the perfect travel kit

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot dng & smallest jpg and copy onto the ipad, make a preselection and delete what I don't want to keep. The small jpg is only for comfortable viewing in the ipad.

Once connected to the MBP at home, the import dialog of LR3 just opens up and I can import the same way I used to do with plugging the sd card into the MBP

For me a very convenient solution.

rgds

JPH

I also addad an iPad to my equipment. Do I need an App to download the pictures from the card via the card reader? Is the full resolution of dngs kept? I understood to shoot now in dng and jpg for review on the iPad.

Do I have the same information quality when I download later on to my desktop Mac from iPad than from card?

Thanks, FotoMax

Nine months hace passed since I started this thread. I did a couple of travels this year and now my travel kit shrinked considerably.

there is really only one lens I need for the M9, and this would be the new 35 Lux asph, which turned out to be my most favourite M lens I ever owned. Had the old Aspherical one, which I never liked, but the new one really shines.

meanwhile I also replaced in my bag the ricoh with the Sony TX5, as I found out that the GRD is just not good enough to be an alternative to the M9, so I'd rather take something which is completely different, which the Sony is. waterproof, 24mm wideangle and HD video, this little baby got me a few pictures I would have never gotten with anything else. and it's tiny. of course no RAW though....

So here it is, my (currently) definitiv travel setup:

- a M9

- a 35 lux asph 2. gen

- a Sony TX5

- a minox tripod

the leica charger and the Sony charger with apple plug

- memory cards, 5x32gb, stored in a think tank pocket rocket

- 4 Leica batteries

- 2 Sony batteries

no need for a domke anymore, I rather go for a Timbuk2 messenger bag. lighter, better pockets, more water resistant, better belt, even less camera bag....

haven's solved my Laptop problem yet. Still not convinced about the Ipad

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even though I could import from my iPad to either iPhoto or LR3, I actually still import off the SD card. The iPad is just to look at the photos in the short term and as a belts and braces in case of an SD card problem (unlikely).

Wilson

• Like 1

Even though I could import from my iPad to either iPhoto or LR3, I actually still import off the SD card. The iPad is just to look at the photos in the short term and as a belts and braces in case of an SD card problem (unlikely).

Wilson

Me too. Plus i havent found a way to import from ipad to Bridge, which i am still usin.

Travel light personal favorites

camera, 35mm, 75mm with lens hoods

8 - 4 gig sd cards in lowepro media case

charger and 2 extra batteries

point & shoot camera & charger

i-pod with card reader adapter (120gb) & charger

nd filter

optional

21mm with lens hood

flash

small gorilla tripod

all fits in my Lima bag with small belt case to travel extra light

I found the following ideal for my travels:

M9

WATE

35 'lux

90 Elmarit-M

3x batteries

4x Hoodman RAW 16GB SDHC Cards

RRS grip/plate

Gitzo traveller with RRS BH-25

Gordy's Sling

Domke F803 Ruggedwear Satchel

Canon S90 for P&S and backup.

The kits I usually take with me are:

Kit #1

M9

28 Summicron ASPH

50 Summicron

B+W circular Polarizer

Kit #2

M9 + D-Lux4

90 Summicron

Kit #3 (5% of the time)

M9

28 Summicron ASPH

Nikon D300

Nikkor 85 f/1.4

Nikkor 300 f/2.8

My M9 travel kit will be:

18mm super-elmar. (landscape)

28mm elmarit. (landscape)

50mm cron. (streetphotography)

75mm cron. (portrait,landscape)

4 batteries.

M9 charger.

Leica tabletripod and ballhead.

cable release trigger.

Spirit level.

Sensor cleaning kit.

Lens cleaning kit.

M9/M8 raincap.

May be M8 just for a M9 failure.

My first M9 travel is going to happen. I've been too busy. With the M8 my travels have been a joy. I'm desperate to travel and enjoy my M9. I'm dreaming about FRANCE. Me and my M9 are learning already some french. May be I'll meet the spirit of HCB ;) but I think that my travel kit will be to heavy to find it.

Going to Bhutan in a few weeks. Still undecided if I want to bring my Nikon D700 or only bring the M9 & M8 set. M8 will be left home when I take the D700. D700 for dark monasteries and evening/night photography.

Current "perfect" travel kit:

M9

CV 15 LTM

24mm F2.8 Elmarit

35 Cron Asph F2.0

50mm Noctilux F1.0

90mm Cron Asph F2.0

135mm Tele Elmar F4.0

M8

or

D700 with

AF-D 24-85mm F2.8 - F4.0

AF-D 50mm F1.4

AF-D 80-200mm F2.8

Laptop + two external drives for backup

2x 16GB SD and a couple of 2GB

Chargers

7 Leica batteries

GPS logger

Cardreader

Cleaning kit (blower and Artic Butterfly)

Spirit level

1.25x viewfinder enlarger

Gitzo 1550T with Markins Q3T

Man, I hope it fits in a bag....

