LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello! I'm new here, but not new to "schraubers". My grandfather bought a IIIc in 1947 and took beautiful photos all over Europe. He was stationed in Paris right after the war. As a child, I would take out his kit and oogle over it: can't remember now exactly what all he had, but I do remember clearly he had a 5cm Summitar and a 90mm Canon lens but he had a lot more with it. He gave that camera to my cousin who was a photographer, but I was offered it first. To me it seemed natural that my cousin should have it, and of course, he immediately sold it (!). So I've wanted one for years.

For Christmas, my wife gave me an X100, and I couldn't get over how much it reminded me of that old IIIc, so I ebay'd up and got two IIIfs. One is at Leica right now getting worked over, and the other will go there too once the first one comes back. They came with the little Leica meter 3, which seems to be pretty darned accurate. My first roll of film comes back tomorrow, I can hardly wait.

I've got big plans, I have a VIOOH on the way (got a really good deal on it) and am about to close a deal on a 3.5cm Summaron. Now I'm torn about lenses; I have a Summitar than needs some repair, and the trusty little 5cm Elmar f3.5 that I've been taking pictures with, and I'm thinking about a Summarit or Summicron, but just can't decide. I love the old screw mounts, wouldn't mind a modern digital or the "M" series, but there's just something pure about the screw mounts.

It's probably nothing special here with all these beautiful schraubers' but here's mine anyway:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Got my roll back today. I am 100% unpracticed. Although I have owned "auto" SLRs (in the 80's and 90's), I've never shot pure manual rangefinders, so please no criticism on the photos, but let's just say it's the shooter (I will improve). The roll I took were just snapshots and the scans are hasty "slap 'em on the glass" jobs Next time I'll have them done digitally too, but until I knew my IIIf worked okay, didn't want to waste the money The originals are amazing. Unbelievable images for a 59 year old camera. I know it is capable of better, now it's up to me. Not sure I'm going back to digital, I've got the bug, now. Closed the deal on a 3.5cm Summaron today after I got my roll back, all I can say is "wow".

• Like 3

Shortly after the Leica II was introduced in 1932 Leica produced a chromium-plated version codenamed Lykupchrom. It sold at a small premium over the black enamelled camera and the finish was said to be harder wearing and more suited to tropical climates. Not many buyers can have seen the point in splashing out the extra £1. 4s though as far fewer were sold than the black finish cameras.

This camera had the rounded "lavatory seat" housing of the first model II, the larger speed dial and differed in other minor respects to the updated chrome Model II introduced alongside the III with slow speeds the following year. Later of course chrome became the standard finish for all the screw thread Leicas but this first model must be quite a rare camera.

I was recently lucky enough to find a nice clean example and wonder how many others are out there. Unfortunately at some point in its history someone has replaced the original 16mm speed dial of the early Model II with the 13.5mm 20-1 version of the later II and III which I soon I hope to rectify. (If anyone has a correct speed dial they would like to sell, trade or exchange or can suggest someone who might I would be very interested to hear from them.)

I think this is my favourite model Leica rangefinder - clean, simple, easily pocketable and still eminently usable. If it was good enough for Wilfrid Thesiger it's good enough for me. Simon

8635603142_cd3f269c7d_b.jpg

LIIa1 by debrux2010, on Flickr

8635528358_31e572b70a_b.jpg

LII2 by debrux2010, on Flickr

• Like 5

I think this is my favourite model Leica rangefinder - clean, simple, easily pocketable and still eminently usable. If it was good enough for Wilfrid Thesiger it's good enough for me. Simon

However, Wilfred Thesiger really didn't have an option! The Leica was the 'only' 35mm camera at the time.

Nice camera Simon. Don't forget to also find the cover for the shutter release. They were removed to fit a cable release, and frequently lost. Try Malcolm Taylor for the parts you are seeking.

Have fun,

Justin

However, Wilfred Thesiger really didn't have an option! The Leica was the 'only' 35mm camera at the time.

Nice camera Simon. Don't forget to also find the cover for the shutter release. They were removed to fit a cable release, and frequently lost. Try Malcolm Taylor for the parts you are seeking.

