Perfect bag for a rangefinder kit!

Sounds like we all have "perfect" and "fantastic" bags which are not the same. For me it's an old little K & H and a later A & A "Penn's Pad & Pencil Satchel"... Snobish no? :D

We do indeed!! I was using a Fogg B-laika beforehand and loved teh bag - it was just a little too small which meant I had to use a Fogg Zither pouch with it too. With the Retrospective I can fit all I need into it and it's supremely comfortable, elegant and yet doesn't attract attention.

It's the perfect bag....until the next one?!

Guest WPalank

If anyone is interested there is a Pinestone 5 on the shelf (I got the black one) at Bear Images on Lambert St., Palo Alto, CA. I have no idea what their shipping policy is.

I'm not a bag fetishist but I needed something to carry my M9 plus a couple of lenses. I was in a "Best Buy" and saw this for $59.

I cannot find any fault with it, it suits my purpose.

Best Buy - SwissGear ZINC Messenger Digital SLR Camera Bag - Black customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

SwissGear - ZINC Messenger Digital SLR Camera Bag - Black - GA-7866-02F00

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmmmm, somebody asked what´s wrong with a Loewe pro, the answer is quite simple. Just walk

around with a Loewe "pro" on a rainy day. I had that experience once, the bag was damp inside

in the evening. So the bag went into the bin and I happily returned to my Peli case.

No more soft bags, never again, no more compromise as far as camera protection from all kinds of

impact is concerned. I know a case isn´t that easy to handle like a bag, no "open it while hanging

around one´s shoulder", but for shock and all kinds of wheather protection nothing can beat a case.

Pelis have no strap but it´s easy to fit one to the case. Then you have an air save case, can throw it

into a river, expose it to heavy rainfall or dust or whatever, nothing will get to the camera.

Someone once said a Peli or any case can get damp inside in tropical areas, that is nonsens because

for some reason one has to open the case many times so it won´t become damp inside, it has

never happened to me.

Bags are something for going shopping...

Cheers

Jo

... I cannot find any fault with it, it suits my purpose....

SwissGear - ZINC Messenger Digital SLR Camera Bag - Black - GA-7866-02F00

Agree. Nice bag. Checked it out and bought it today. Any idea what those two plastic-surrounded slots are? Just decoration?

My favorite day-bag was designed by Leica USA Sales Manager Steve Smith in the and 80's and made for Leica by Domke. Rounded shape and a little smaller in dimensions than the ZINC, but with more usable pockets. Perfect for an M with 5 lenses.

Likewise I have just purchased another "perfect bag" the The PacSafe 200.

This bag holds my M9 with any of my four lenses attached and my other three lenses and a Hoodman loupe with room to spear in the well padded main compartment. With plenty of additional pockets and compartments for other gear and accessories. At the same time it has a slashproof strap, lockable zippered compartments, anchor lock and eXomesh slashguard. It is about the same size as the A&A 7100 but just works better. It easy to work from and carry with the added security benefits. The website is: Pacsafe Anti-theft Travel Bags and Accessories.

Bob

The PacSafe 200.

Couple of questions...

Do you add an insert to the main compartment to separate gear?

The ballistic nylon would seem water resistant, but will the zippers keep out the rain?

The site speaks mainly to the anti-theft features, but nothing about weather security.

Jeff

There are too many bag threads... but I read them all.

My perfect bag seems to change a lot.

I used the Billingham L-2 for years. I found it great for a couple rangefinders with lenses on them and an additional lens or two plus film. I used it on a recent trip through China and it worked great. I thought I was happy.

Then I got an M9 and things didn't fit in the bag the same, and I started to look.

I also have the small Hadley. I used it for my note book for years and am impressed with how it holds up. So I loaded it up with the M9 down the middle and two lenses stacked on each end. Seems to work fine but there's not really any room for a second camera body and the film it would need.

I also have an old Domke F3. It has end pockets that each hold one lens, plus the camera and a few lenses inside. It's a nice option to.

Finally is the Billingham Digital Hadley. I can slide two lenses and the M9 in this case and be out the door. It's a great option if I don't want to carry all five lenses... but then why did I buy them if I don't plan to use them.... back to the Hadley Small.

-rob

Couple of questions...

Do you add an insert to the main compartment to separate gear?

The ballistic nylon would seem water resistant, but will the zippers keep out the rain?

The site speaks mainly to the anti-theft features, but nothing about weather security.

Jeff

Jeff:

You are correct the bag is water resistant only. The front compartment zipper is covered by a large flap. The main compartment zipper is protected by a flap that runs around the cover. So I think they should be well protected. The bag comes with one movable divider. I added two more from an old bag to separate the lenses. An insert might be over kill. It is deep enough to also store items below the camera and lenses. I will be testing this bag very soon on a road trip and will report back.

Bob

• Like 1