Going to Bhutan in a few weeks. Still undecided if I want to bring my Nikon D700 or only bring the M9 & M8 set. M8 will be left home when I take the D700. D700 for dark monasteries and evening/night photography.

Current "perfect" travel kit:

M9

CV 15 LTM

24mm F2.8 Elmarit

35 Cron Asph F2.0

50mm Noctilux F1.0

90mm Cron Asph F2.0

135mm Tele Elmar F4.0

M8

or

D700 with

AF-D 24-85mm F2.8 - F4.0

AF-D 50mm F1.4

AF-D 80-200mm F2.8

Laptop + two external drives for backup

2x 16GB SD and a couple of 2GB

Chargers

7 Leica batteries

GPS logger

Cardreader

Cleaning kit (blower and Artic Butterfly)

Spirit level

1.25x viewfinder enlarger

Gitzo 1550T with Markins Q3T

Man, I hope it fits in a bag....

I spent two weeks in Bhutan and feel you need the D700. Please take a look at my gallery Arif Iqball Photography | Bhutan to see the pictures I took with the M8/35 lux and the D3/80-200 combo. That covered almost every situation I wanted to cover. Many monasteries don't allow flash so you need fast glass and the D3 helped a lot.

Finally worked out my Africa kit:

M8

M9

Summilux 24

Summicron 35 asph

Summilux 50 asph

Elmarit 90

Tele-elmar 135

V-Telyt 280

Visoflex

2 chargers

6 batteries

SF24D

Filters

Trinovid 10x42

It all fits into a Billingham Presstop 206, and weighs 9kg.

That is a lot better that the backpack with DMR, long lenses and M kit that I normally carry.

I'll take the small Billingham in the checked luggage so I won't have to lug the full gear around when I am on a day outing.

Finally worked out my Africa kit:

M8

M9

Summilux 24

Summicron 35 asph

Summilux 50 asph

Elmarit 90

Tele-elmar 135

V-Telyt 280

Visoflex

2 chargers

6 batteries

SF24D

Filters

Trinovid 10x42

It all fits into a Billingham Presstop 206, and weighs 9kg.

That is a lot better that the backpack with DMR, long lenses and M kit that I normally carry.

I'll take the small Billingham in the checked luggage so I won't have to lug the full gear around when I am on a day outing.

Jaap,

Thanks for that. It will save me thinking for our trip to SA and Namibia over Christmas. Only changes are that I don't think I will take both 90 Elmarit and 135 T-E but only one or other. I will also take WATE in place of a 24, which I don't have and the MATE comes everywhere with me. I was thinking of getting a faster binocular than my elderly 10 x 25 Trinovids. Torn between Duovid 8-12 or Canon IS 12x. Found the Duovid's at £350 off list price.

I would like to take 400 Telyt/Televit but just too big.

Wilson

The reason I am taking both 90 and 135 is that I want to use the 90 for people, and the TE 135 for IR safari photography. I want to experiment with that. I decided to leave the DMR and long gear at home, too heavy for the short time I will be in the bush. And I decided to sell my Noflexar.

Jaap, I also thought you mentioned using hard cases in prior posts; do you pack all gear in large soft Billingham for airport travel? Also curious what you take as far as cards, portable storage/review device or laptop, etc. and how/if this goes by hand as well through airports.

Jeff

• Like 1

I take a Braun portable harddisk/cardreader in the checked luggage and 6 16 GB cards. I have a hard (Pelican) case that takes a nice Omnitraveller bag, but I use that when I want a watertight transport. I have never had a problem in airports. I do put my tripod in the checked luggage as well, but in theory it should be allowed as cabin luggage.

I spent two weeks in Bhutan and feel you need the D700. Please take a look at my gallery Arif Iqball Photography | Bhutan to see the pictures I took with the M8/35 lux and the D3/80-200 combo. That covered almost every situation I wanted to cover. Many monasteries don't allow flash so you need fast glass and the D3 helped a lot.

Thanks for the info and the inspiration, Arif. Great photos! Really good. Were these photos publish in a magazine or similar?

Did you only use those two setups? And as far as I could see you mostly used the Leica. Right? Your input helped me to remove some of my stuff from my bag! :) "The more equipment you bring the fewer pictures you take" is something Jay Maisel thought me during his workshops. I might need to that advise to heart.