Perfect bag for a rangefinder kit!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve just been reading Bill Palmer’s blog ‘Rangefound’, in which he says (when talking about street thieves):

“Don't make their lives easy by wandering around in a daze with that split-screen Morris Minor of bags a Fogg over your shoulder - it just screams "more money than sense" - or indeed taste.”

I’d never seen a Fogg bag, but a quick check on the internet shows that they are similar in style to Billingham bags.

Well, perhaps that does indeed prove I have no taste, and have more money than sense, but any thief who grabs my Billingham in Paris later this month will find that his ‘haul’ amounts to a notebook, a rolled up necktie, a comb, a couple of pens, and a pile of press handouts. I use my Hadley Pro as a briefcase, not because I’m trying to make a fashion statement, but because it’s a rugged and fast-opening bag that has proved ideal at trade shows.

When I use it as a camera bag, I hope the message it is sending to would-be thieves is:

“I’m an old geezer who carries an ancient-looking camera (probably bought year he got married in the 1960s) in an old army-surplus satchel.”

Best regards,

Doug

I’d never seen a Fogg bag, but a quick check on the internet shows that they are similar in style to Billingham bags.

Quite similar, but depends on bag, color and year made. My dozen year old, solid black Fogg, has no visible labels (unlike even current Billinghams), no shiny leather or other markings, and is a simple rectangular black bag. The difference from other bags of that era, and a key reason I bought it, is that I've never had to buy another bag since. The materials are first rate, and when I lost some inserts, the owners sent me a full set for free...great customer service.

Jeff

Quite similar, but depends on bag, color and year made. My dozen year old, solid black Fogg, has no visible labels (unlike even current Billinghams), no shiny leather or other markings, and is a simple rectangular black bag. The difference from other bags of that era, and a key reason I bought it, is that I've never had to buy another bag since. The materials are first rate, and when I lost some inserts, the owners sent me a full set for free...great customer service.

Jeff

Jeff, I take your word. But why should it replace the black Leica version of the Billingham I have? What's better about it? (Not interested to get a bigger / fancier / more hippie looking bag). So far I thought the Leica black bag was the closest thing to invisible+weightless. But I admit it's the first time I give this topic a thought.

Best regards,

Simon

Jeff, I take your word. But why should it replace the black Leica version of the Billingham I have? What's better about it?

You shouldn't. Nor did I say it was better than any particular bag. I merely commented on Doug's (and Bill's) above critique based on my own contrary experience. If you have one that you like, that's all that matters. There is no perfect bag to suit everyone...didn't you know?

BTW, I don't use any bag 'on the street'...only for transport...unless it's raining, and even then generally just put the camera under a jacket.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

My problem is that when I go out for the day, there are other things to think about. Usually the M8 with one lens is fine but also I need to carry wallet, notebook, pen, small bottle of water, apple, phone and yesterday my Kindle as I was on a train there and back plus map. So for me it is not just camera but also all the other odds and ends I need to carry.

Yes, I have lots of bags but I use mostly either the Hadley Small but not for the collection above for which I use my Crumpler messenger bag which probably has one of their silly juvenile names which I cannot be bothered to remember - really puts me off Crumpler.

Oi! The more modern we become the more crap we have to schlep around. It's like carrying a purse. Me? A wallet, cell phone, nitro, keys and one Leica, sometimes two. No purses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oi! The more modern we become the more crap we have to schlep around. It's like carrying a purse. Me? A wallet, cell phone, nitro, keys and one Leica, sometimes two. No purses.

The mobile phone I carry at the request of my wife, the Kindle was a present from her but it has the same packing effect, more or less, as a book. Many years ago I could wander around with my camera in its ERC, one key in my pocket and a bit of cash and that was it. And maybe a swiss army knife with a dehydrated 'get me out of here' thingy.

Anyway it is a misty morning and I am off down to the Mosel with tripod, M8 and dog. The dog is to give me an excuse for all the photos I mess up. And I mustn't forget the bag. The dog is a Labrador and doesn't fit in the bag. Anybody got any ideas.

...“Don't make their lives easy by wandering around in a daze with that split-screen Morris Minor of bags a Fogg over your shoulder - it just screams "more money than sense" - or indeed taste.”...

My last more-money-than-sense bag is an Artisan & Artist DCAM-7200. One M body, 5 small lenses and accessories in a 24 x 14 x 8 cm package. No diving or climbing with it, though, the leather is too soft. :D

http://tinyurl.com/6ya69dy

I’ve just been reading Bill Palmer’s blog ‘Rangefound’, in which he says (when talking about street thieves):

“Don't make their lives easy by wandering around in a daze with that split-screen Morris Minor of bags a Fogg over your shoulder - it just screams "more money than sense" - or indeed taste.”

Doug, thanks for the mention :D But I just want to nip this in the bud. I am a happy Hadley Pro owner, as well as a Billingham "briefcase" (a 330-sized bag that is excellent for overnight stays and carries a laptop with ease as well as fitting the Hadley insert). From personal experience I would say that there is a world of difference - philosophically as well as physically - between the practical Billinghams and the over-egged Foggs.

My issue with the Foggs - including the monocoloured ones - is that they most closely resemble half-timbered houses - or cars. They are built solidly, are well padded and could probably withstand a minor thermonuclear blast, but I wouldn't want one on my shoulder. I prefer bags, like the Billinghams, Safrottos and the original Domkes - that both protect and mould to your body and your kit. Above all I don't want a bag that looks like it comes with a free pair of stout brown brogues and two tickets to a Kenneth More film. ;)

In the two links above I have tried to pick two bags that are broadly similar in size and intended function. You decide - the "330" or the "Diva"... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

Good morning, Bill.

