Leica should rebate M8/8.2 owners for an M9

alfio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think Leica should give a $500 or $1000 rebate to Leica M8/8.2 owners toward an M9. We have endured the IR problems, the loud shutters, the inaccurate framelines and poor high ISO performance of the M8/8.2s. Leica..... how about throwing us a bone?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Leica should give a $500 or $1000 rebate to Leica M8/8.2 owners toward an M9. We have endured the IR problems, the loud shutters, the inaccurate framelines and poor high ISO performance of the M8/8.2s. Leica..... how about throwing us a bone?

Gosh...Someone who obviously was on the waiting list for the very first M8s (and hence knew nothing of the "problems" that were to come) waits all these years to join this forum, and then makes such an idiotic suggestion with his/her fist posting. :(

This is what happens when the Leica Ownership Screening Team (LOST) fails to do its job. I've complained about this before, but what are we paying these people for? :mad:

(BTW Alfio...If all those problems with the M8 are such a steep hill to climb, what makes you think you're enough of a photographer to handle the M9?) :confused:

Gosh...Someone who obviously was on the waiting list for the very first M8s (and hence knew nothing of the "problems" that were to come) waits all these years to join this forum, and then makes such an idiotic suggestion with his/her fist posting. :(

This is what happens when the Leica Ownership Screening Team (LOST) fails to do its job. I've complained about this before, but what are we paying these people for? :mad:

(BTW Alfio...If all those problems with the M8 are such a steep hill to climb, what makes you think you're enough of a photographer to handle the M9?) :confused:

Nice man

Geez - my dealer is likely to give me a $1400 tradein for my Mates - why settle for $500-$1000?

I think Alfio refers to a sort of "upfront discount - fidelity gift" which doesn't require the material trade-in of M8 body.... many of course would appreciate.... but considering that M8 users are a significant share of M9 potential buyers, very unprobable they setup such a promotion; at the best, if they would like, at a certain time, to improve M9 sales to M8 owners, they could make such a promo, but with the mandatory add-on of a high-margin accessory (a lens), which could justify a significant discount...

I think since I have made a significant "investment" in Leica with the purchase of not one, not two, but three MPs all new (but pre-owned), Leica should pay me to take an M9.

Or, if I buy an M9, they should throw in a Noctilux.

What's fair is fair. :rolleyes:

To correct the statement; the M8 was not an endurance but a significant breakthrough. Leica "threw me a bone" when they sold me not one, but two M8's. They have now extended my horizons by selling me an M9. My two M8's surprise, surprise, are still working as well as ever. I'm not rushing to sell them. May sell one eventually.

All of the M8 'problems' referred to above have been addressed, at the M8 level. Simply choose to adopt them. The M8 continues to excel. The M9 simply takes it further, and very well by my still early adoption.

M9 are still on short supply. As soon as Leica offers any rebate or trade-in incentive for the M9 we will know that a M10, or at least a M9.2 will materialise within the next 6 months.

At the introduction of the M8, Leica and its prophets explained that cropped sensor and external IR filter were the unavoidable conditions for a digital M. With the then available sensor technolgy. And likely Kodak was already working on that.

M8 buyers now could feel decepted by Leica. That tactic is known as FUD which however normally is used against competotors rather than a company's own, but future products.

Guest BigSplash
Venus or Mars?

Not sure which! However I do have a view about asking Leica to give a cash contribution against a backdrop of:

> Losing money in the last two fscal years ...where they burnt significant cash to stay alive and still invest for M9 and S2 , X1

> Having a M9 product that is flying off the shelves and hopefuly rebuilding the finances of the company

> Asking the workforce to lose their contractual entitlements Christmas bonus payment and holiday pay, and make sacrifices.

> Hopefully investing R&D money in M10 etc

Well the OP is not on the same planet as the rest of us. I hope Leica do not do this

they should rebuild their finances and continue their R&D efforts.

Not sure which! However I do have a view about asking Leica to give a cash contribution against a backdrop of:

> Losing money in the last two fscal years ...where they burnt significant cash to stay alive and still invest for M9 and S2 , X1

> Having a M9 product that is flying off the shelves and hopefuly rebuilding the finances of the company

> Asking the workforce to lose their contractual entitlements Christmas bonus payment and holiday pay, and make sacrifices.

> Hopefully investing R&D money in M10 etc

Well the OP is not on the same planet as the rest of us. I hope Leica do not do this

they should rebuild their finances and continue their R&D efforts.

Maybe we should take the OP with a grain of salt. In fact the weird question should flatter Leica.

The Leica experience is so wonderful, that it drives people crazy sometimes - or for longer.

BTW does Porsche give rebates?

Maybe we should take the OP with a grain of salt. In fact the weird question should flatter Leica.

The Leica experience is so wonderful, that it drives people crazy sometimes - or for longer.

BTW does Porsche give rebates?

How really gullible some people are on this thread. Here is a company, Leica, that lies to you about the Digital M "camera for life"- not a technological dead end like other manufacturers, and deceives you about the possibility of a full frame M camera possibility "in the near future", and then releases one without almost any warning

Although they have made fools of many of you, who have spent hard earned money on an M8.2 , most of you still gullibly defend them.

I too have been made a fool of by Leica, with the purchase of an M8.2 in June, and it's now obvious that Leica don't care about me or my camera as a previous customer

(of 25 years M & R film) now they only care about the future customers - until the next model is released.

And no Porsche do not give a rebate when a new model is released, however they do make sure that you know well in advance when a new model is coming, with tips to the motoring media etc so that you can make the choice of buying a current model, and possibly negotiating a better price, or waiting for the new model.

It's not necessarily about the money, but the lack of truth and integrity of the current Leica management that doesn't mind treating it's previous customers with contempt.

I'm sorry to hear that your M8 died the moment the M9 came out.:rolleyes:

You spent money on a d*mn fine camera, presumably because it is the camera you wanted. Nothing has changed for that camera. It still takes the same images, has the same ergonomics, takes the same lenses etc. Leica will support it for at least ten, possibly twenty years. I don't know your age, but that is a camera for a fair slice of your life. The fact that a new model has come out has not diminished it in any sense. If you feel you want that new camera, fine. Sell your M8, buy an M9. It wil probably cost you less than such a major upgrade -if it even had been possible, which not- would cost.

The M9 sells for AUD11,499 here ... that is a touch over 10 grand USD...

I've had to sell some beautiful R glass (still trying to sell the last one) to fund this camera which I so desire.

Your right. It's Leica's fault. If only they'd made a camera that you didn't want to buy then you needn't have sold your R lenses in order to buy it.

They should pay you for your anguish, damn them.:eek: