slide film - anyone out there still using them?

mkern1974

• 4 weeks later...
Still happily using slide film here in Adelaide, S.Oz. We have one place left that develops the stuff. I've really come to love 50 Velvia and always have a brick or two in the freezer though I buy it from Freestyle. It's still cheaper with shipping costs than getting it anywhere in Australia.

Apart from Adelaide Vanbarr have and process Fuji slide film in Melbourne. Digital is fine but after recently reviewing slides taken on Kodachrome and Agfochrome with the M3 in 1980 I have switched back to slide film with outstanding results. Incidently the cameras are SL, R4s, R8 and the early Minilux I trust Fuji will continue to produce the film as bluntly, the digital results of my Digilux 2 come no where near the Fuji Lside impact

Regards

Bob Showers.

I was off slide film for a long time - hauling out the projector just became too much of a hassle. I think I stopped using K64 sometime in the late 80's and stayed away until 2002 or thereabouts. The availability of first-rate scanners brought me back. I'm now using a Nikon LS4000 for my small format stuff and an Imacon for the larger media. I've made a good start at scanning my archive of maybe 15,000 slides and I can tell you that a slideshow on my large-screen TV is a very good substitute for my old Pradovit.

• 8 months later...

I love slide film and viewing with my Leica projector.

Soon I'll be shooting a group of people playing pinball, however the light will be low so I'm going to use HP5 B&W negatives and have them pushed and reversed processed at Dr5, for some really cool B&W negatives.

I was on the phone with the owner and he stated the HP5 will easily push to iso 1600 (as long as the film is fresh.) And said it can easily get pushed to iso 3200, however at about iso 1600, it starts getting much more grainy. That could be a cool effect, however I think shooting at 1600 will be more than enough. I'll be sure to check before doing so.

He said HP5 is a better film to use when compared to the Ilford 3200. (for the reverse processing.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use almost exclusively fuji provia 100. I'm considering buying a scanner plustek 7600, have no projector but looking for one. Seems that Braun and others still have some on the market. I love slides for their colours, their saturation, their brilliant tones. I have thirty year old slides that are like new.

Finishing frantically my remaining Kodachrome (also gave away a fair amount to my brother), should be done by Tuesday (holiday here on Monday).

Will start trying the various Fuji slide fils, and finally decide which works best for me. However, also came across some unmounted B+W Agafa slides from the late '70's, which I had never projected, and really fell in love with them. I think I will try the Adox slides (difficult if not impossible to find over here), and wonder if there is anything else on this front available that would be worthwhile trying.

Strangely, have the feeling it could worthwhile using B+W 35mm cine for some fun in my M cameras...

Edited by Posto 6

Finishing frantically my remaining Kodachrome (also gave away a fair amount to my brother), should be done by Tuesday (holiday here on Monday).

Where would you get the Kodachrome developed? I thought all Kodachrome labs stopped processing.

However it does seem to me I've read about a very expensive charge per roll for Kodachrome development somewhere, but I don't know if it's still going on today.

Kodachrome can still be processed by Dwaynes in Kansas, until the end of December.

Some other places claim to be able to do it, but charge a fortune and may take up to six months.

It will still be processable, as a black and white film, after December

I actually use the Kodak mailers (until the end of Nov) that came with the European film I bought. It goes to Lausanne, who return it to a Swiss address of a friend who forwards it to me. However, the film has to be with Kodak by 30 Nov this year.