Perfect bag for a rangefinder kit!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well number one thing is insure everything that you feel you could not replace out of pocket a second time.

Stuff like filters, batteries who cares, but if you have a M9 or S2, MP or a Noctilux or any other pricey lens or camera Insure it. Bad guys don't care, they will just take it from you while you stare down a barrel of a 45 caliber.

Remember people see you take pictures and may even follow you to get a chance to take what they want.

If you worry about stuff you will never use it or wear it out.

Just my 2 cents

Get a concealed weapons permit and a 0.45 with double row mag.

Noel

Well number one thing is insure everything that you feel you could not replace out of pocket a second time.

+1

Amazing to me when folks don't do this. The rider to my home policy covers over $22,000 in photo gear, with no deductible, full replacement value, and covers all circumstances (including my own stupidity for loss or damage)....all for a measly few hundred dollars a year. Of course I use reasonable precautions, but this is the only way to get full peace of mind.

Jeff

Do the 200 pacsafe, tad more room.

Cheers

I've bene looking at them online and there are several models in the Pacsafe 200; eg Camsafe, Citysafe and a few others. The Citysafe appeals because it doesn't look like a camera bag, it will carry my other stuff and a water bottle and umbrelal in teh small side pockets. Which model do you use?

I've bene looking at them online and there are several models in the Pacsafe 200; eg Camsafe, Citysafe and a few others. The Citysafe appeals because it doesn't look like a camera bag, it will carry my other stuff and a water bottle and umbrelal in teh small side pockets. Which model do you use?

There three sizes of the Citysafes bags. Some of these would hold more than the 200 Camsafe bag because there larger.

I have two Camsafe 200 bags and a 100 Camesafe.

100 is empty right now and the one 200 holds my M9 with 50 lux and a Zeiss Biogon 21mm. You can use a lens double ring to carry more lenses and buy a Billingham divider.

The other 200 has a GH2 with 14-45 and a 45-200 and 100-300 and a Voighlander 25mm f/.095 Nocton.

Selling the 45-200mm in favor of the 100-300mm - (200-600mm) on a micro 4/3rds body.

Camera bags, there is no perfect bag and I have gone threw ( bought, sold, wore out ) so many in 45 years I can't count them all.

Good Luck on you hunt for a Camera bag you like.

Jan

All this pacsafe stuff looks like nanny overkill to me. I can imagine it is targeted at a specific demographic... Whilst your camera is contained in a flexible budgie cage you are not taking pictures. And as to the strap that enables you to be dragged to your mangled, bloody death behind a Neopolitan scooter... :rolleyes:

Be safe

Be aware of your surroundings

Insure.

Don't be afraid of your own shadow.

Regards,

Bill

+1

Amazing to me when folks don't do this. The rider to my home policy covers over $22,000 in photo gear, with no deductible, full replacement value, and covers all circumstances (including my own stupidity for loss or damage)....all for a measly few hundred dollars a year. Of course I use reasonable precautions, but this is the only way to get full peace of mind.

Jeff

Yes it is a must have item for any Leica camera bag LOL - insurance.

I down sized one day after looking at my insurance form sold everything that I did not use on a regular basis and never looked back. Had lenses that I only used maybe once in 2 years sold them. Much happier and get more use out of my gear.

Jan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All this pacsafe stuff looks like nanny overkill to me. I can imagine it is targeted at a specific demographic... Whilst your camera is contained in a flexible budgie cage you are not taking pictures. And as to the strap that enables you to be dragged to your mangled, bloody death behind a Neopolitan scooter... :rolleyes:

Be safe

Insure.

Regards,

Bill

Pacsafe bags let you lock the bag closed with a combination lock and it lock to anything, so lets say just for a example you are eating lunch you can lock the bag to the table and not worry about some slick kid taking it when you are busy talking about you morning of picture taking with family and friends or dripping the whip in the bathroom. LOL

It is very easy to get distracted when you are having fun or busy.

