I love my M4

Hello Nobbylon,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you say the M4 is the last hand fitted M range/viewfinder "M" film camera you are correct chronologically altho not numerically sequentially.

The M5 was the last hand fitted range/viewfinder "M" film camera numerically sequentially.

The M4 began production before the M5. Production of M4's was halted during M5 production. Some M4's were produced after M5 production was stopped.

By the way, that is a nice early 6 element 50mm Summicron in a first mechanical version mount.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Michael is right. I'm looking for a good M5 so I can personally experience it.

What about batteries for the M5?

C.R.I.S. Battery adapters.  they alow the use of modern silver oxide batteries in cameras designed for mercury cells.  They offer several types and you can order them with or without a battery to start with.  Good luck with your search for a M5.

• Like 1

Michael,

I joined in jan 2007 but usually hang out over at RFF. 

Must admit I'd forgotten the M5 but I've never had an interest in them. An M to me is a 2,3,4,6,7,MP,M-A

A Wetzlar M4 with it's old vulcanite and all brass bits and bobs is to me the last of the original Leica cameras. I'm also very fond of the original M6 however I'm leaning more toward another M9 so I'm selling some of my film Leicas and going to use digi Leica for 2016. To be honest I'm fed up with scanning!

Correct, the lens is one of around 200 built in the first batch of 1968 with the scalloped focus ring. Leica sent me an email confirming it's authenticity from their records. I aquired it about 7 years ago along with a 3 element Elmar 90.

regards Nobs

Edited by nobbylon
  • Like 1

Cracking setup, John. We should get some local shooters together this year.

br

Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks I like it myself. I'd like to add a v3 Summicron 35 at some point.

I tried last year for a meet but it got busy and time just disappeared as always. Let's keep it in mind and you or I could do an invite toward spring. I'm away for the rest of this month but Feb' let's get organised for a Sunday lunch with a few of us,

best regards john

Edited by nobbylon
  • Like 1

I know, time literally flies sometimes. Sounds like a plan John.

best

Philip

Hi Philip,
Thanks I like it myself. I'd like to add a v3 Summicron 35 at some point.
I tried last year for a meet but it got busy and time just disappeared as always. Let's keep it in mind and you or I could do an invite toward spring. I'm away for the rest of this month but Feb' let's get organised for a Sunday lunch with a few of us,
best regards john

• 1 month later...

I just recently found a superb example of the M4 and couldn't pass it up. It appears to have been used little, very little. In fact, I found no traces of any marks at all across the film plane to include the pressure plate and the cosmetics could hardly be much better. I put a roll of FP-4 through it the first day I got it and was not disappointed.

24683288303_ea73437151_c.jpg_1DF4382a by David Fincher, on Flickr

25446127265_cc27fc10ee_c.jpg_1DF4393a by David Fincher, on Flickr

• Like 7

Very nice! I bought my M4 in 1968 as I was getting out of college, when it was the new model and the M3 and M2 were still available new. I liked the M4 better then, and still do. Mine is no longer pristine - but you have to look close to see the character spots. Finally had it serviced a few years ago, and it's still a joy to use, with its original 50 & 35 Summicrons and 90 TE.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hankering after a black chrome M-A, as my last film M, ever since the M-A was announced, but I ended up securing a mint black chrome M4 from Red Dot Cameras, for less than half the price of an M-A. Grippy vulcanite, a self-timer, and crisp white engraving on the top plate. The thing looks and feels like new.

• Like 2

Photo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

And the top view.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Unbelievably nice!! Congrats!!!

if I'm not mistaken you have another advantage above the M-A and that is the recessed glasses of the viewfinder at the front, which protects against fingerprints on it,  that you have to clean not seldom since the M6 or so, to keep a clear view.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Thank you, Otto. And yes, you're right. The modern M's, with their flush viewfinder glass, are magnets for fingerprints. The M3, I believe, with its raised bezels, is the best for keeping stray fingers away from the windows.

• Like 1