Fort Nepean (5 images )

stumac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fort Nepean guarded the entrance to Port Phillip bay, Victoria Australia from the 1880s to 1945

#1 Observation post

#2 One entrance to underground system of tunnels and storerooms

#3 Section of tunnel

#4 Powder magazine

#5 Disappearing gun mount, raised and lowered hydraulically.

Interesting military architecture. While I am not an expert, I am astonished to see that many flat surfaces and straight edges in the first picture. I always assumed that fortresses of the late 19th and the 20th centuries have curved outlines to better deflect grenades.

Regards,

Marcus

Stuart - Fascinating series. That first shot in particular is intriguing...with a bit of refurbishment, I could be fooled into thinking it was a Corbusier villa on the Cote d'Azur. Interesting to compare it with some of the German Atlantic Wall defences in France, many of which seem much more art deco than Bauhaus like this. Thanx for sharing.

cheers:

Sam

Marcus,

The construction is of cast concrete, obviously straight formwork the easiest to build.

As the fort was designed to engage hostile ships, I dont think curved walls would provide much protection from big guns.

Stuart,

You can explore more when you come and stay with us.

Sam,

I dont think the public works department were influenced by the Bauhaus movement, function and cost would have been their prime concern.

Thanks for looking

Regards Stuart