M8 Snobs

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have any of you ever gotten snubbed by an M8 photographer? The other day I ran into a guy with an M8, I was carrying another camera which he looked at in a manner bordering on disdain. Although I tried to engage him, and I approached him in a cheerful mood, he uttered something and walked away. I must not have been quite up to his standards. I get a lot out of my M8 but Jesus...

Honestly, I think most M8 owners are quite happy to engage M8 enthusiasts even if they approach us with a point and shoot.

Cheers

Edited by wilfredo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't me. But it could have been me.

I am not a snob whatsoever, but I can't help but think that dslr shooters look thoroughly and genuinely idiotic, on the streets, with their backpack and huuge lens on the camera.

If that makes me a Leica snob I don't care. I just think dslrs make people look dumb.

It wasn't me. But it could have been me.

I am not a snob whatsoever, but I can't help but think that dslr shooters look thoroughly and genuinely idiotic, on the streets, with their backpack and huuge lens on the camera.

If that makes me a Leica snob I don't care. I just think dslrs make people look dumb.

I may be guilty of similar thoughts from time to time but I recognize that some situations call for that. One of my favorite photographers, James Nachtwey always carried a back pack when he was on assignment. I would call him one of the "elders" in the world of photography, so perhaps you might re-consider your view?

James Nachtwey - Google Images

I may be guilty of similar thoughts from time to time but I recognize that some situations call for that. One of my favorite photographers, James Nachtwey always carried a back pack when he was on assignment. I would call him one of the "elders" in the world of photography, so perhaps you might re-consider your view?

James Nachtwey - Google Images

In my life I'm guilty of being subjective. Just normal I guess.

Of course, when I decide to be wise, my view on life and on the people surrounding me drastically changes and I suddenly become tolerant of anything. But I am guilty of shooting a dslr and looking extremely stupid during weddings. But at least I'm aware of it :)

In my life I'm guilty of being subjective. Just normal I guess.

Of course, when I decide to be wise, my view on life and on the people surrounding me drastically changes and I suddenly become tolerant of anything. But I am guilty of shooting a dslr and looking extremely stupid during weddings. But at least I'm aware of it :)

We're all guilty of being subjective. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. At least you get to feel smart when you shoot with the Leica :-) I think we all feel smarter when we shoot with the Leica, it's just that some people get a little carried away.

Cheers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tend to shy away when people approach me because of my M8. It's not a snob thing at all but more often than not, they come with the attitude of - 'look, idiot with expensive camera who probably takes worse photos than me with my Canon shooter!'. So unless the person was genuinely and obviously interested in Leica, rangefinder photography, etc, I'd much rather avoid than engage.

I can't help but think that dslr shooters look thoroughly and genuinely idiotic, on the streets, with their backpack and huuge lens on the camera.

Perhaps so. But then, who cares? After all, it is not the photographer who is on display but the photographs.

To be entirely fair, my experience so far has been that people look at my M8 with some form of condescension, obviously thinking it's "one of those antiquated film cameras". Actually, the only person who showed a genuine interest in the camera was a server in a restaurant in Bangkok who knew exactly what an M8 was - and we had a very nice chat!

Therefore, I generally get little attention and am free to concentrate on taking the pictures I want.

Things change radically when I (rarely now) use my Canon DSLRs, all the more so if I have the terrible idea of sticking one of those fat, ugly white L zoom lenses in front of it...:eek: Then I get all sorts of looks, questions about "what model", "how many megapixels", etc.

Go figure...

Edited by Ecar

In 2 years with M8, it happened just last week the first time I was appraoched by someone due to my M8: a french guy on the boat to Ile de Porquerolles who had a M7: a fine and funny short meeting, no snobbiness at all, he asked me how I did feel with that damned digital tech and why I choose a 75 over a 90 (in that moment I had the Summarit mounted) : I quickly understood that, strangerly, he simply did not know the issue of the crop factor of M8.

As I said... the first time in 2 years ! Leica is really a niche... :o... of course, I do not count the situations in which friends of my little daughters asked them how their dad could use such an old camera... :D

When I was looking at the Nikon D90 before christmas an oaf buying a used M8 looked at me and laughed saying (doesn't translate well) 'How can you buy that bit of plastic?' I was rather dumbfounded as at that point I owned three Leica cameras, so rather confused I mumbled that my other cameras were Leicas, and he just laughed at me as though I was some foolish kid who couldn't possibly ever afford such luxury items.

