LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a tad late signing up, but here goes: I have a lll and a lllf Red Dial with 50mm Summar (uncoated), 50mm f3.5 Elmar, Summitar, 35mm f3.5 Summaron, 90mm Elmar, 135mm Hektor (all coated) and a pre-war uncoated 90mm Elmar. (And a few lenses from the USSR.)

For some reason I prefer the lll to the iiif, and my one-only lens of choice would be the 50mm Elmar, closely followed by the Summar.

I use many of these lenses also on my M2.

Ted.

Hello All,

John here a newbie to this great forum:) I have just discovered the delights of a Leica 111b with a 50mm Elmar 2.8 lens, the first of many I hope:) such a beautiful feel to it.

Due to disability I can only use one and a bit hands but find my 111b easier to load than an ordinary manual camera; I do trim the leader though. Never understood why people think loading is so difficult:)

Just put a post in the customer section asking Leica to bring out a black limited edition LTM in a numbered presentation box. Especially with their new capability, I am sure the could make a better job of it than Nikon did with the S3:). It would be a fitting tribute to one of the greatest series of cameras ever made.

Keep up the good work.

Blessings,

John W

Just put a post in the customer section asking Leica to bring out a black limited edition LTM in a numbered presentation box. Especially with their new capability, I am sure the could make a better job of it than Nikon did with the S3:). It would be a fitting tribute to one of the greatest series of cameras ever made.

Welcome John. Nice suggestion, which Leica did with the Model I. It was never really succesful even though of superb quality. I suspect it was better than the original due to modern machining, however it just didn't have the feel somwhow, and was not a great success. They languishing on dealer's shelves for a long while.

It may be the same as collectible cars where replicas again never feel and drive like the real thing and certainly command a third or less of the original's price.

I have a very early Model I which I wouldn't swap for a new Model I. The IIIb was the apotheosis of the short based screw-thread cameras and fortunately there were 32,705 made.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Hektor,

Understood, I never though of it that way. Thank you for the welcome and your lovely pictures. Although I have used lots of cameras I am down to one at the moment! So I can't give you a picture of my battered 111b yet:-). I have used many cameras including M's, but they do not have the feel of LTMS to me; I like being slowed down:-). My photography is about fun; when I buy another camera it will be an LTM; a slippery slope indeed:-).

Cheers,

John W

Hi there! I'm brand new on this site, although I've been reading lots of the posts! I've just bought the 1937 Leica II shown below, and I can't wait to get out and use it (this is no collectors camera!)...

2086264779_f95e956ef4.jpg

Cheers,

David Vickers.

-----------------------------------

David Vickers Photography: Environmental Portraiture.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome to the forum John & David.

Your camera shouldn't be a collectors item David, much better that it is used! What lens are you going to use with it?

As for a new replica LTM I think the model Leica produced didn't fly off the shelves because it was a version of the earliest camera - no rangefinder and fiddly to use (having to cap the lens when winding on etc) but a 'new' lllf would be very interesting.

But for me I also like the 'feel' and patina of an old camera and marvel at its quality of construction that it still works perfectly today, and the image quality that you get from the older lenses, although I still say that Leica shouldn't abandon all of us LTM users and produce at least a new 50mm in LTM mount (maybe the otherwise soon to be discontinued 2.8 Elmar?).

Welcome to the forum John & David.

Your camera shouldn't be a collectors item David, much better that it is used! What lens are you going to use with it?

Hmmm, this is where I run in to 'problems'. Currently, I've only got the Industar-26 from my Fed-2 camera (and here I think I got lucky, mine is brilliant!). So, until I learn a bit more about the Leica lenses I'll be using that.

What would be a good lens to go with a '37 Leica II anyway? I guess I'd be quite keen to go with an uncoated lens. To be honest, I know very little about the lenses - but I've wanted a Leica for YEARS! I've got a Digilux 1, but that doesn't count ;-)

Cheers,

David.

-------------------------------

David Vickers Photography: Environmental Portraiture.

New to the forum, new to Leica, and new to RF in general. I decided to return to film and wanted a rangefinder. I picked up a IIIF with a Summitar. I think I am off to a decent start. I forgot what it was like not having instant feedback--sometimes a surprise is waiting in the roll. I didn''t have the shade at the time I shot the second pic.

• 1 month later...

As if the IIIa wasn't enough... earlier this week, a couple traded in a WW2 IIIc with a circa 1957 collapsible 50mm Summicron, case, cap, lens shade, and contrast filter for the rangefinder. The chrome, vulcanite, viewfinder, shutter, are immaculate and the lens has no haze and only very light cleaning marks. I traded my Nikon F2 with a 55mm 1.2 straight across for this kit...uh-mazin'!

there you go:

here is my Leica III with WINTU,

my Leica IIIa with Sumar

there are still some more cameras, check progress on my homepage: the leicapages

OLAF

• Like 1

My LTM's;

Leica 1 (E) + Elmar 50/3.5 Chrome

Leica II (D) Black + Elmar 50/3.5 Nickel

Leica IIIa (G) + VC 35/2.5 Pancake + Leica 35 finder

Leica IIIc + VC 28/3.5 + Leica 28 finder

Leica IIIf + collapsable Cron 50/2 + leica 50 finder

Leica IIIg + 1999 Cron 35/2 + VC 28/35 finder

....My favorite kit is my IIIa + 35Pancake:

Alan