Upgrade M9 to M9P Merged Thread

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The upgrade only makes sense if you are planning to keep your M9 for a time. Those of use who paid to have their M8's upgraded ended up with a much better camera but any increase in resale value didn't begin to reflect the cost of the upgrade.

The announcement of the new interchangeable lens camera for Photokina might mean there's no upgrade likely for the M body and the lifetime of the M9 camera may be longer than expected.which might then make the upgrade more worthwhile.

How much is an M9-Pro without "snapshot mode" ?

Yes, if the snapshot profile is still included in this supposedly "professional" camera, the M9-P will simply be confirmed as a cynical parts bin exercise and all the "professional" spin can be classified as marketing tripe.

Still, Leica will be able to reel in the punters and relieve them of their money without having to deliver anything which actually improves the standard of images the camera produces. They'll be teaming up with Hermes next...

• Like 2

The upgrade only makes sense if you are planning to keep your M9 for a time. Those of use who paid to have their M8's upgraded ended up with a much better camera but any increase in resale value didn't begin to reflect the cost of the upgrade.

The announcement of the new interchangeable lens camera for Photokina might mean there's no upgrade likely for the M body and the lifetime of the M9 camera may be longer than expected.which might then make the upgrade more worthwhile.

Mine will not be up for resale -like my upgraded M8 isn't. Cameras I intend to keep are engraved with my name ;) And in comparison to the M8 this upgrade is quite reasonably priced (for Leica that is) especially for a camera at the end of the normal guaranty.

I talked to CS Solms today. Upgrades, either crystal screen or full upgrade to M9P will be available from October onwards. The price of a full upgrade will be 1050 Euro net (EU add VAT)

But it will save you the cost of an extended guaranty if your camera is about two years old then (mine will be past two years) so that makes it quite reasonable by Leica standards.

I booked the second week of November. By then it will have been through an extended trip in Africa and need a CLA anyway, making it even more attractive. Chrome I think, and an extra engraving of my name at the back :)

How could they do that for 1050 EU ? How much is a years warranty worth ? 500 EU A CLA 300EU screen 300 EU ...Basplate alone is $300 so add $225 EU Top Plate ? Covering ?

A cla is basically part of any major work as is a year's guaranty with Leica. Any camera that leaves CS is technically "as new" Leica has always operated that way.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, if the snapshot profile is still included in this supposedly "professional" camera, the M9-P will simply be confirmed as a cynical parts bin exercise and all the "professional" spin can be classified as marketing tripe.

Still, Leica will be able to reel in the punters and relieve them of their money without having to deliver anything which actually improves the standard of images the camera produces. They'll be teaming up with Hermes next...

I always found that part of the charm of M cameras, going way back to their early days and surviving still, was that they were usable by anyone from beginner to experienced expert (or even pro!), and that unlike many a pro camera, they weren't intimidating to amateurs, yet in the right hands were capable of truly sublime top-quality results.

• Like 1

How could they do that for 1050 EU ? How much is a years warranty worth ? 500 EU A CLA 300EU screen 300 EU ...Basplate alone is $300 so add $225 EU Top Plate ? Covering ?

I would say that their 'cost' to provide these is substantially less. Still, it is beginning to look as though, if you were going to get a CLA and extended warranty anyway, you can get close to getting a new screen and MP-9 upgrade for almost nothing.

question is: is an extra year of warranty and a new camera worth an additional 1000? Will a 2011 manufactured camera have subtle improvements over a 2009 one?

If a new version of LR was on the horizon things would become more complex again. If you already have LR installed can you on-sell your new copy?

another question: will an upgraded m9Pu have as good a resale value as a straight M9P?

HI Jaques - I'm not sure about the answers, but I'm certainly feeling that I'm willing to pay a bit more to have a new camera - nothing wrong with mine, so I might regret it of course,

I upgraded both my M8's, and it was certainly not a worthwhile financial exercise as they commanded little if any premium over the originals.

no, i think it shows that they use it how it was intended to be used but it also represents a work ethic and mindset which is not really affected by new things. they're interested in other people's reactions to new things.

When I started an apprenticeship more than 50 years ago, I was taught that one way of recognising a fine craftsman was by the state of his tools. Scratched or worn tools were a sure sign of a journeyman who was second-rate or worse. One should buy the highest-possible grade of tools, then take good care of them, I was told.

