LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I picked up a Komura 2x extender

Dear Doug,

I tried the Komura 2X some years ago. I liked the idea, but in reality it did not maintain the quality of the Leica lens. In fact even Leica's own first extender was not very good. Mine went back to Wetzlar and when quality did not improve Leitz very kindly exchanged it for a new one. The second one was no better and was sold. Today I have the APO-Extender and it does maintain the quality of the prime lens.

Hoping your Komura is better than the one I had.

Justin

• 1 month later...
Leica IId ? What is it ?

This is a Leica Type II model D

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm joining the crowd - a clean If RD is on the way!

Now I'm agonizing over what lens and finder to get - a 5cm Elmar and SBOOI, a 3.5cm Summaron and SBLOO, or...?

It depends...

- Have you already other LTM lenses ? If you don't, is IMPOSSIBLE not to have an Elmar...:) The base of any Leica collector is a LTM body + Elmar 5 cm, cannot escape...

- Do you plan to use it ? If has not rangefinder... the more DOF of a 3,5 cm is something useful.

- So the answer is simple : BOTH ! They do not cost too much... and for esthetics is better to find a Summaron 1st type, A36 filter.

- SBLOO is an excellent VF, SBOOI is nicer :)

It depends...

- Have you already other LTM lenses ? If you don't, is IMPOSSIBLE not to have an Elmar...:) The base of any Leica collector is a LTM body + Elmar 5 cm, cannot escape...

- Do you plan to use it ? If has not rangefinder... the more DOF of a 3,5 cm is something useful.

- So the answer is simple : BOTH ! They do not cost too much... and for esthetics is better to find a Summaron 1st type, A36 filter.

- SBLOO is an excellent VF, SBOOI is nicer :)

I couldn't agree more.

I bought my IIIc with a 3.5cm and no viewfinder. I used it like that for a couple of rolls, just to get used to it. A 5cm collapsible Summitar was next, but although lovely is a bit on the bulky side. Then James Earley sold me his 5cm Elmar and I have never looked back.

I'm about to travel to Singapore and Hanoi, and I have packed my IIIc, the 5cm Elmar and VC 15mm, 35mm 2.5 and 75mm. I am leaving at home the 3.5cm, the Summitar and a 90mm Elmar. All the VC lenses were already in my possession for my M7.

As an aside, I have always used back to back couplers with my M lenses. I was regretting that I didn't have something similar for the LTMs then I realised I have... I am taking the 35 and 75 with their respective m-mounts, in a b2b... :D

For the record. I am also taking my Olympus e-400 with the Panasonic 25 and Leica R 180 3.4.

I'll be sure to post some holiday snaps when I return...;)

Regards,

Bill

Luigi, Bill - thank you!

Yes, this will be a user. Hopefully this can become my daily carry camera, or at least a frequent alternate. I have no Leitz LTM lenses, just a few C-Vs that I use on my Ms and a 50 on my Zorki 1.

Luigi, you bring up a major factor in my consideration - the relative ease of properly focusing the 3.5cm over the 5cm with no rangefinder. My daily carry for a number of years was a Retina Ia with a 50, but I prefer 35 for everyday use when I can.

Decisions, decisions! I suspect I'll end up with both, so it may come down to what I find for sale when.

I'm joining the crowd - a clean If RD is on the way!

Now I'm agonizing over what lens and finder to get - a 5cm Elmar and SBOOI, a 3.5cm Summaron and SBLOO, or...?

I went through the same decision process a couple of months ago and opted to get the Elmar. I've been extremely pleased with the results from it. I just added a CV 50/1.5 Nokton to cover low light situations.

Speaking of CV, the LTM 35/2.5 is a winner as well.

Regards

Ken

Luigi, Bill - thank you!

Yes, this will be a user. Hopefully this can become my daily carry camera, or at least a frequent alternate. I have no Leitz LTM lenses, just a few C-Vs that I use on my Ms and a 50 on my Zorki 1.

Luigi, you bring up a major factor in my consideration - the relative ease of properly focusing the 3.5cm over the 5cm with no rangefinder. My daily carry for a number of years was a Retina Ia with a 50, but I prefer 35 for everyday use when I can.

Decisions, decisions! I suspect I'll end up with both, so it may come down to what I find for sale when.

a final suggestion... sorry for insistence but LTM lenses are delicious...

- If you prefer 35 for use, find a GOOD Summaron (in Italy, now 250 Euro about, SBLOO excluded)

- And a not-so-fine but unscratched Elmar 5 cm mainly TO HAVE (in Italy, now 150 Euro about for uncoated items).

My father gave me his Leica camera body years ago. Until now I have not had the desire to buy lenses for it and get it working. The serial number is 496722 which I believe makes it a post-war IIIc.

What can you tell me about this camera? What should be the first lens I buy for it?

Thanks so much.

img1258gn2.jpg

My father gave me his Leica camera body years ago. Until now I have not had the desire to buy lenses for it and get it working. The serial number is 496722 which I believe makes it a post-war IIIc.

What can you tell me about this camera? What should be the first lens I buy for it?

Thanks so much.

Enrique,

What you have is indeed a post-WWII Leica IIIc. More specifically, a ‘sharkskin’ IIIc. All screwmount Leicas used vulcanite for body coverings, which was made from tree sap of some trees in Indonesia if I remember correctly. After the war this was difficult to obtain and some early post-war IIIc’s used what is in today’s Leica circles described as sharkskin, due to its rather rough feel to the touch. The IIIc did not come with factory-installed flash synchronisation, your IIIc was modified by an independent mechanic and is flash synchronised (a rather clean installation too!).

