the perfect travel kit

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jaap,

Thanks for that. It will save me thinking for our trip to SA and Namibia over Christmas. Only changes are that I don't think I will take both 90 Elmarit and 135 T-E but only one or other. I will also take WATE in place of a 24, which I don't have and the MATE comes everywhere with me. I was thinking of getting a faster binocular than my elderly 10 x 25 Trinovids. Torn between Duovid 8-12 or Canon IS 12x. Found the Duovid's at £350 off list price.

I would like to take 400 Telyt/Televit but just too big.

Wilson

Wilson, I bought my wife an Ultravid 10x32 last year and it is considerably better than my 10x42 Trinovid, even in low light...:( And very much lighter as well. Personally I find the 12x a bit long and unstable for wildlife, but that is a personal thing. Canon has the IS of course, but optically it cannot match the Leicas.

Wilson, I bought my wife an Ultravid 10x32 last year and it is considerably better than my 10x42 Trinovid, even in low light...:( And very much lighter as well. Personally I find the 12x a bit long and unstable for wildlife, but that is a personal thing. Canon has the IS of course, but optically it cannot match the Leicas.

Jaap,

Thanks for the information. You are almost certainly right that I could find the Duovids too heavy and they would end up getting left behind. The advantage of the 10 x 25 Trinovids, is that you always have them with you, since they fit in a shirt pocket.

Probably heresy to say it on this site but it is rumoured that the best binoculars on sale today, are the Lotutec Victory Zeiss FL series with the advanced optical system using Abbe-Koenig image-erecting prisms rather than the usual Penchan but they are even more expensive than the equivalent Leica Binocs.

Wilson

For general travel photography - street, people, architecture etc

M9

28 Elmarit asph

50 Lux Asph

90 Elmarit

iPad

Covers me for wide, standard, tele and very compact. The 50 Lux covers low light needs.

If I'm doing wildlife (eg Africa) I take a Canon 1D Mk2 and 500/4 IS as well and maybe 180 macro to cover mid distance and obviously macro but far more portable than a 70-200/2.8 zoom.

I have a truckload of Canon fast glass that will probably find itself on eBay now that I have fallen for the M9. My shoulder is still thanking me.

Cheers

HillBilly

I am rather new to Leica so it was the first time I took it with me. Previously I had a D700 + Zeiss 35/2 + 20/2.8 + 200/2.8 with me. Quite the overkill.

What I took with me for hiking:

M8

CV 15

Rokkor 40/2

90 M-Elmarit

Blumax GT-4044 GPS logger

All worn on a LowePro belt with sliplock pouches.

But that will change in favour of:

M8

CV 15

Ultron 28/2

M-Hexanon 90/2.8

GPS logger.

I had a LowePro Terraclime 100 with me, small bag for camera + one lens and it worked fine.

Also, I had a small Novoflex tabletop tripod with me, nice piece of kit.

Thanks for the info and the inspiration, Arif. Great photos! Really good. Were these photos publish in a magazine or similar?

Did you only use those two setups? And as far as I could see you mostly used the Leica. Right? Your input helped me to remove some of my stuff from my bag! :) "The more equipment you bring the fewer pictures you take" is something Jay Maisel thought me during his workshops. I might need to that advise to heart.

Thank you very much Maarten for the very positive comments. These were just for personal work but I would be happy if some magazine did pick them up ;)

I only used these two lenses and carried both cameras within reach all the time. Most pictures were taken with the Leica since I do like to get up close but the monasteries were quite dark and the high ISO for the D3 helped.

One more thing - I only used the tripod once (first day to make some panos) so you may consider leaving it home as well and enjoy your freedom and interaction with the locals.

Thanks again!

This thread is wonderful fun to read and think about. Personally, the kind of gear I take depends totally on where I'm going, what I'm photographing, and for how long. Main issues are always:

Do I need an SLR and long lenses?

Do I need a tripod? For me the answer is almost always yes because I love shooting in low light -- early morning, late evening, or at night -- and almost always landscapes or cityscapes.

Do I need a flash? Usually the answer is yes, but small (SF24) mostly for fill with people I know (not good for candids, obviously).

Do I need an external meter? Almost always I take one, either small (Digisix) or bigger, (Sekonic 503L for spot as well as incident).

Other personal preferences:

I always take a Billingham vest. I find it too useful. On the street I often carry just an M9 and two or three lenses (28 or 35, 50, 75 'chrons). A vest gives me a quick way to access the lens and a secure way to carry them. If I'm shooting landscapes (which I almost always do) I use the vest in the same way.