Have fun,

Justin

Justin,

He could have used a Contax. Only a little bit larger but at the time, had a more accurate rangefinder than Leica and better range of lenses. The major downside of the early Contax was its fragility, mainly due to an excessively complicated shutter mechanism.

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Accepting that one can't really rely on anything posted on the internet, there's quite a bit suggesting he used Leicas but also other cameras.

Pitt Rivers Museum - Thesiger exhibition

Wilfred Thesiger: The Last of the Great Explorers - Lomography

Wilfred Thesiger, Al Jahiri Fort, Al Ain | ahlearninglog

The Thesiger comment was tongue in cheek but at the time the Leica II would have been the best camera for the environment he was operating in. Fast lenses are unlikely to have been a necessity in the desert though reliability, ruggedness and a light weight would have been. My camera is on its way to Malcolm for a service as I intend to use it. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

But Wilfred Thesiger "upgraded" to an M3 :D

In the book "Wilfred Thesiger in Africa" Wilfred Thesiger in Africa: Amazon.co.uk: Alexander Maitland, Christopher Morton, Philip N. Grover: Books

is a reference to an invoice from Sinclair's allowing £65 for a Leica IIIb and 50mm Lens in part exchange for an M3 deducted from the total due £118 5s 6d, Chapter 2 Note 143.

But Wilfred Thesiger "upgraded" to an M3 :D

In the book "Wilfred Thesiger in Africa" Wilfred Thesiger in Africa: Amazon.co.uk: Alexander Maitland, Christopher Morton, Philip N. Grover: Books

is a reference to an invoice from Sinclair's allowing £65 for a Leica IIIb and 50mm Lens in part exchange for an M3 deducted from the total due £118 5s 6d, Chapter 2 Note 143.

There are some of these books for sale new on Amazon very cheaply at the moment. Just ordered one.

Wilson

Justin,

He could have used a Contax. Only a little bit larger but at the time, had a more accurate rangefinder than Leica and better range of lenses. The major downside of the early Contax was its fragility, mainly due to an excessively complicated shutter mechanism.

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

I suspect there was a little brand loyalty, or maybe it was familiarity as the oldest 35mm photographs in the book "Wilfred Thesiger; A Life in Pictures" by Alexander Maitland were taken in 1930. I therefore assume he had a Model I at that time. With the arrival of both the Contax and Leica II in 1932 I imagine Thesiger upgraded. It is a few years since I read the book but I have a vague recollection he ended up with a Leicaflex.

All academic really, as it is the photo that matters.

Sincerely,

Justin

• Like 3

My Leica 1 Model C of 1931 purchased three days ago in Prague.

Given the physical state of the camera I would like to know its history ... It is surely a professional who has used it for years...

Hello comte,

Welcome to the Forum.

The serial number would indicate it is a Model A converted from its original non-user-interchangable lens mount to either the non-standardized interchangable lens mount or to the later standardized interchangable lens mount. These were regular conversions done on request after the introduction of the intercangable lens mounts.

Non standardized mounts have no marking at 12 o'clock on the front of the mounting flang.

Properly matched lenses will usually have the last 3 digits of the serial number of the camera engraved near the base of their focussing levers.

Standardized mounts have a "o" at 12 o'clock on the front of the mounting flange.

This indicates that the front of the lens mount flange to film plane distance has been standardized to 28.8mm.

Best Regards,

Michael

Here's an "LTM" I got back after two years at a tech. Taken with my 60 Elmarit-R that just came back from a good CLA, mounted on M9 via Japanese R-M adapter and Visoflex. Should be enough info visible to determine the camera model.

• Like 2

Unfortunately at some point in its history someone has replaced the original 16mm speed dial of the early Model II with the 13.5mm 20-1 version of the later II and III which I soon I hope to rectify.

you mean speed dial like this one? No, I do not have spare one. On the camera below upgrade was done at the same time you Leica was produced - shiny chrom coating, lavaory seat.

Tom, what is this!? stepped rewind like wartime IIIc/IIId, but top cover made of 2 parts. And red x on slow spee dial - never saw such.

I was guessing it was a IIID but with a later upgrade to a X synchronisation. I had my father's IIIA upgraded with X and F sync by Wallace Heaton in London in around 1965.

Wilson