Press Release: S2 Technical Specs.

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeff at least on the Mamiya/Phase body it is a full frame 645 film viewfinder but all the backs have smaller size sensors than FF film . So we install screens for each sensor size. They have the P40/P30 size and than P25/P45 size. The P65+ is still not FF film so no screen but you can see all of the framing. Like the M you can see outside the inscribed black lines. Which I happen to like myself. Also you can use screens and also you do get free masks with your back which are plastic masks that you can install. Hassy i think is the same but better let a Hassy shooter answer that better than me.

For Phase folks we are still dealing with a film body design , which really needs to be updated to a digital only body. It works fine but most Phase shooters want a new body. Big nit there.

Edited by guy_mancuso

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks I forgot Michael and Sean plus other reviewers get all this tech data as well. Which is good it gets sent around the horn to everyone.

It still is not answering a few questions but hopefully some images will be forthcoming soon.

BTW is there any info on the S2 zoom lens. I think it was supposed to be 30-90 but not sure. What aperture is it and when is the release date for it. Anyone have any idea on this lens.

I know the first four lenses coming out in order are 70 and 180 on release followed shortly by the 35 than the 120 macro all before Christmas but after that I am not sure on the zoom.

Trying to get more info as to availability, but we should be looking at a Vario-Elmar 30-90mm f/3.5 ASPH (with constant aperture zoom) sometime in the winter/spring of 2010.

David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks I forgot Michael and Sean plus other reviewers get all this tech data as well. Which is good it gets sent around the horn to everyone.

It still is not answering a few questions but hopefully some images will be forthcoming soon.

i always found it interesting that the CIA leaks like a Moscow gas system,

and camera companies let out what they want, when they want

"Trying to get more info as to availability, but we should be looking at a Vario-Elmar 30-90mm f/3.5 ASPH (with constant aperture zoom) sometime in the winter/spring of 2010. "

Sure? On your PMA-blog you mentioned winter 2009?

That was the latest news I had back in March. Sometimes, timelines change a little bit. The 30-90 will come out after the 35mm CS, which is scheduled (firmly) for December. So, I'd figure the 30-90 has been pushed back a few months into 2010.

Just a guess until I can confirm this with Leica.

David

That was the latest news I had back in March. Sometimes, timelines change a little bit. The 30-90 will come out after the 35mm CS, which is scheduled (firmly) for December. So, I'd figure the 30-90 has been pushed back a few months into 2010.

Just a guess until I can confirm this with Leica.

David

david,

any comments on the 96% viewfinder coverage?

just to make it clear, i do not blame you for leica shortcomings, but you have been such an ardent supporter of the S system. so it would be illuminating to read your interpretation of why the top models of canikon/phase/hasselblad (did i forget something here?) all feature 100% viewfinder coverage and why leica cannot (does not want to....--))) do it?

i do not use my D700 anymore for precisely this reason. it is kind of annoying not to see what is on the image, isn't it? but maybe there is some superior/overiding design reason. for the D700 nikon stated that their sensor cleaning system is the reason...does the S2 have sensor cleaning built in?

peter

IMHO the 96% viewfinder is a very minor issue, unless all you want is JPGs straight out of the camera. It's not like the viewfinder shows more than the sensor sees. You get a little more picture than the viewfinder shows. I thought this would be a big deal when I changed from a 100% viewfinder to 96%, but it really wasn't.

david,

any comments on the 96% viewfinder coverage?

just to make it clear, i do not blame you for leica shortcomings, but you have been such an ardent supporter of the S system. so it would be illuminating to read your interpretation of why the top models of canikon/phase/hasselblad (did i forget something here?) all feature 100% viewfinder coverage and why leica cannot (does not want to....--))) do it?

i do not use my D700 anymore for precisely this reason. it is kind of annoying not to see what is on the image, isn't it? but maybe there is some superior/overiding design reason. for the D700 nikon stated that their sensor cleaning system is the reason...does the S2 have sensor cleaning built in?

peter

Peter,

I could only speculate at this point and will have to wait till after the weekend to speak to anyone at Leica for clarification.

My initial guess is that a 100% viewfinder would have made the prism taller and larger. But, frankly, this was the first mention of the viewfinder not being 100% that I had heard. I'll find out.

David

Peter,

I could only speculate at this point and will have to wait till after the weekend to speak to anyone at Leica for clarification.

My initial guess is that a 100% viewfinder would have made the prism taller and larger. But, frankly, this was the first mention of the viewfinder not being 100% that I had heard. I'll find out.

David

what, the prism 4% bigger? god forbid!! maybe there is something I don't get cause those folks who have designed the S2 and brought it to life are alot smarter than me.. but I would rather have a cropped finder with lines showing exactly what the sensor sees, than have a finder not seeing 100%.. this speaks only to my personal work where I do the cropping in camera..I rely on what was seen at exposure to work from and rarely crop the image in post..4% or otherwise...commercially it is no big deal to have extra on the file than what was seen on the glass..and this has nothing to do with jpegs, at least for me. Not to be anal, but I think it was matisse that once said that if you change just one element in his composition he would have to repaint the entire thing..not that I am composing matisse level works!!

maybe I am weird, but I like my subconscious to have visual acces to 100% of the image at hand, as seen in the viewfinder, I am often am surprised by what was seen on some level but not in my outer awareness, the inner mind takes in 100% of the whole image area, whereas the thinking mind may not. Where is that extra 4% that is captured but unseen through the viewfinder, bottom edge? right edge?.. 1% from each edge? it appears so iffy and non presise, when so much effort and thought has gone into this thing..maybe they should call it a 35.52mp camera to reflect the missing 4%.. I am amazed, confused and a bit saddened by this admission..I hope there is some better reason than the prism was going to have to be a bit larger..unless it was that the prism would have to be 30% larger..

I will get over it but for me it is the first blunder I have detected..well maybe thinking PO would help them with software was the first one...

I would be using the S2 commercially in tether mode so I am sure they are showing the whole image there, right? maybe this is all just a typo and its the screen on the back that shows 96%..couldn't be the viewfinder?!, not on this level of gear??!

come on, what is the point of having a through-the-lens relfex if you are not seeing 100%, who designed this, an "M" guy?

and speaking of tethering, the tether mode / software is is?? lightroom?, or their own software program?.. I am still unclear on this..could be the fine bottle of cotes du rhone i have just enjoyed but again Leica is releasing info without all the facts and samples to go with it..

update.. good news on my ebay sales.. looks like 4 rollei schneider manual lenses just might buy me a 120macro cs..I was worried that they would not even cover this one lens, which is a must have in the system...

granted the 120 does provide more than any one lens of the schneiders.. but wow, makes one bat the eyes at where we are now.

Edited by paulmoore

1/125th sync for the focal plane shutter. Due to the size of the shutter? Looks like a problem for outdoor fill flash on sunny days. With the R8 I'm usually shooting these shots at 1/250th and f8, which correctly exposes the background. At 1/125th it'd be f11, which means flash range problems.

Leaf shutter lenses to the rescue! Shooting at 1/500th and f5.6 would give a flash more effective range. Handy.

First of all, what's "pixel binning"?

Second of all, are you now saying that you have used an S2, Guy? That's what you imply in your post. Last time you posted (about 6 hours ago) you hadn't got hands on one...

Confused...:confused:

For a good description of pixel-binning read this. It should clear it up for you. And to correct Guy, Phase One's pixel-binning approach quadruples ISO performance, not doubles - 800 x 4 = 3200.