And yes if I was 95 pounds wet then maybe a bag with a breakaway strap would be better than getting dragged around. Or have the thunder 5 revolver under you shirt.

Thunder 5 - .410/ .45lc revolver.

Jan

Edited by leicanut2
add

Be safe

Insure.

Regards,

Bill

Maybe but three people I know have had, either their bags or items stolen from, their bags in the last year. Perhaps the Pacsafe might have prevented this. But in my case I am sometimes carrying other items and I want a bag that has more flexibility than a photo bag.

Hmmmm, somebody asked what´s wrong with a Loewe pro, the answer is quite simple. Just walk

around with a Loewe "pro" on a rainy day. I had that experience once, the bag was damp inside

in the evening. So the bag went into the bin and I happily returned to my Peli case.

No more soft bags, never again, no more compromise as far as camera protection from all kinds of

impact is concerned. I know a case isn´t that easy to handle like a bag, no "open it while hanging

around one´s shoulder", but for shock and all kinds of wheather protection nothing can beat a case.

Pelis have no strap but it´s easy to fit one to the case. Then you have an air save case, can throw it

into a river, expose it to heavy rainfall or dust or whatever, nothing will get to the camera.

Someone once said a Peli or any case can get damp inside in tropical areas, that is nonsens because

for some reason one has to open the case many times so it won´t become damp inside, it has

never happened to me.

Bags are something for going shopping...

Cheers

Check this Pelican case out.

Shutterbug: New Pelican Case With Unique Top-Loading Design

Cheers

That is just the bag I want to carry around when I am walking the streets of the city :D :D :D

I bet I would have more bruises on me than a prize fighter with that thing bouncing around. Lol

But it is water proof. Would be good for a trip to the rain forest - maybe, maybe not ?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Although discussions regarding camera bags seem to arouse the ire of some forum members, I don’t see any problem in having another discussion on the subject. New designs keep appearing on the market, so earlier threads will have become dated.

For the last 12 years I have used a Domke F6, configured either with two cameras and a two-cell section used to carry lenses, or a single camera plus a four-cell unit for additional lenses. One really useful feature is the full-width rear pocket. It’s a great temporary storage place for stuff such as lens caps, street maps, a notebook and pen, and so on.

Although the bag proved eminently practical, and has served me well for 12 years, I was disappointed by its quality. In recent years the non-slip rubber woven into the strap has gradually crumbled away, and in the last year the edges of the strap have begun to fray.

Cataract currently makes a rangefinder camera hard to use, so I recently acquired a second-hand Digilux 3 which I carry in a Billingham Hadley Small. (I’ve used a Hadley Pro as a briefcase for several years.) In terms of quality, the Billingham is in a different class to the Domke – it’s like comparing a Rolls-Royce with a Fiat 500.

I just wish I could still buy a khaki canvas Billingham Original. It would be a much more practical camera bag than the Pro. That top-mounted handle is a useful feature for a briefcase, but just gets in the way when the Pro is used as a shoulder-carried camera bag.

Best regards,

Doug

When I can design the "perfect" bag for a rangefinder, I'll make a fortune.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of the Think Tank Retro 5 and was wondering how well it would thwart off curious fingers. How secure is it? Is the velcro enough?

The basic problem is defining what a rangfinder kit is. One lens, two lens, three lens, twelve lens kit. A Lux kit is different from a Elmar kit. Flash, no flash, sf24 or sf58.

All these kits have different requirements. I have different bags for each of these kits. All of them perfect, until I change my kit...

• Like 1

Two months on, I have had good use out of my Monochrom <dothebag> Mono_9. On a recent trip to Sydney, I took two M bodies, 4 lenses, iPad and other bits and pieces. Perfect. just looks like a messenger bag.

For more rugged outings, I use my Billingham Combination - 1 body with 2 spare lenses. Seems to be a perfect set up.

Cheers

John