LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I meant to attach this with the previous post :o
  • Like 1

Ivan, I'll echo James' welcome.

I'm very interested to see your results; I like your work and it will be interesting to see if your "style" changes because of your use of the Barnack. I certainly found that mine did, and that change translated back into my use of my Ms.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

Have you got it and tried it yet?

Hi Philippe,

Yes. :D

This in Seville, at the Plaza Espana:

2351223466_3d0d4023b8_b.jpg

And this in Guildford - it's a detail on a building in the High Street. Both shots with M7 .85:

2321116769_96823b3619_b.jpg

I like this lens - I managed to get a mint one, black. late model. Results are sharp and contrasty. I've bought a 48-49mm step-up ring and a metal hood from Heavystar, but the hood is not strictly necessary in normal shooting.

The one thing I hate is that the barrel rotates when trying to set the aperture - irritating!

But given that I paid £35 for it I'm really not complaining :D

Regards,

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a play with a Mint Reid this afternoon, with a Mint Taylor-Whatsit collapsible 50mm on the front.

What a beautiful thing.

Completely impractical, of course, with those two daft little viewfinder things, and at least one too many speed dials ( :) ), but a joy to handle and, dare I say it, fondle. The smoothness of the wind-on and the soft click of the shutter were fantastic.

It is my new friend Ivan's personal one that he just has in his display cabinet in the shop and he reckons that these Reids were the very best LTM cameras ever made.

I had a play with a Mint Reid this afternoon, with a Mint Taylor-Whatsit collapsible 50mm on the front.

What a beautiful thing.

Completely impractical, of course, with those two daft little viewfinder things, and at least one too many speed dials ( :) ), but a joy to handle and, dare I say it, fondle. The smoothness of the wind-on and the soft click of the shutter were fantastic.

It is my new friend Ivan's personal one that he just has in his display cabinet in the shop and he reckons that these Reids were the very best LTM cameras ever made.

Resistance is futile...

You know you want it.

It is sitting in the shop right now...

Listen...

"Andy, Andy... why did you put me down...? Don't you want me...? Would I not be a challenge to you...? Would you not feel better for having me...?"

Hear the siren call of the Barnack. Marvel at it's small size, it's jewel-like engineering, it's je ne sais quoi.

Faint at the price.

G'wan.

G'wan g'wan g'wan...

G'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan....

:D

Regards,

Bill

What a beautiful thing.

I part exchanged my Reid and Sigrist II in I would guess 1964 for a Mamiya SLR. I think I got about £12 to £15 for it - ouch. My father bought it secondhand as a birthday present for me in 1959, when I was angling for one of his Leicas. He bought it from Reid's of Haslemere, who claimed to be some relation of Reid of R&S. It was one of the ones with a factory alteration to add two flash sync sockets. At the time an SLR was much sexier than an RF.

Wilson

Ivan, I'll echo James' welcome.

I'm very interested to see your results; I like your work and it will be interesting to see if your "style" changes because of your use of the Barnack. I certainly found that mine did, and that change translated back into my use of my Ms.

Regards,

Bill

Bill...Thankyou.

I'm curious about that too, but it's still early to say....

..as I still have to figure out how this thing works :o

:)

I have a (broken) II / D and a nice/pretty IIIf BD -- which I am of course very proud of but have never loaded, much less actually shot a roll through.

I have put these things down on my list of must-do-this-season-or-anyway-pretty-soon items, but am so far so taken with my relatively new R8 that the other learning curve for a Leica thread mount has up to now swamped my fotographic boat (raft).

There's no shortcut to experience, &c&c, as we all well know, but LTMs are or once were simple in a classic sort of way and it would be helpful if the forum would come up with a step-by-step FAQ page by the Tribe Elders/Old Hands Who Know for getting up to (relative) speed on LTMs so that interested novices might spend (relatively) less time pondering general mysteries & lost arts & fiddling and more time effectively fondling & shooting. But maybe this already exists someplace.

Anyway, everyone's LTM fotos are a pleasure to peruse. Leicas of just about any kind are beautiful things.

Olaf, they are beautiful. I'm particularly intrigued by your II - mine is a IID, from 1934, but was originally a 1930 Standard. Is that Elmar with the 11o'clock infinity lock original with the body?

Regards,

Bill