Upgrade M9 to M9P Merged Thread

jaapv

to dwbell --

One does not preclude the other in many peoples worlds.

- Great musicians using mint condition instruments.

- Very serious triathletes with immaculate, latest and greatest carbon bikes.

- Professional motor racers with immaculate 911's.

- Top level golfers who clean and re-grip their clubs every 5 or so rounds.

In each of this instances, performance is enhanced and, at that level of competition, necessarily enhanced ..... performance of the m9 is not enhanced by where the logo is or a sapphire cover on a subpar lcd.

now, if you think the gestalt of that design makes you believe you are a better photographer, fine. but let's not confuse cosmetics with the camera's performance.

like i wrote, i think its a beautiful design. but for $1400 i can buy summarit or zeiss lens, and that would be a technical advancement worth paying for. imho.

• Like 1

on and on....

A brassed camera show's someone is passionate does it? Could it not also show they have a high acidity in their sweat and / or are clumsy / careless? :)

no, i think it shows that they use it how it was intended to be used but it also represents a work ethic and mindset which is not really affected by new things. they're interested in other people's reactions to new things.

I must admit- I really love the new M9P. I thought the Titan was the ugliest camera to leave solms since the M5- but the M9P is really good looking if you ask me. Indeed Leica stole the idea from me: I rang them last year when they were repairing my m8 and I said they should make a Chrome M9 with Leica engraved on the top and nothing on the front.

They told me that many customers did not want the logo on the top of the camera....

now they come out with my idea.... what gives?

I have a question Jaap: will this upgrade be 1000 Euro if you go from a black M9 to a chrome m9P?

and will Solms let me keep my baseplate and camera top? ;-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This whole "my camera is showing brass so I'm a real photographer" stuff is just pathetic Chrome is better than paint. Period. Leica should have always offered chrome in the M9.

If a guy drives around in a rusty car it does not make him a great driver...

• Like 4

No not forced into it by anyone else except my inner desire for completely uneccessary superficial upgrades :-) I'm fighting it. Inner turmoil. Lust and desire. Then I look at my bank statement and figure saving for my tax bill and nappies for my daughter would be money better spent. I probably would upgrade if I could.

• Like 1

I think the M9P is going to appeal to the I want the latest model brigade.Why not put the extra grand towards some new glass

You mean like overgaard who posted above you? Yeah, sure. He loves it and happens to be in incredibly accomplished photographer.

to dwbell --

One does not preclude the other in many peoples worlds.

- Great musicians using mint condition instruments.

- Very serious triathletes with immaculate, latest and greatest carbon bikes.

- Professional motor racers with immaculate 911's.

- Top level golfers who clean and re-grip their clubs every 5 or so rounds.

In each of this instances, performance is enhanced and, at that level of competition, necessarily enhanced ..... performance of the m9 is not enhanced by where the logo is or a sapphire cover on a subpar lcd.

now, if you think the gestalt of that design makes you believe you are a better photographer, fine. but let's not confuse cosmetics with the camera's performance.

like i wrote, i think its a beautiful design. but for $1400 i can buy summarit or zeiss lens, and that would be a technical advancement worth paying for. imho.

Yes, but holding on to this theory that if you have the best your not a good photographer, or if you keep the old one you somehow are is just bizarre, especially for such apparently intelligent people! Also the (again) straw man rubbish of "keep the money and buy a zeiss lens" - is it not possible to buy the M9P, buy new Leica glass AND be a good photographer who likes buying cameras, lenses and other gear?

It all just stinks of pettiness. You don't want it. Fine with me, why you would try to judge those who do want it is beyond me and a bit sad.

A brassed camera show's someone is passionate does it? Could it not also show they have a high acidity in their sweat and / or are clumsy / careless? :)

Lol, well at the very least it shows a photographer who works hard enough at his oeuvre to break into a sweat !

But its going to be interesting in a few years time this upgrade business, cameras with brand new outer skins and 200,000 shutter actuations appearing on Ebay. LUF will need a sub-forum to sort out enquiries about real age and real condition.

Steve

I actually think this is good news. My black's going to be VERY brassed in a year or two. If I do want to sell (assuming that the M10 is sufficiently attractive), being able to get a CLA and new outer will, IMHO, make it much easier to shift on the market... Not that tempted otherwise.

Not completely off topic, can anyone remember if there's a warranty extension after a CLA?

They told me that many customers did not want the logo on the top of the camera....

now they come out with my idea.... what gives?

Don't worry too much it was not your idea in the first place :)

I think Jaap had his M9 engraved about 5 minutes after receiving it and I had mine done in the same way shortly after getting mine (so Jaap if you need a second M9 with your name on, call me ;);) )

Ian

As a M8 owner I am severly disturbed by the title of this thread. As we all know the M8 is the only true original digital Leica M so the further you get removed from the M8 the more the camera is downgraded. This should be obvious to all of us.:cool:

Edit: Jaapv, thought you would be waiting for the 35/1 noctilux ASPH and the 28/1.4 summilux ASPH?

Edited by SJP

after this upgrade will Leica let us keep our M9 camera top and bottom plate? ;-)

It is an interesting conundrum:

Sell M9 for 5500 add 2500 for new M9-P = New camera+ 2Years warranty+ Light Room software+Brand New Battery= TOTAL cost 2500.

Upgrade existing M9 for 1500 = Old(ish) M9P(u)+ 1 Year Warranty TOTAL cost 1500

(figures are rubbery)

question is: is an extra year of warranty and a new camera worth an additional 1000? Will a 2011 manufactured camera have subtle improvements over a 2009 one?

If a new version of LR was on the horizon things would become more complex again. If you already have LR installed can you on-sell your new copy?

another question: will an upgraded m9Pu have as good a resale value as a straight M9P?

If Solms will let us keep out M9 top and bottom we could sell these for a further reduction in the upgrade cost. Not sure of the market for these parts either?

But wait a minute: shouldn't I be out taking pictures and brassing the crap out of my camera?

Edited by jaques
  • Like 1