Noctilux f/0.95 compared to Voigtlander 50/1.1 Nokton

Alnitak

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting to see this thread bounce back to life. The last few months put me on a search to replace my trusted 50mm Hexanon f/2. I wanted something faster and based on Reiner's pictures with the Nokton, and at least one other forum member, I ordered the Nokton f/1.1. I got it, shot with it, and concluded that wide open it was too soft. I returned it for a refund. It seems this lens is hit and miss, some people have Nokton's that are spot on wide open, other don't. In the meantime I sold my Hexanon, and set my sights on a 50mm Summilux ASPH. After waiting two months, it arrived at my dealer on Saturday. I've been playing with it ever since. It is a keeper. Here are some sample portrait shots:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/129620-some-dogs-get-all-girls.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/129640-carolin.html

The only thing I'm missing now is a Leica UV/IR cut filter. I've ordered one and should have it by Friday.

I these shots as the Sun was setting yesterday, wide open.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo

Wilfredo,

Looks like you are located not far from me; I work in Santa Monica and live in the hills above Malibu. I've been working London for the last month, and your first shot has me missing SoCal!

The 50mm Summilux is just a superb lens. If you want fast and sharp, its the ticket. It's also quite compact. It's probably the lens that is most often mounted on my M9.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Wilfredo,

Looks like you are located not far from me; I work in Santa Monica and live in the hills above Malibu. I've been working London for the last month, and your first shot has me missing SoCal!

The 50mm Summilux is just a superb lens. If you want fast and sharp, its the ticket. It's also quite compact. It's probably the lens that is most often mounted on my M9.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Among other things, endless beaches keep me in Southern California. I can understand how you must be feeling. I love the lens, no question about it.

• 2 weeks later...

aa.jpg

Exiled Flower Shot at f/.95

Nobody asked about the wannabe Noctilux, but I have to spoil this thread with this picture I shot last evening. Canon f/.95 50mm on a G1. Unfortunately two adapters were required which means its 'infinity' is about 1.5 meters. Not too shabby considering it should never be considered a close-up lens.

Edited by pico

• 4 years later...

What about Nokton 1,1/50 compared to 3,5/5cm? (I could not find any other thread about the 1,1/50). Bought the Nokton tonight. Same shutter speed used with both lenses.

Is it better using a soft fast lens or a slower sharper (?) lens with higher IS0?

(last picture is a 100% crop)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Does it need to have a reason?

Perhaps not. We could consider it another sample to put into our big box of look-backs. But a point would be interesting if there were not dozens of variables to deal with, the greatest being subject distance, web presentation, scanning issues, and others I will not deal with.

After a long hard 2014 I bought a Noct 0.95 as a reward to myself, when I found a 10% special discount locally. I worked hard this year and I can afford it. With the discount it's unlikely I'll lose much if I didn't like it. I was interested to see how I felt about it compared to the Nokton I owned for many thousands of frames and which I really liked. I never owned them both together though.

For me, I'll be keeping my 0.95. I know I'm paying 9 grand extra for 5%. But when the 5% kicks in, Wow! A lot of the time the Noctilux shoots like any fast lens. Lots of blur close up. Constant worry about precise focus and it's big and heavy. Most of the time it reminds me of a faster 1.5 Nokton. Rarely do I see anything like my 50 Lux ASPH though.

But every now and then, in certain conditions, something really special happens. I'm still learning this lens but something to do with a single light source and mid toned background, I think, and the Noct has a look like nothing I've seen before. I read that it seems to have less contrast in the centre wide open, which is why it has that luminance. I have no idea if that's true but the luminance is there. Not always. just sometimes. The lit subject seems to float on top of the background. While the Nokton is a great lens (but with focus shift from f2-5.6) it can't do this.

Somehow the flaws in the Noctilux (glow, fringing, vignetting) all work together in just the right way, when the light is right.

Gordon