it and it all worked very efficiently. I don't know if the same would hold true now with all the pressure on Solms to produce lenses and M9-P's though but I'd like to think it would.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an idea when Leica might be offering an upgrade to original M9 -- sapphire screen especially? And what might be the cost?

No point in getting an M9-P... but the M10, well, that's another matter, depending on what it is.

Anyway, if the upgrade is available and reasonable, an excellent to time have my M9 checked, recalibrated or whatever -- though it seems to be working fine for now.

Just my 2 penneth: But I have a black M9-P and I still put a screen protector on it anyway,

Why's that then ? :confused:

One big advantage I've discovered for myself with my M9-P is how much better the screen is without a GGS protector on it. Not sure I'll upgrade the screen on my M9, but I might if the cost suits me.

James I respectfully disagree:)

This has been kicked about here many times previously of course but reports here represent a tiny fraction of what are perhaps 30,000 or more M9s in circulation so far.

On the M9-P I think 1500 delivered in first production? We heard of one with a skewed LCD diplay in a recent thread. So they are up to 0.07% failure rate so far based on Forum statistical methodology (yes a meaningless statistic of course!)

My M8 upgrade was flawless. Yep also proves nothing!

Now watch for replies disagreeing with me :D Perhaps by the end of the thread there will be the usual 'fanboy' insults levelled :eek:

Definately! And given the number of quality control issues that are reported here I'd be rather reluctant to send a camera back to Solms unless I had no choice.
  • Like 2