Before you buy lenses, have the camera checked out; most Leicas of this vintage, particularly if not used for a long time will need servicing. Shutter curtains might be dry, lubricant might have dried out etc. Once you are sure that the camera is OK, start looking for lenses. If you want to keep the camera historically correct, try to find lenses in the 600,000 to 900,000 serial number range. I would probably start with a 3.5/50mm Elmar standard lens, those can be found relatively cheaply. Or, a 2/50mm Summitar could also be an excellent choice.

Here is a listing of serial numbers with a corresponding year of production:

http://www.forloren.dk/lbf/leica_lens_serial.htm

If historical correctness is not important, you can try the many excellent lenses that were made by Canon during the 1950’s and 60’s. Those are unfortunately, getting rather expensive due to collector demand. Another choice would be the superbly made and in many respect better than the old Leica lenses, available today from Cosina/Voigtlander. The cheapest alternative with surprisingly good image quality would be Russian lenses made for the old Zorki and FED cameras - eBay is full of them.

If you want to find out what other lenses were produced in Leica Thread Mount (LTM), browse this site for information:

http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

Good luck!

Jan

Enrique,

Before you buy lenses, have the camera checked out; most Leicas of this vintage, particularly if not used for a long time will need servicing. Shutter curtains might be dry, lubricant might have dried out etc. Once you are sure that the camera is OK, start looking for lenses. If you want to keep the camera historically correct, try to find lenses in the 600,000 to 900,000 serial number range. I would probably start with a 3.5/50mm Elmar standard lens, those can be found relatively cheaply. Or, a 2/50mm Summitar could also be an excellent choice.

Here is a listing of serial numbers with a corresponding year of production:

http://www.forloren.dk/lbf/leica_lens_serial.htm

If historical correctness is not important, you can try the many excellent lenses that were made by Canon during the 1950’s and 60’s. Those are unfortunately, getting rather expensive due to collector demand. Another choice would be the superbly made and in many respect better than the old Leica lenses, available today from Cosina/Voigtlander. The cheapest alternative with surprisingly good image quality would be Russian lenses made for the old Zorki and FED cameras - eBay is full of them.

If you want to find out what other lenses were produced in Leica Thread Mount (LTM), browse this site for information:

http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

Good luck!

Jan

Enrique/Jan,

I have a late type Summitar (1953) amongst other lenses for my various LTM Leicas. It is in very good condition and was all checked out about 5 years ago. It just does not seem to suit modern colour emulsions very well, although it is excellent on B&W - very sharp from f2.8 down. The colours come out rather primary. My slightly older post-war coated Elmar seems to suit them better. However if you are intending to use this IIIC seriously as a regular camera, I would strongly recommend a new Voigtlander lens. Lens technology has moved on a long way in the 60 years since your camera was made. Your prime choices would be the the 50/1.5 Nokton (I have the 35/1.2 Nokton for my M8 and it is truly excellent) or the 50/2.5 Skopar but for the Skopar you will have to move smartly as they are out of production and only a few new ones left here and there. The CV (Cosina Voigtlander) lenses are unbelievable value for money and couple fully with LTM Leicas. Of course if you are feeling exceptionally rich, Leica released anniversary editions of the LTM Summilux and Summicron in 1999/2000. I doubt if you would find any unsold ones and second ones of these fetch eye-watering amounts of money. They are wonderful though.

Wilson

Jan & Wilson,

Thank you both for you excellent suggestions. This forum is great!

I have taken my IIIc in for a checkup. I'm told the synchronization is off and that the viewfinder lense may need replacement. I'm considering sending the camera to Leica instead of letting my local camera repairman fix it. I'm concerned more about the expense than the time it would take to ship back and forth from Texas to Germany. How much should I expect to pay for a typical repair of the type described so far?

cheers

enrique

Enrique,

I am faily certain that Leica (Germany or US) does not repair screwmount Leicas anymore. Since you are in the US, here are a couple of highly recommended Leica technicians:

Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.***

and

DAG Camera Parts

As so cost estimate - contact either Sherry Krauter or Dan Goldberg. Both should be able to advise you as to cost.

Best,

Jan

I use a Leica IIIa (1936) and a Summar (1937). I bought the camera from Budapest, Hungary last year with a fake Zeiss Sonnar 5cm. I replaced the "Sonnar" with a real Leica lens because it just felt right... I must admit that the "Sonnar" was a better lens optically. That doesn´t matter, for techically even higher quality shots i can always use my Nikkor S.C. 5cm/1.4 (but which i rather use on my M3 than IIIa) :)

Niko

Enrique,

I am faily certain that Leica (Germany or US) does not repair screwmount Leicas anymore. Since you are in the US, here are a couple of highly recommended Leica technicians:

Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.***

and

DAG Camera Parts

As so cost estimate - contact either Sherry Krauter or Dan Goldberg. Both should be able to advise you as to cost.

Best,

Jan

Dear Jan,

Leica Camera AG does service 'post-war' screw-thread cameras; They gave my IIf a complete CLA and an excellent job it was. In fact it was done to compare LC AG with Don and Malcolm Taylor in England. A friend sent his IIIf to Don, another sent his IIIf to Malcolm Taylor and my IIf went to Germany. They all were returned in beautiful running condition but subjectively we all felt the camera serviced by Don Goldberg was the sweetest. That may be a bit unfair on the others as the original camera may have had more use whereby everything meshed more sweetly. My IIf had never had a film through it! I also highly recommend Sherry. She rebuilt an M2 for me recently and it came back better than new if that is possible. It is certainly nicer than my M7 à la wheel-barrow.

Kind regards,

Justin