Backfocusing with 105-280 zoom on DMR

ryee3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are there any previous known reports of backfocusing with the the 105-280 f4.2 zoom on a DMR as opposed to film on the R system? I just purchased a used one for my DMR. It a great lens and I am enjoying it. However, everything seems to be in focus on the majority of my photos behind my intended point of focus. Appreciate comments and what the best thing to do to check, confirm and fix this seeming annoying occurrence? Thanks:(

Edited by ryee3
made typing error

Since the lens is manual focus, the only things that can cause a discrepancy between viewscreen focus and sensor focus are focus shift and mirror box calibration. Do you see this problem at all apertures? If so that would point to the mirror box, for example sensor plane or viewscreen position errors. Check the viewscreen to be sure it's seated properly. I don't know of any focus shift problems with this lens.

I had focusing issues with the DMR why I sent first the R8 for be "adjusted for film/DMR" and it came back 100% and I sent the R9 for the same adjustment.

The result was that both were 100% in focus (and still is).

There has been a lot of talk about "pairing" the DMR with the R9 or R8 camera, but when each part is adjusted to factory standard (and tolerances), it is 100% precise.

If you send in the body for adjustment and still have problems, send in the DMR for adjustment as well. Each part adjusted to standard will fit together.

(same for the M cameras, by the way. "Pairing" is not necessary)

Since the lens is manual focus, the only things that can cause a discrepancy between viewscreen focus and sensor focus are focus shift and mirror box calibration. Do you see this problem at all apertures? If so that would point to the mirror box, for example sensor plane or viewscreen position errors. Check the viewscreen to be sure it's seated properly. I don't know of any focus shift problems with this lens.
It must be calibration of the mirror box/sensor position on the DMR. I did not notice any focus shift on this lens. Check that your viewfinder screen is locked in properly.