Although I must confess having more than half a dozen Kenneth Moore films in my DVD collection, but no stout brown brogues in my wardrobe, my reaction to the Fogg Diva bag shown in the link you provided was to burst out laughing. As you suggested, it summons up mental images of half-timbered houses or the cars from the movie ‘Genevieve’. The Fogg products I’d looked at were less elaborate.

I like your signature line – in uncapitalised form (apart from the 'L' in 'Leica') it would sum up what I hope we all are.

Best regards,

Doug

• Like 1

I went on a ten day holiday in sicily and took with me my M8, a CV 28/1.9, a Lux 50/1.4 and an Elmar-C 90/4 in an Artisan & Artist Oskar's One Day Bag and found it absolutely comfortable and handy. That's my RF bag from now on.

It is light, strong, roomy and almost not looking like a camera bag. For the first time since I use the M8 i felt very ok.

My issue with the Foggs - including the monocoloured ones - is that they most closely resemble half-timbered houses - or cars.

If my old (near a dozen years) black Fogg b-laika looked like the one you pictured, I'd throw up as well. Fortunately it does not, nor like anything else pictured on the current Fogg site. It's more plain than any of the similar current Billinghams, being old, with no visible label, no shiny leather, no multiple tones, no shiny metal (excepting one brass clasp smaller than a pea), and no 'layers' of anything...just a simple well worn black bag with one flap.

Plus, it stays mostly in the car or hotel, so you'd be unlikely to ever see it on the street. But, trust me, if you saw it, you'd be unimpressed...in a good way. I disdain advertisements on anything I wear or carry (including red dots); my tastes run more to classic appeal. My old Fogg fits the bill.

With all the new competition, Fogg has added lots of over-the-top bags. Reminds me of a certain camera company that has a foundation in classics, yet always seems to be offering some garish new edition. Or, maybe like a car company that takes a good design and ruins it by making it bigger and bolder year by year.

Jeff

Fogg bags don't look like that new (it's a cleaned up digital promo shot), let along after a short period of outdoor use when they will soon look well used, like some family heirloom. I like my Flute here in Greece because it does not overheat in direct sunshine like many other bags.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have several bags but find that none of them are really satisfactory for my purposes, which is to carry 2 Leica Ms with lenses attached and 2 further lenses, plus a few pockets batteries/cards etc. I have a LowPro which I adapt for this purpose but like most bags it is designed for one camera plus lenses.

I dont often post in bag threads but I'm getting fed up with not finding what I need. Any advice from others who carry the two bodies/lenses plus an extra two lenses much appreciated.

Jeff

I use the insert from that one in my Tumi bag.

1213065072_sfyWG-XL-1.jpg

That is a nice bag but it seems to scream "steal me" :)

I have several bags but find that none of them are really satisfactory for my purposes, which is to carry 2 Leica Ms with lenses attached and 2 further lenses, plus a few pockets batteries/cards etc.

Depends on how careful you want to be with your gear. I've used my Crumpler Wonder Weenie for years to hold an EOS (D)SLR with lens and usually two additional lenses. I have one of those big cotton kikoys folded as a cushion at the bottom which also allows easy wrapping of all items to prevent scratching etc. Works great for me and doesn't advertise camera bag, please rob. Plus it holds whatever else I need.

I have several bags but find that none of them are really satisfactory for my purposes, which is to carry 2 Leica Ms with lenses attached and 2 further lenses, plus a few pockets batteries/cards etc. I have a LowPro which I adapt for this purpose but like most bags it is designed for one camera plus lenses.

I dont often post in bag threads but I'm getting fed up with not finding what I need. Any advice from others who carry the two bodies/lenses plus an extra two lenses much appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff, look at the ACAM 3000 (A&A Pen & Pencil I think). That is slightly bigger than one mentioned above and will take M+tele; 2xlenses joined; and another M body or Compact such as X1. If you have shorter lenses fitted, shorter than 75/90, then it will carry 2xM plus one or two more lenses; all in main compartment.

I like Billingham bags - they are fantastic bags and are not well known by the masses as camera bags; they look more like some sort of premium hand luggage. My Hadley Pro is my daily carry bag for a small kit consisting of one M camera, one or two lenses, a lightmeter and a minimim amount of photo trinkets.

I really like the ONA bags ONA | DSLR Camera and Laptop Bag | Waxed Canvas Messenger Bag - I may end up getting one, even though I don't exactly "need" one.

I also like the idea of a Filson briefcase or rucksack with photo inserts. Filson makes outstanding products and they show no hint of being filled with costly M cameras and lenses - and you can get them in a tan color for hot weather.

As most of us, I have a few bags I like for different reasons. The one bag I often reach for is the Black Bag from Photo Village in NYC. They have a newer, larger version, but this older model works well for me and looks like a messenger bag with a nice flap that velcros down plus it has inside, and out of view, clip one must manually unclip to open it if you want use it in conjunction with the Velcro.

It holds my M9 with a lens attached plus room for 2-4 additional lenses if need be on either side of the camera compartment (at least that's the way I have it configured). The shoulder strap is very good, quite wide and never budges from my shoulder.

I often use small, black Lens Baby cases to store lenses in this bag, for added protection on long trips and have found I can even stack 2 Lens Baby lens cases on top of each other inside this case for those nice small Leica lenses, but not for the latest bigger 21 & 24 mm 1.4 lenses or for the latest lenses with those new lens hoods. Zeiss lenses also work well in these Lens Baby cases, at least the 25, 35, 50 1.5.

It has an exterior weather proof, at least in rain, zipper compartment and also a zipper compartment inside which I use for extra batteries and SD cards.

Edited by algrove