In most cases, these days, I carry only M gear and use a suitcase because I usually have a place to settle down. If I were on the road more, I would simply take a bag. I have never had to check Leica gear. I do put a tripod (usually without a head) in checked luggage.

Thanks, guys, for the very enjoyable scenarios.

--Gib

Don't you find the mixing of film and digital inconvenient on the road? I would not do it, it adds the problems of the one to the problems of the other. I would choose for either film or digital.

Quite apart from the fact that I have a strong aversion to scanning and find beamers not very impressive, so I could never produce the full range of images of the trip.

Jaapv

The film digital thing.

I was thinking of the origional post regarding the best kit for a one year around the world trip.

For that kind of trip I would probably want to shoot film at some point. Otherwise I would agree, I like to keep it simple myself.

Going to Bhutan in a few weeks. Still undecided if I want to bring my Nikon D700 or only bring the M9 & M8 set. M8 will be left home when I take the D700. D700 for dark monasteries and evening/night photography.

Current "perfect" travel kit:

M9

CV 15 LTM

24mm F2.8 Elmarit

35 Cron Asph F2.0

50mm Noctilux F1.0

90mm Cron Asph F2.0

135mm Tele Elmar F4.0

M8

or

D700 with

AF-D 24-85mm F2.8 - F4.0

AF-D 50mm F1.4

AF-D 80-200mm F2.8

Laptop + two external drives for backup

2x 16GB SD and a couple of 2GB

Chargers

7 Leica batteries

GPS logger

Cardreader

Cleaning kit (blower and Artic Butterfly)

Spirit level

1.25x viewfinder enlarger

Gitzo 1550T with Markins Q3T

Man, I hope it fits in a bag....

Oh man, I would leave at least half of this at home. Too many choices.... often I find if I have too many lenses along I'm thinking too much about my choices and not engaging enough with the subject at hand. Or changing lenses/cameras at just the time something great happens. I would say M9 with three lenses and D700 with two. M9 with 24, 35, and 50, and D700 with 80-200 and maybe a 28 prime (Zeiss preferably ::)).

Good luck! Wish I was going!

Oh man, I would leave at least half of this at home. Too many choices.... often I find if I have too many lenses along I'm thinking too much about my choices and not engaging enough with the subject at hand. Or changing lenses/cameras at just the time something great happens. I would say M9 with three lenses and D700 with two. M9 with 24, 35, and 50, and D700 with 80-200 and maybe a 28 prime (Zeiss preferably ::)).

Good luck! Wish I was going!

Thanks Charles. I will probably loose some of the stuff. I know from two years ago when I was in Japan I saw all these people with their "point-and-shoot DSLRS" and I, the poor guy, only had my M8 with 15mm, 35mm and 50mm with me. I almost bought a new DSLR in one of the shops of Tokyo. But after the trip I noticed that I almost only used the 35mm cron, a couple of shots with the Noctilux and that was it. The tripod got used only once.

Bringing two systems will add to the bulk. Even though a D700 might be very helpful in a dark dzong I might leave it at home and be creative with the stuff I do have. Don't have 28mm Zeiss ;)

Anyway I will have a lot of fun with a couple photography enthusiasts. I'm going with this guide: http://www.bhutan-festivals.com/

I recently spent three weeks traveling in Greece and Istanbul. I took with me:

M8

MP

35/1.4 asph

50/1.4 asph

21/3.4 & finder

3 M8 batteries

6 SD cards (2gb & 4gb)

2 bricks of Tri-X

Gossen DigiSix

13" MacBook Pro

I like the MP/Tri-X for street photography and the M8 for most everything else. I wouldn't mind the upgrade to a M9 to maintain the 21/35/50 field of view, however. The M8 rough equivalent of 28/50/70 was a bit too tight.

Thanks Charles. I will probably loose some of the stuff. I know from two years ago when I was in Japan I saw all these people with their "point-and-shoot DSLRS" and I, the poor guy, only had my M8 with 15mm, 35mm and 50mm with me. I almost bought a new DSLR in one of the shops of Tokyo. But after the trip I noticed that I almost only used the 35mm cron, a couple of shots with the Noctilux and that was it. The tripod got used only once.

Bringing two systems will add to the bulk. Even though a D700 might be very helpful in a dark dzong I might leave it at home and be creative with the stuff I do have. Don't have 28mm Zeiss ;)

Anyway I will have a lot of fun with a couple photography enthusiasts. I'm going with this guide: Bhutan Festivals, Tours and Treks

Hi Martin,

Yes, it's quite liberating to only have a small bag containing a couple of extra lenses just in case. Also keep in mind that at times you may be at altitude and don't want to be lugging extra along.