Otherwise the few Leica owners I've met have been a friendly bunch - but I must say I tend to prefer the ones who own film cameras for some reason... :)

Have any of you ever gotten snubbed by an M8 photographer? The other day I ran into a guy with an M8, I was carrying another camera which he looked at in a manner bordering on disdain. Although I tried to engage him, and I approached him in a cheerful mood, he uttered something and walked away. I must not have been quite up to his standards. I get a lot out of my M8 but Jesus...

Honestly, I think most M8 owners are quite happy to engage M8 enthusiasts even if they approach us with a point and shoot.

Cheers

And he probably on wears it as jewellery - how sad.

The M8 is a camera of choice for me as I found my previous DSLR too big, heavy and conspicuous and having used M's in my career I wanted to go back to them.

I purchased it to take photos not admire - it is a shame that there are those with more money than sense & capability who buy it as a status symbol (in their eyes).

Fortunately, these people are very much in the minority with most owners using and enjoying their M8's and producing great images.

He was probably scared in case you asked him what aperture he was using and he would have to respond with a "Huh".

Sad - Long rule the users not admirers!

Cheers

Ummm... How do I tell you... Was it your deodorant?:D

In the two and a bit years I've had my M8, I've had two people comment on it. Along the lines of 'Wow! is that a Leica M8?' followed by 'how do you get on with it?'

When I had my M2 and M6TTLs, very few people used to say anything - they seem so inconspicuous.

More people have approached me when I have been using large format kit. I think I was a bit rude once. I was having real problems with getting my head around the movements and the light was going. Doesn't make it right and I regret it.

I did see someone wandering around Swindon Town centre a while back with an M4 (I think) and MR meter and when I approached him he was rather rude and offhand, so I let him be. It takes allsorts.

Like Ian, my cameras are for taking pictures. If people want to have a chat then that's (usually) fine. It doesn't take much to be polite does it?

Cheers

Some M8 users are happy to not have to speak to people who think their camera is nice. Think about it from their perspective as well.

You might like it, personally I'd rather not have people come up to me.

Unfortunately, for anyone who approaches me with a genuine interest, I may be quite the opposite.

I was visiting my home town (a market town in the UK) over Christmas and was browsing a market stall with my wife and M8 over my shoulder (just the M8 over my shoulder, not my wife). A lady approached me with her mother and asked me if it was an M8. We then had a fairly long chat about general usage, Jpeg and DNG quality, etc. whilst her mother and my wife were beginning to noticeably glaze over. Turns out that the lady and her husband were Leica film users considering the move to digital and M8. I probably babbled on a bit too much but I really enjoyed it. The lady's mother said (before catatonia set in) that it's like belonging to a club :)

It doesn't happen often but if the interest is genuine (and I don't feel wary as I did once in London, but only initially) then I'm more than happy to stop and talk. Now, when it comes to the other way around, I am careful to observe prior to opening up any kind of conversation with someone. If they look busy, or guarded, then I'm unlikely to say anything. We were in Bryce Canyon in the US last year and there was a woman there with a Hasselblad and digital back that I was desperate to talk to but the body language wasn't right, so I didn't. I did talk to a couple with a pinhole camera though - they were probably more relaxed and used to being asked questions about their "contraption" :)

Cheers,

Jason

It's a people thing, not a camera thing. Some are extroverts, some introverts, some happy to talk, others want to be left alone.

I have in the past been approached many times when using a Leica (never when using anything else). Some of the approaches have been from people with their own Leica in hand or at home. I always respond to genuine curiosity. When the boot has been on the other foot, I have NEVER approached anyone who appears to be "in the zone" - I would hate that, and I respect it in others. I have had some pleasant chats with other enthusiasts as a result.

When in Newcastle one evening, my Leica even got me a loan of a tripod - there were a few guys taking pictures of the Sage centre over the river and I stood nearby to fire off a couple of shots. I balanced my M7 on the rail, and one guy immediately said "I know Leicas don't belong on tripods, but you're welcome to borrow mine."

As I said, a people thing.

Regards,

Bill

The Leica dot and M8 gravings are covered with black tape on mine so not many people recognize it as a Leica or M8.

A few weeks ago, I was out with a colleague and I showed him the camera. I guess he did not understand the point of that old looking camera with no autofocus. He added proudly he was going to buy a D90, a "very expensive camera". I said "Wouaaa" and changed conversation. He would not have understood why I had €7000 of equipment with me that day and gotten an insane reputation at work ;)

I do see a few M and M8 in Paris. I never approach their owners but when someone does, I'll gladly chat.

The one kind of photographer I would not want to discuss with (call me a snob) are the ones that go out with mega zooms on their pro Canikons (5D, D700) and shoot from 30 feet away. We would not understand each other.