A somewhat talented friend who abandoned an academic career in the the early 1960s to become a professional photographer was eventually frogmarched to the camera store by his mentor and told to replace his Russian camera and lenses with Pentax kit. Clients at the middle and top end of the market expect you to have good-quality equipment maintained in fine condition, he was told.

Perhaps it was - to paraphrase the words of Obi Wan Kenobi - a more elegant rule for a more elegant age.

The professional photographers I worked alongside in the 1970s and early 1980s seemed to look after their kit. But when I met profession photographers in the 1990s, I was surprised to discover that some of the best had cameras that were scuffed, worn down to the brass, and in come cased has partially or totally-missing coverings.

Best regards,

Doug

Seems to me that the issue of security has been ignored here.

Certainly thieves are studying this closely, and will soon be changing their practices to ignore cheap cameras with red dots and instead focusing their efforts on discreet chrome and black cameras.

Jeff

Seems to me that the issue of security has been ignored here.

Certainly thieves are studying this closely, and will soon be changing their practices to ignore cheap cameras with red dots and instead focusing their efforts on discreet chrome and black cameras.

Jeff

During a discussion conducted some years ago in another Leica forum on the risk of theft, one member – by profession a lawyer – claimed that we were over-estimating the intelligence of the average criminal. Since much of his career consisted of defending such low-life, he had formed the opinion what most were not exactly well-endowed in matters of IQ. What they were looking for was something they could quickly ‘fence’ to raise money for their next drug fix, drink, or whatever.

He found the notion that they would recognise the Leica red dot as an indication that the camera was worth stealing to be unrealistic. The kind of camera the average thief would regard as a good target would be one that looked just like the sort that everybody else was using and would be easy to ‘fence’.

That said, there undoubtedly will be criminals who will target high-quality camera kit, and thus will know what to go for, also those with the knowledge of how to 'fence' this sort of hardware if they find it during a burglary. But the distinctive general appearance of the Leica is probably independent of the camera's cosmetic features.

Best regards,

Doug

During a discussion conducted some years ago in another Leica forum on the risk of theft, one member – by profession a lawyer – claimed that we were over-estimating the intelligence of the average criminal. Since much of his career consisted of defending such low-life, he had formed the opinion what most were not exactly well-endowed in matters of IQ. What they were looking for was something they could quickly ‘fence’ to raise money for their next drug fix, drink, or whatever.

He found the notion that they would recognise the Leica red dot as an indication that the camera was worth stealing to be unrealistic. The kind of camera the average thief would regard as a good target would be one that looked just like the sort that everybody else was using and would be easy to ‘fence’.

That said, there undoubtedly will be criminals who will target high-quality camera kit, and thus will know what to go for, also those with the knowledge of how to 'fence' this sort of hardware if they find it during a burglary. But the distinctive general appearance of the Leica is probably independent of the camera's cosmetic features.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, I hope someone hasn't stolen your humor gene.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Yes but that is VAT included and the 1050 VAT excluded.

No, I think it is the ex-VAT price.

"Please fill in the form to order the warranty renewal for your Leica M9.

For only 290,- € (excl. VAT) you can renew your Leica warranty for another"

Edited by wattsy

I look after my kit but it is only kit and there is no way that you can stop the paint coming off a grey M9 or black M9 unless you hardly use it or keep in half or full case all the time. I have 2 and the grey one which I got when it came out has the paint rubbing off even where the strap rubs against the body. the black one which has had less use has paint coming off at the edges. this is just from general rubbing against things. So my cameras are mechanically well looked after etc but paint rubbing can't be avoided

No, I think it is the ex-VAT price.

"Please fill in the form to order the warranty renewal for your Leica M9.

For only 290,- € (excl. VAT) you can renew your Leica warranty for another"

Woops - even more expensive than I thought - as a separate item not worth it I'd say.

Doug, I hope someone hasn't stolen your humor gene.

Jeff

Given that this is an international forum, and that English is not the native language of many of our members, I assume that most messages are intended as serious discussion. When I read your phrase “cheap cameras with red dots”, I assumed that it was probably a reference to Leica ‘point and shoot’ cameras and that you were raising what you saw as a legitimate point – that the news of an yet-more-expensive Leica camera might have not gone un-noticed by the criminal fraternity.

Recently back from the Paris Air Show, I have some 10,000 words to write in the coming days, and no less than three deadlines. So my brain is running in 'gut & fillet the data' mode, and my sense of humour is only active when I'm away from the keyboard.

Best regards,

Doug