My preferred kit is M9 (used to be M8 - before that M7/6) with 24, 35 (28 with M8), 50, 75 (used to be 90) and 135 though at least one or two (usually 50 and 135) get left behind at room depending on day's subject. I will also often bring along a Mamiya 6 with two lenses or a Rollieflex TLR with a bunch of Tri-X. That way I get a totally different look and way of working from the Leica. The 6 is great because the lens collapses so takes up less room. I often pack it all in a backpack (or larger camera bag) for the flight but then bring a small satchel type bag in my checked luggage (Domke or Billingham) for actual walking around.

Anyway, have fun!

Hi Martin,

Yes, it's quite liberating to only have a small bag containing a couple of extra lenses just in case. Also keep in mind that at times you may be at altitude and don't want to be lugging extra along.

My preferred kit is M9 (used to be M8 - before that M7/6) with 24, 35 (28 with M8), 50, 75 (used to be 90) and 135 though at least one or two (usually 50 and 135) get left behind at room depending on day's subject. I will also often bring along a Mamiya 6 with two lenses or a Rollieflex TLR with a bunch of Tri-X. That way I get a totally different look and way of working from the Leica. The 6 is great because the lens collapses so takes up less room. I often pack it all in a backpack (or larger camera bag) for the flight but then bring a small satchel type bag in my checked luggage (Domke or Billingham) for actual walking around.

Anyway, have fun!

Charles,

Whereas I would love to take my Rolleiflex 3.5E (Planar) travelling with me, I always feel to do it justice, I then need to take a decent robust tripod as well. Given that I feel all cameras, laptop etc need to go in hand-luggage, by the time I have two M bodies, a few lenses, including the quite large and heavy 280 Telyt-V and a Visoflex with me, it adds up to too much for air travel, if I take the Rollei. I therefore nowadays, only take the Rollei kit with me on car journeys. With how good the M9 is, more and more my film cameras are becoming static exhibits.

Wilson

Hi Martin,

Anyway, have fun!

I'm sure gonna have fun. I can image the Mamiya 6 is great. I have an Rolleiflex 6008 int 2 which I definitely will leave at home. I would have preferred to have the 6, but for some reason got the Rollei. Great for studio work, not for travel.

I do the same as you with the bags. A Kiboko backpack to take with me in the cabin and a small Billingham for the road.

My only issue with bringing only the M9 would be failure of the camera in some remote place. That's the reason to bring the M8 (or the D700)

Charles,

Whereas I would love to take my Rolleiflex 3.5E (Planar) travelling with me, I always feel to do it justice, I then need to take a decent robust tripod as well. Given that I feel all cameras, laptop etc need to go in hand-luggage, by the time I have two M bodies, a few lenses, including the quite large and heavy 280 Telyt-V and a Visoflex with me, it adds up to too much for air travel, if I take the Rollei. I therefore nowadays, only take the Rollei kit with me on car journeys. With how good the M9 is, more and more my film cameras are becoming static exhibits.

Wilson

Interesting. Because the reason I am taking the Telyt-V and Visoflex with me is that it is that it relieves me of quite some weight opposed to the Vario-Elmar 105-280.;)

whenever I cannot catch any sleep at night I mentally pack a camera bag for a 1 year trip around the world. the contents change through time. currently it is a black domke 803 filled with:

- a M9

- a 50 lux pre-asph

- a 35 cron asph

- either a 21 or a 24 elmarit asph, (deciding about this usually send me to sleep)

- a ricoh grd3

- a minox tripod

the leica charger and the ricoh charger with apple plug

- memory cards (haven't decided about how much of them), stored in a think tank pocket rocket

- 4 Leica batteries

- 2 Ricoh batteries

in my suitcase I'd have the smallest notebook available (Apple: Shame on you for not providing a sub-notebook with two or three external hard drives, to be send back periodically

as a backup I'd have a m8 with 35 cron pre-asph readily packed at a friend's house to get UPSed to wherever I lost my bag.

What would you take?

on my last trip I took the 21 Elmarit ASPH, 35 'chron ASPH, and a 75 'lux plus an M2, MP. Next time I'll be taking an M8 with the MP so will have to lug charger, and possibly a spare plus batteries and a notebook/laptop with mains unit etc etc.