Press Release: S2 Technical Specs.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guy, sorry but nothing is out of context here, and you've not answered the question - you can choose to ignore if of course.

I hope lots of people including you decide to buy and use S2's. I've no idea how it stacks up to the competition in use and that will be the key factor IMO - we all have to wait and see on that one. In the meantime I reckon it's good to keep an open mind.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no interest whatsoever to even read your posts nor the time or desire to care. So going about and copying peoples quotes and posting them out of context to the conversation at hand is frankly just flat out stupid and only one reason for it and that is to discredit someone.

Now I'm confused. Someone said that you'd be buying an S2 by the end of the year and I provided an indication that you weren't - I fail to see how it's out of the context of the conversation at hand or how it discredits you.

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, sorry but nothing is out of context here, and you've not answered the question - you can choose to ignore if of course.

I hope lots of people including you decide to buy and use S2's. I've no idea how it stacks up to the competition in use and that will be the key factor IMO - we all have to wait and see on that one. In the meantime I reckon it's good to keep an open mind.

Sorry there is no turnaround at all. I like the S2 but it has some big nits and a big price and that makes you simply go back and forth on it's value to the market. End of the day if it puts out like a 50 mpx sensor than the value just went up because right now it compares on specs to a 40 at a much cheaper costs. This was may latest points I a have been making and I very well may underestimate it's output in reality than the specs indicate. Example if the specs match up to a P40+ at 22k with body and lens vs 29 k for the S2 than that is a 7 k difference in price BUT BUT if at the end of the day we see the output actually be at a 50 mpx Hassy than obviously it's value jumped up and maybe worth it after all because the Hassy 50 is more expensive and comparable than . Today we go by the specs and it's value does not match comparably but when the images come in and there is a IQ quality value that is higher than the specs than it's value may go up. That is the only change i have been talking about and maybe the little turnaround on thoughts. But we don't know this yet. It's open mike speaking just getting thoughts out there in a string, they may change those thoughts but the basic principles still apply.

Guest guy_mancuso
Now I'm confused. Someone said that you'd be buying an S2 by the end of the year and I provided an indication that you weren't - I fail to see how it's out of the context of the conversation at hand or how it discredits you.

I never said I was buying anything at any time .If the S2 is a buy I would not do it until next year when all the cards are on the table and I gotta run my wife is waiting for me at the gym.

I fail to see how any comments about Guy s changing his point of view(as additional facts are released) could be aimed at anything other than discrediting his posts. The exchange of nonsense that follows does nothing but ruin the post for others.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I fail to see how any comments about Guy s changing his point of view(as additional facts are released) could be aimed at anything other than discrediting his posts.

If you are referring to my posts, never did I say that Guy had changed his mind. I thought that was clear. This is my final post on the matter.

I agree Roger.

This whole S2 announcement and trickle of information leading up to release has been a roller coaster for me and I suspect many others.

• Photokina S2 announcement = pure excitement over the concept

• PhotoPlus = even more excitement after handling the S2 prototype

• Price announcement = stunned and disappointed because price is considerably more than I had "hoped" (so I could afford it), but only slightly more than really expected

• Specification release = no huge revelations one way or another - still trying to figure out a way to to come up with the cash for the camera/lens and battling with myself whether I should.

• Camera reviews and photo samples from respected sources = still anxiously waiting

If I were independently wealthy, this wouldn't be a roller coaster at all. I would buy the S2 in a heartbeat. As it is, I am not wealthy and this is a huge purchase decision.

If you are referring to my posts, never did I say that Guy had changed his mind. I thought that was clear. This is my final post on the matter.

I was referring to your posts. Your comments were intent on undermining Guy s posts and it added nothing positive to the discussion. Good to hear you have decided to stop posting on the subject.

It's completely unnecessary for me to put up this post but I feel the urge to bring the thread on track, hopefully you guys can understand and tolerate this "long" post. :D

There are many important information missing from the specification, just some quick examples:

1. What's the resolution of A/D converter inside the camera?

2. Does the camera support pixel binning?

3. What are the ISO steps? 1/3, 1/2 or 1EV?

4. Does it support DNG+JPEG writing or do people must choose either DNG or JPEG?

5. What is the AF working range? starting from -1 EV, 0EV or +1 EV?

6. Does it support exposure bracketing?

7. What about EV compensation range? in 1/2, 1/3 or 1 ev steps?

8. I know there's a AF lock button but is there a AE lock button?

9. Is AF micro adjustment user-controllable?

10. Does it support WB bracketing?

11. Can I set WB using Kevin temperature?

12. What's the metering range?

13. Is there an orientation sensor?

14. Moiré detection and suppression using digital signal processing? that's pretty new, no special raw processing needed?

15. Does the lens support manual overriding in all settings?

16. Is it possible to enlarge the image and check focusing on the back LCD?

17. How about battery life? is there any indication in camera?

17. Does it work under -20 °C, or may be -30 °C? this is very important to me because winter is simply too long, too brutal in my area.

18. Camera strap seems to be missing from the scope of supply. :)

7. -6EV to +6EV (should be 1/3 steps)

Wow, bigger than the D3's, that's very impressive ... meaning that I can shoot a near-dark or almost white-out frame (for good reasons) and pull it back in raw? I must see it myself to believe the Kodak sensor is so good. :)

Thank you for the info.

I very much look forward to a vicarious S2 ownership experience, brought to life through enthusiastic posts from forum members. :) No pressure Guy but I hope you do get one. I will enjoy your expressive posts on the subject a great deal. I will even send you a year's supply of punctuation so that the NESBs in the audience have as much fun as me. :D

NESB = Non Engrish speaking Brackground

Punctuation? These things - . , : ; ? ! :-)

:)

p.s. Finally got me a DMR. Fan-bl**dy-tastic!

Well, Johnston's comment has nothing to do with the specification, it was more about the comment on his own comment, in other words, he thinks that there's a bunch of people who are not specification conscious at all if I read it correctly ... I think he is right.

Everyone has the right to change his opinion, particularly after a bit of education and/or experience. I recall another forum member who initially responded to the DMR's pricing by buying a 1-series Canon, then after seeing what the M8 can do said "I've learned my lesson, no more Canon" and gave the EOS system to a family member.
How did you know that?:eek: Anyway, I di not give my Canon gear away, I sold it.