LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

I gave up with ABLON’s about 40+ years ago as they were brilliant at hiding themselves or getting lost. Now I just use my father’s technique, which is to slide a shiny, thin, flat visiting or membership card with rounded corners behind the sprocket nearest the cassette. You then slide the film and take up spool behind the card, until it is fully seated at the bottom of the chamber (actually the top when the camera is the right way up). Finally you slide the card out and put the bottom cover back. My father used this method since pre loaded cassettes came out around 1938 and I have used since I got my Reid II Leica copy in 1958, with no curtain damage ever.

Wilson

• Like 1

If the Great Lord Barnack intended us to stick cards in our cameras rest assured there would have been a CARDO accessory instead of an ABLON...

Me, I just cut freehand with the scissors on a Swiss Army knife.

Sent from another Galaxy

The ABLON was designed to help those who used bulk film. Until some time in the late 70's or early 80's all film in canisters came with a long leader.

At some point I guess someone at Fuji or Kodak or Ilford suggested as the number of Leica LTM users was probably quite small they should use a shorter leader to save film (and increase their profits!) and the rest followed suit.

It's very easy to trim yourself a longer leader with a pair of scissors, without need for ABLON's or CARDO's or whatever!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the Great Lord Barnack intended us to stick cards in our cameras rest assured there would have been a CARDO accessory instead of an ABLON...

Me, I just cut freehand with the scissors on a Swiss Army knife.

Sent from another Galaxy

Bill,

You and I have disagreed about this for years. I think we need to agree that you stick to your scissors and I will stick to my National Trust membership card. ABLON is IMHO only necessary for use with bulk film, where the daylight loader cuts the film off at right angles and I would guess is the purpose for which it was originally designed (probably by the great god Barnack :))

Wilson

I had no idea. I spent last Sunday visiting the National Trust's Henry Fox Talbot museum and Lacock Abbey. They even had a wonderful range of photography books on good discount, and I felt welcome to shoot anything in sight, indoors and outdoors, with my Leica If.

I had no idea. I spent last Sunday visiting the National Trust's Henry Fox Talbot museum and Lacock Abbey. They even had a wonderful range of photography books on good discount, and I felt welcome to shoot anything in sight, indoors and outdoors, with my Leica If.

I was just watching Great Railway Journeys on this and thinking I must put it on my “to visit” list.

Wilson

As a recent (the last 12 months) user of a 111f I have been using bulk loaded film. Mostly cutting the leader with scissors (swiss army knife). Last October, in Venice, post Wetzlar One Challenge, I was forced to use my bare hands to tear a workable leader for my Delta 100 to fit the 111f. It looked terrible but worked. The pics did not suffer from the indignity. ;)

(See my sig. below if interested.)

Edited by erl

Things have changed a bit, see below.

Photographic Access | National Trust Images

Dear oh dear. What will the pocket Hitlers find to do with their time now? Last November, when my back was very bad, on a visit to Polesden Lacey, I had to sit down on the wide stairs for a couple minutes to let a muscle spasm subside. A twin set and pearls lady rushed up and said, “you can’t sit there; you must move at once”. She got a spectacular dressing down from my wife, which was warmly applauded by the other visitors :)

Wilson

I think all camera toting (phones an videos incl.) people should be banned from places of touristic interest. I think tour buses and jet planes should also be banned. As a consequence, I could be free to wander in my invisible way to do as I please to any location. (Is there a smiley for dreaming?)

That should scatter the cats and pigeons. :D

I think all camera toting (phones an videos incl.) people should be banned from places of touristic interest. I think tour buses and jet planes should also be banned. As a consequence, I could be free to wander in my invisible way to do as I please to any location. (Is there a smiley for dreaming?)

That should scatter the cats and pigeons. :D

John,

We need the modern equivalent of those fake street signs sold in souvenir shops: Ferrari Parking Only.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

John,

We need the modern equivalent of those fake street signs sold in souvenir shops: Ferrari Parking Only.

Wilson

You mean like Monte Carlo, where I was not welcome in my VW T4 as it is a camper.

Ok to deliver champers in a van version presumably... :-)

Gerry

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have a iiif with Summitar and a 1929 1A with fixed Elmar. The photo was taken this week with the 1A

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Not trying to preempt the poster but, I think the visible grain could easily be an artifact of the scanning process. Of course, I say that without any knowledge of the dev and film, which could easily be responsible as well. Either way, still an impressive technical achievement by the camera.

• Like 1

If you look on John’s website, you will see that the same picture does not seem so grainy there. As well as scanning artefacts, the resizing process can make grain look sharp edged, unless you use PS Bicubic Sharper or PS will select the best option if you leave it at Bicubic Automatic. It then selects Sharper for downsizing and Smoother for upsizing. When I have used other programs than PS to resize, the results have not always been good.

Wilson

• Like 1